Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide...408+200shot vs. 370+turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nitrous car may be faster in the 1/4 depending on the situation. However if you take all aspects into consideration to include driveability and mpg I think the turbo would be the better route. I mean I could be wrong but I also like the idea of not having to push a button to go fast.....power all the time and adjustable with the turn of a dial or the flick of a switch!

-Sly
Old 06-02-2004, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vince, the ARE car is a C5R drag car with nitrous and a drag rear suspension. Nobody has ever built a C5R turbo car yet, although i'm sure someone will. I have raced in the NSCA and NMCA over the years where turbo's and nitrous cars run in the same classes. Currently in a class like Super Street the turbo car would be around 370-385ci against a nitrous car at 615-622ci, this makes the cars pretty equal.

I am building a turbo gen 3 for my self to do some testing of the limits of this combo on a gen 3. I am using a std ls6 head instead of the C5R with a iron 6.0 block and a 3.5 stroke for 352 ci.

I am going to see if LS1 tech will host a "game" where everyone gets a guess on how much hp and torque this engine will produce and we will send the winner a prize (probably 100. dollars) It will take about 6-8 weeks from this point to finish this engine to get the "numbers".

Vince, are you going to N vs S? We can debate the turbo vs N2O over some cocktails!!
Kurt
Originally Posted by VINCE
I like the coolness factor of a turbo, but if FAST is what you want.. I think the nitrous car is going to win. We can go back and forth, but the tried and true mod has already proven this point over and over again. By adding the comment optimized to the equation you have also optimized the nitrous car. Just look at the MPH of the ARE LS1 Nitrous cars. Compare their MPH of those of turbo'd LS1's. Actually just take a look at the ET list in the drag racing section.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

427- Sounds like we are in the same boat, the engine I'm having built it strictly for a turbo, o-ringed block, arp head studs etc.. also using a set of ported LS6 heads with 2.08/1.57 valves that flow around 320-325cfm. Which turbo are you going with? I thought about the new GT45 but due to the physical dimensions went with the T70 for now.

-Sly
Old 06-02-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

You'll be screwing around tuning the turbo setup forever. Once you have the nitrous dialed in it is easy as pie and super consistent. Plus you'll also make great power on motor.

I was in the FI game for years (Supercharging) going back to NA was the best thing I ever did for my sanity

I am staying NA I like my warranty
Old 06-02-2004, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's not a problem. I have plenty of time
Old 06-02-2004, 09:19 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
You'll be screwing around tuning the turbo setup forever. Once you have the nitrous dialed in it is easy as pie and super consistent. Plus you'll also make great power on motor.

I was in the FI game for years (Supercharging) going back to NA was the best thing I ever did for my sanity

I am staying NA I like my warranty
this is my first turbo and my 2nd tuning experience and it has been prety easy to tune(so far). i have a mostly stock 6.0 tuned for 14psi and a 60deg night. i max the maf(60lb's) at 5200rpm. i got the tune dialed in and have been driving it daily for a month now with no problems or screwing around at all.

if consistancy is important then yeah the nitrous set up would rule. i bet i varry 100hp between a 60deg night run and a 90+deg afternoon run.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by parish8
this is my first turbo and my 2nd tuning experience and it has been prety easy to tune(so far). i have a mostly stock 6.0 tuned for 14psi and a 60deg night. i max the maf(60lb's) at 5200rpm. i got the tune dialed in and have been driving it daily for a month now with no problems or screwing around at all.

if consistancy is important then yeah the nitrous set up would rule. i bet i varry 100hp between a 60deg night run and a 90+deg afternoon run.
When I was into SC'ing LS1edit wasnt around. Had to be creative in controlling timing etc
Old 06-02-2004, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya that makes a difference lol. I'm using HPTuners so it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Sly, I bought a Precision Turbo hybrid. Its a 94mm inlet on Harry's favorite large frame Garrett. PTC has never done me wrong on these deals so I follow there lead blindly!!
The hard part will be making the head gaskets stay sealed and keeping the main caps from walking. Should be a ton of fun. I can't wait to dyno the engine to test it out!!
Kurt
Originally Posted by slyws6
427- Sounds like we are in the same boat, the engine I'm having built it strictly for a turbo, o-ringed block, arp head studs etc.. also using a set of ported LS6 heads with 2.08/1.57 valves that flow around 320-325cfm. Which turbo are you going with? I thought about the new GT45 but due to the physical dimensions went with the T70 for now.

