Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Copper in oil..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copper in oil..

I was changing the oil in my '05 CTS-V this evening and noticed a copper colored streak as the oil was draining. It was draining into a closed style drain pan, so I couldn't get a good look at the old oil. There wasn't anything on the magnetic plug. The filter had a small amount of copper dust in the oil, but I haven't cut it open yet.

I refilled the oil, started the car and listened to the top end with a stethoscope. It develops a slight tick from the valve train once it's warmed. I had the rocker covers and valley covers off about 2,000 miles ago and didn't see any discrepancies. The car has 103,000 miles. I've had it since 50,000 and have been pretty gentle with it.

So I've got a bearing going out somewhere. So my question is, other than the mains that "make" copper when going bad, what other bearings should I check?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:19 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I'm pretty sure the stock bearings don't use copper in them. I would cut open the oil filter and take a look at the filter element itself before doing anything drastic.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
I'm pretty sure the stock bearings don't use copper in them. I would cut open the oil filter and take a look at the filter element itself before doing anything drastic.
What's the best technique to open a filter, tin snips?

My first thought was a dremel but that would actually push metal dust in the filter lol
Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01

My first thought was a dremel but that would actually push metal dust in the filter lol
Tin snips are best.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
I thought the LS6 plain bearings (main and cam) had a copper core under the bearing surface. I'll have the element pulled apart tomorrow and see what lurks.

Originally Posted by Burken01

Oil filter cutters are glorified pipe cutters. They open the filter without introducing metal shavings from the filter case via sawing or grinding. In aviation, every time you change the oil on a recip. the filter is opened and inspected.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:29 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

copper flakes in the oil is usually a sign of bearing failure

but...if you have had heads off and somebody used copper on the gaskets...it might just be the gasket stuff in the oil...in which case you may have a blown head gasket or just a blob that finally fell off..

Quick Reply: Copper in oil..