Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Selection Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Selection Guidance

I've made a couple threads in the past few weeks and really, I've been going back and forth. The car has a broken valve spring so it's getting a cam swap.

I'm looking for a cam for my DD. I do plan on calling a couple vendors to let them help set me up(Martin, Brian, and if I can find out the number to get Ed Curtis at I'd call him too).

My number one priority is lobe selection. I don't want anything near the aggressiveness of the LSKs or anything like that. I need it to be smooth on the valve train, I would like my springs to be able to last as long as possible. Durability and reliability is my number one concern. I'm not sure how the EPS lobes rank in terms of durability, or the cam motion cams either.

Secondly I need performance. This is my first cam swap and I want to do it right the first time. My goal is anything in the 11s, 11.5-11.7 being my target. Stock 806 heads. The car will be keeping the 2.73s out back until I get a new rear. Its 3660 race weight as well. Dyno numbers don't mean a thing to me. But if I had to shoot for a number, anything over 400rwhp, 375-385rwtq. It's going behind a 4000+ PTC converter & 4L60E. Down low torque isn't a concern to me, being that I have a decent sized stall, I don't really see under 4200 from a dig and from a roll it usually flashes to 5000 or so. Mid range to high end power is my number one concern. Even in daily traffic under moderate throttle I'm seeing near or above 3000. I'm not wanting to spin it past 6500 for reliability reasons.

Planned bolt ons will be Headers to an off road x-pipe, LS6 intake and probably stock throttle body. SLP lid, chrs1313 ram air.

Street ability isn't really that big of a concern to me, I'm not selecting a cam based on its idle, but I love a nasty idle. Its getting dyno/street tuned by Frost, I'm sure he'll get it right. As long as it gets me from point a to point b I'm alright.

At first I wanted as much performance as possible. But realistically, I'm looking at durability first.

Are there any cams that can achieve all of these things? Or do I need to go custom grind. And info on lobe selection and how long springs typically last when set up right would also be nice. I'd like to know what I'm getting into maintenance wise.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have Ed Curtis' streetsweper ht and I love it. It drives great and I can easily dd it with my 3600 stall/3.73s. If you email him he wil get back to you quickly.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to martin @ Tick Performance. It sounds like the sns stage 2 would be what you are looking for. The only problem is that cam will hate your 2.73 gear.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea the 2.73s are a pain. But I want to get a cam with that gear in mind, cause for the money a decent rear costs it'll be a while before I can afford it. I might go back to street tires to make sure the 10 bolt lasts until then.

But I was actually interested in the sns cams, if I had a shorter gear I think the mild sns 3 would suit me nice, or the 2 if Martin thinks that is too big. I'm going to be calling him tomorrow, I'm interested in him solely from his customer service. It's guys like him that keep the aftermarket alive IMO.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the 2.73 gear, your rear should last longer. I have 3.23's and have made 18-20 passes dead hooking at the track with my old setup (3600 converter) and have had no issues as of yet. We'll see what happens this year... For the street I wouldn't run anything less than a drag radial.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
With the 2.73 gear, your rear should last longer. I have 3.23's and have made 18-20 passes dead hooking at the track with my old setup (3600 converter) and have had no issues as of yet. We'll see what happens this year... For the street I wouldn't run anything less than a drag radial.
That's exactly why I'm not planning on swapping gears. And honestly I really don't want to go back to a street tire. I've been running the 245 555rs and I can't even hook those in first gear. I was planning on a 275 M/T on the stock wheels. Those should be a nice summer tire.

But back on topic with the can selection, I was looking at the Brian tooley cams also. I've been wanting to call him because I've seen some stupid nice results (420rwhp through a th400 and 9" with stock 241s). I know he's pretty good but I haven't heard much else about is cams, custom or his off the shelf. Anyone have experience with those?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a custom 233/236 cam that I do on several different LSA's depending on where the desired power band is wanted that would work well.

For what you're wanting, you could also go with a 233/240 113lsa or possibly even a 235/242 112lsa if even more top end power was desired.

That said, the SNS Stage 3 or Street Heat Stage 2(LS2 version 233/240) are right there in the same neighborhood.

Really all depends on what you want.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I have a custom 233/236 cam that I do on several different LSA's depending on where the desired power band is wanted that would work well.

For what you're wanting, you could also go with a 233/240 113lsa or possibly even a 235/242 112lsa if even more top end power was desired.

That said, the SNS Stage 3 or Street Heat Stage 2(LS2 version 233/240) are right there in the same neighborhood.

Really all depends on what you want.
Appreciate the advice, I'll be giving you a call tomorrow morning.

Quick Reply: Cam Selection Guidance