-Sly
Old 06-02-2004, 03:05 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 427
Sly, I bought a Precision Turbo hybrid. Its a 94mm inlet on Harry's favorite large frame Garrett. PTC has never done me wrong on these deals so I follow there lead blindly!!
The hard part will be making the head gaskets stay sealed and keeping the main caps from walking. Should be a ton of fun. I can't wait to dyno the engine to test it out!!
Kurt
Kurt I want to talk to you at N vs S.I have an idea for a very sick combo with C5R heads and a turbo.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

You should stop by sometime. I have a C5R block and head turbo motor that we started for a customer that ran out of money thats a really nice piece.
Kurt
Originally Posted by 422 SS
Kurt I want to talk to you at N vs S.I have an idea for a very sick combo with C5R heads and a turbo.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:48 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by 427
Vince, the ARE car is a C5R drag car with nitrous and a drag rear suspension. Nobody has ever built a C5R turbo car yet, although i'm sure someone will. I have raced in the NSCA and NMCA over the years where turbo's and nitrous cars run in the same classes. Currently in a class like Super Street the turbo car would be around 370-385ci against a nitrous car at 615-622ci, this makes the cars pretty equal.

I am building a turbo gen 3 for my self to do some testing of the limits of this combo on a gen 3. I am using a std ls6 head instead of the C5R with a iron 6.0 block and a 3.5 stroke for 352 ci.

I am going to see if LS1 tech will host a "game" where everyone gets a guess on how much hp and torque this engine will produce and we will send the winner a prize (probably 100. dollars) It will take about 6-8 weeks from this point to finish this engine to get the "numbers".

Vince, are you going to N vs S? We can debate the turbo vs N2O over some cocktails!!
Kurt
Kurt, I wish I could go hang out with you guys.. I promised my dad I would take him down memory lane that weekend. My dad graduated from LSU. He is not doing well and wants to see his old school.. I will try and make the TR Shootout this year though.

I wanted to go turbo so bad at one time, but the tuning and other issues at the time were just too disturbing.. I do plan to go turbo one day, but I will use a car that already has a turbo on it.. Like say a T-type or GN.. The SS has more than enough engine for me right now. The type of racing I do does not require a drag car. I roll race with the Supras.. My next car I will build to go up top with them as well. Some of those Supras like to race from 30mph to 200mph. I wonder if I could get a GN to roll that fast with the proper suspension..
Old 06-03-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Veteran

go with the turbo....
Old 06-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Shorty Director

Yes a turbo would be cool.. Just remember you will have the added weight of the iron block plus the added weight of all that turbo plumbing. HOWEVER, you will be able to boost the hell out of that setup to offset the weight..
Old 06-03-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Vince,
I think dad is more important in this case.

I choose my current CI (352) so i could be legal in C blown gas coupe for the top end racing. The current record in C at Maxton is 169 mph. I would like to run that class next year with my Firebird i'm building.

My car with that engine will also be legal in LS1 Tech extreme street.

Turbo is probably most expensive initial investment but lowest cost upkeep. Guess you take the good with the bad!!

Kurt
Originally Posted by VINCE
Kurt, I wish I could go hang out with you guys.. I promised my dad I would take him down memory lane that weekend. My dad graduated from LSU. He is not doing well and wants to see his old school.. I will try and make the TR Shootout this year though.

I wanted to go turbo so bad at one time, but the tuning and other issues at the time were just too disturbing.. I do plan to go turbo one day, but I will use a car that already has a turbo on it.. Like say a T-type or GN.. The SS has more than enough engine for me right now. The type of racing I do does not require a drag car. I roll race with the Supras.. My next car I will build to go up top with them as well. Some of those Supras like to race from 30mph to 200mph. I wonder if I could get a GN to roll that fast with the proper suspension..
Old 06-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by 427
Vince,
I think dad is more important in this case.

I choose my current CI (352) so i could be legal in C blown gas coupe for the top end racing. The current record in C at Maxton is 169 mph. I would like to run that class next year with my Firebird i'm building.

My car with that engine will also be legal in LS1 Tech extreme street.

Turbo is probably most expensive initial investment but lowest cost upkeep. Guess you take the good with the bad!!

Kurt
Sounds like you are going to have a MONSTER!!! We all wait to see that MONSTER at one of the shootouts running in the Outlaw Class or something..
Old 06-04-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well there I go again...After SEMA I contacted Mahle and at that time, which in retrospect, was november, they did not have them, although they seemed willing... then again that was for a 4.030 bore. Thanks for the update. Did...it...you know the ..ahh..."stuff" ...ship? See you at NS.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Your "stuff" will be here today.
Kurt
Originally Posted by Jammer
Well there I go again...After SEMA I contacted Mahle and at that time, which in retrospect, was november, they did not have them, although they seemed willing... then again that was for a 4.030 bore. Thanks for the update. Did...it...you know the ..ahh..."stuff" ...ship? See you at NS.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great, now we just need to get the "stuff" over there! I gettin' scared I'll be running my silverado at NS instead of my TT!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Jammer,
You guys can pick up your box and harness anytime.
Kurt
Originally Posted by Jammer
Great, now we just need to get the "stuff" over there! I gettin' scared I'll be running my silverado at NS instead of my TT!

Quick Reply: Help me decide...408+200shot vs. 370+turbo