Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far can you mill before having intake manifold alignment issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default How far can you mill before having intake manifold alignment issues?

My heads might be coming off the car for another matter and since my car has always struggled to find compression (LS3 heads, -3.2cc wiseco, zero deck pistons), I was considering milling even further. I'm only at 10.1:1. It would be nice if I could get to 10.6 or there abouts.

They are currently milled .030" and I run a .040" cometic gasket.

Can I mill anymore or will I run into alignment issues? I was thinking of taking .020" more off.

I don't want "IMO", I want people who have actually milled this much.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:56 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Take a look when the manifold comes off and see for yourself. Nobody can give you a good answer to within .020" (half the thickness of a dime), which I wouldn't think would really even be much of an issue in the first place. If your engine is zero deck, then the deck has been cut which for anyone trying to help you would be an unknown variable. If the mains were align honed, that could throw another variable into it.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No the deck hasn't been cut, Wiseco pistons are just zero deck pistons.

What can I look for when I take the intake manifold off? Where the seals are lining up or something?

AI offers 60cc ls3 heads in their basic rebuild package, so it appears it can be done no problem.

http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...21GMPRHead.php
Old 02-07-2014, 09:44 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by mchicia1
No the deck hasn't been cut, Wiseco pistons are just zero deck pistons.

What can I look for when I take the intake manifold off? Where the seals are lining up or something?

AI offers 60cc ls3 heads in their basic rebuild package, so it appears it can be done no problem.

http://www.advancedinduction.com/LSX...21GMPRHead.php
It can be done, but you're lopping off about .050".

The quick and dirty method is to scribe reference marks along the top and bottom of the runners on the head and manifold that you can see when they are bolted together. When the manifold is bolted back on, you should be able to see what the mismatch is between the reference marks on the head and the reference marks on the manifold.

Quick Reply: How far can you mill before having intake manifold alignment issues?