Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how i fixed a cracked engine block

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Sometimes the cracks are visible on the inside of the block.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I will find out this week if there is any damage.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chevynut
Well I will find out this week if there is any damage.
I think I know what I did wrong? I dipped the end of the bolt in oil just before installing them into the holes. I dont think it was enough to cause the problem, but that is all i can come up with. You would think there would be extra depth in the holes so the bolts don't bottom out.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:37 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by chevynut
I dipped the end of the bolt in oil just before installing them into the holes.
Herein lies your problem.

Did you use new GM bolts?

These bolts need to go in dry, nothing added to it by you. They come with a dry film thread locker on the threads.

These are "TTY" (Torque To Yield) bolts that allow some stretch when installed correctly and are one time use only.

The threaded hole in the block is blind and not much deeper than the bolt penetrates to. Any fluids, water, coolant, oils, grease, etc. seals the threads and as the bolt is turned in, air is compressed and cannot escape. It cracks the block.

As you heard several pops, I'll say you have several cracked head bolt holes.

You'll probably need a replacement block.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I don't like sticking paper towels down in the head threads. That's just me. The compressed air works though. And I highly recommend everyone use the proper ARP thread cleaner vs an old bolt. The old bolt works, but the ARP thread cleaner works better and refurbishes the threads.

But gravity works too. And it's not hard to remove the drain plugs. It's a good way to get all the old coolant out of the engine anyway. Just draining the radiator doesn't do it. A couple of hours is at it needs or help it along with compressed air in the water pump holes.
Can confirm this, I never felt the head bolts spin so easily than after using the ARP chaser.

I use a shop vac with a straw on the end to suck any water out, then chase with ARP thread chasers.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The two plugs you speak of, do you mean in the ones in each head? The coolant temp sensor and the block off plug?
Old 01-25-2016, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by slt200mph
A couple days......I do head swaps in a few hours not a couple of days. I never have drained a block the way you describe. Just twist up some paper towels and soak up all the coolant out of the holes and then blow them out good with compressed air. Then
chase the threads with a groove cut in a old head bolt. That method has been working great for the last dozen plus years I haven't lost a block yet ....
This is exactly what I do but I use good shop towels not white kitchen paper towels.

The homemade thread chaser works wonders...takes all of 30 seconds to make one with a dremel. Doesn't have to be perfect, just half *** cut some grooves that stuff can pack into and run them in and out and clean the "tool" then repeat until it comes out clean.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Can confirm this, I never felt the head bolts spin so easily than after using the ARP chaser.

I use a shop vac with a straw on the end to suck any water out, then chase with ARP thread chasers.
Shop vac with the straw is by far the best method. Takes 5 minutes and it is dry as a bone.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I used compressed air, paper towels, and a old bolt with half of the threads ground off. I had to repeat a couple times because a few of the bolts got really tight, so I stopped and repeated the steps, and they went right in.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ARP head bolts are torqued with ARP extreme lube on the threads... does cause any problem...?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Well, I am happy to say that all is up and running, no issues. Motor runs strong no leaks. I am pretty sure the block is cracked but luckily it didnt effect anything.

Quick Reply: how i fixed a cracked engine block