Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

<---------If you WERE GOING TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN------------->

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
if i was to do it again...i wouldnt. and my bank account would be FAT!
This is the best advice anyone can give you, lol. I would have dropped in a stocker LS1 with low miles and got out while I was still ahead. Now I have so much cash in the dang car it's not worth selling it for the market value. But man it is one badass ride
Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
FI for sure....H/C just isn't that fast and you get used to it in a few weeks.
True, but damn I'm going broke over my turbo build lol..

And then the power isn't enough still!! Turn the boost up
Old 01-15-2014, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forged LS2-3, decent heads, FI, either Turbo or Procharger
Old 01-15-2014, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Forged LS2-3, decent heads, FI, either Turbo or Procharger
10k later and you still need to upgrade everything else in the car to support it.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I said turbo or nitrous... but having a mean, snarling 450+rwhp car is still fun. Putting another 150 on top of that with a spray of some giggly juice will make it plenty fast most of the time. And that can be done on the stock bottom end.

The real money comes when you start to bullet proof the car... rearend $2500+; forged shortblock $3k+ and upwards in a hurry; if auto, built auto $2k+ and then the suspension pieces to get the power down...

It's a never ending quest to go broke.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The trick is to figure out if you are just after a minor increase and the I gotta cam sound and it runs good and is reliable. Or are you trying to ring every last pony out of it you can possibly get out of it and plan on being broke and working on it all the time.

I've done more than a few smallish non donkey dick cams that everyone here loves and swears by on mine and customers LS1's and the basics headers and lid on several 100K mile+ LS1's and they have lived a long healthy life and are still alive. If you plan on driving the pee whiney dog snot out of it or a huge cam then you may want to plan on building new motor. If you are goin to cam it go with a reasonable sized cam and drive sane 65% of time then that LS1 will go the distance no problem.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I could turn back time/If I could find a way/I'd take back those words that hurt you
And you'd stay/If I could reach the stars, I'd give them all to you/Then you'd love me, love me like you used to do!<----What Cher would do.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For not a lot of money you can hone the engine 5 thou over put a set of manly pistons and rods just of the shelf parts nothing fancy polished the stock crank, trick flow 220cc heads, vrx5 cam and a fast 102 and make 420-450 hp from a m6 i made 417 on an a4
Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Burken01
10k later and you still need to upgrade everything else in the car to support it.
OP asked if it was done a second time....... If you read my sig, EVERYTHING ELSE is already done to support it.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN

OP asked if it was done a second time....... If you read my sig, EVERYTHING ELSE is already done to support it.
I guess I meant it more for the OP, don't want to see him get in over his head if he isn't ready..

A lot of people say "do this or do that" and the problem is that they do end up doing it lmao. I was one of them
Old 01-16-2014, 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnate326
5.3 truck motor, ls intake, turbo, and 9 inch.

Also, I would have got an SS instead of a Z28.

and a t56 or a 4l80e.

sell the ls1 for 1500 bucks , buy a junkyard 5.3 or 6.0 and get a huron speed turbo kit and go that route.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

If I had the chance to do it again, I would have gone procharger, or turbo. I love the lope and everything but it's hard to beat forced induction.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim1450
Not early as often, the factory lifter & rod bearing thing is a fairly common thing as is valve train issues with aggressive camshafts.
When was the last time you've seen a decent aftermarket part fail in a street/strip type LS motor?
I work in a plant formerly owned by GM, vehicles are designed for a combination of performance, reliability & ease of assembly(which means lower cost) not to be modded & raced.
There are plenty of stock cubic inch 5.7/6.0s making good reliable power & plenty of 40x" turds.
The list could go on with decent aftermarket parts that have failed. Everything from faulty bearings, rockers, cams, springs, valves etc.

Then there is also human factors as well, I wasn't specifically targeting the aftermarket parts. Machine shop problems and incorrect work, bearing sizing, rod sizing etc.

And last there is inexperience as well whether it be improver PTV clearance, cutting corners, improper push rod length as well as improper torque etc.

So like I said its a game of chance, If he has a good running engine then work with that regardless of mileage. And judging if you should mod or buy parts with fear of doing it wrong isn't a place for this hobby. Lord knows over the years I have had made mistakes and paid for them and I have also had things work out in the end.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

amen to that!

Originally Posted by N20zuki
The list could go on with decent aftermarket parts that have failed. Everything from faulty bearings, rockers, cams, springs, valves etc.

Then there is also human factors as well, I wasn't specifically targeting the aftermarket parts. Machine shop problems and incorrect work, bearing sizing, rod sizing etc.

And last there is inexperience as well whether it be improver PTV clearance, cutting corners, improper push rod length as well as improper torque etc.

So like I said its a game of chance, If he has a good running engine then work with that regardless of mileage. And judging if you should mod or buy parts with fear of doing it wrong isn't a place for this hobby. Lord knows over the years I have had made mistakes and paid for them and I have also had things work out in the end.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YUP! You think you'll save a couple bucks and get more if you bore this, stroke that, upgrade that....takes forever and success becomes very dependent on the $20 bearing or the wrench guy who just wants to move on to the next gig.

If I were to do it over?

GMPP LSX454 600hp out of the box and a warranty.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 882 Likes on 628 Posts

If I had to do it all over again I'd call Brian Tooley and give him my credit card number. I'm actually doing it over again at the moment.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
FI for sure....H/C just isn't that fast and you get used to it in a few weeks.
+1

I'd go procharger and that's what I'm doing. Just can't find the time or the motivation to tear the car back apart this soon
Old 01-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Bob @ BruteSpeed has a very nice custom Procharger kit... grab his supercharger cam too. Nice out of the box package that will work and put down well over 600rwhp on a stock LS1.

I'd also consider a Hi-Ram in a boosted application or an LS6 intake. Or even a Super Victor with an elbow.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is really the route everyone should go if they are dead set on building a car. Pay an experienced professional and buy the best parts. It's more expensive redoing something than just doing it right once. I grenaded 3 lifters before wising up.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
If I had to do it all over again I'd call Brian Tooley and give him my credit card number. I'm actually doing it over again at the moment.
OP LilJayV10, said it give Mr. Tooley a call and he can hook you up with everything that you need. That's what I did!!!

Quick Reply: <---------If you WERE GOING TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN------------->