Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with cam sensor leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with cam sensor leaking

Eng is in a 2000 Vette. Started leaking oil abt a month ago. Thought it was the oil press sensor but when I removed it, it was dry as a bone. Bought a new cam position sensor, removed intake and installed it. Still leaking oil. Figured it must be the rear main or rear cover plate. Removed tranny/diff and torque tube. Removed the flex plate and cleaned the rear of the eng with solvent including the little hole where you can see part of the cam sensor. Re-installed flex plate and idled eng for a few mins. Removed flex plate and inspected. Main seal and rear cover are dry. Looked inside the hole where the cam sensor is and there was a puddle of oil.

Spoke to a LS1 tech at the local chevy dealership and he recommended applying some Delco engine sealant to the cam sensor o-ring after a good cleaning of the area. Cleaned out hole for cam sensor with brake cleaner and dried. Installed the cam sensor with the suggested sealant. It's still leaking. Not as bad as before but still leaking.

Any suggestions guys??

Last edited by z28z; 01-21-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Where are you seeing the oil leak? If it is by the oil filter, it could be the oil temp sensor or the oil cooler blocking plate the sensor goes in.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 PM

Yes I confirmed it was the cam sensor.

I think I got it sealed today. Removed sensor and cleaned out the hole with a wire brush (12g shotgun bore cleaner) in a drill. Cleaned cam sensor and re-installed with a light coat of eng oil on o-ring. So far, so good.

Thinking when a little oil gets by the o-ring it collects dirt from the chamber being open to the rear of the eng. The dirt/oil turns to crude which if not cleaned out, prevents the new o-ring from sealing properly.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:21 PM

After driving the car today it appears I still have a small leak. Anyone know of an alternative O-ring that can be used on the cam sensor? I'd like to try one that's just a hair thicker.

Quick Reply: Need help with cam sensor leaking