Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Roller Timing Set Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Double Roller Timing Set Installation Question

Installing an N-Motion double roller timing chain set on a Callies crank in an AES 390 with a Lingenfelter oil pump. The sprocket that was in the kit for the pump is cut down and that makes sense to me to make up for the thickness of the chain crank sprocket. However, what I noticed is that when the oil pump is installed with the spacers, the pump sprocket is recessed within the oil pump gear. My thinking is when the Powerbond balancer is installed to get the proper belt alignment, it is going to bottom out against the pump gear which will be driven into the pump housing.

Only solution I see is to use a standard length pump sprocket that will protrude slightly pass the pump gear so that the balancer will bottom out on it and not the pump gear. Only accessory I use is the alternator and that means it and the tensioner would have to spaced out to align with the balancer.

Has anyone else run into this? I am also thinking the cut down pump sprocket would protrude pass the pump gear on a stock pump but is recessed because the Lingenfelter pump is thicker than a stocker. Is a Melling pump the same thickness as a stocker? Would hate to have to buy another pump as this Lingenfelter pump has ben ported.

So, is what I am seeing out of the norm? Anyone see any issues with using the stock pump sprocket and spacing the alternator/tensioner?

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmmm. I used the same double roller with a melling high volume pump. It set just like it did with the stock pump and crank gear.

Something may be wrong with that pump. I also had to clearance my pump a lil on the back side to clear the timing chain. Also clearanced a few spots inside the timing cover. Dremel worked nice.

Post up a few pics to help out a lil bit.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks for the response. Front cover and balancer is already on and only want to removed them if spacing out the alternator/tensioner is deemed not a good idea. Still trying to determine if the thickness of the Lingenfelter pump is the issue.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used a mellings also and have had no isuues as you're describing.can you post some pics?

Quick Reply: Double Roller Timing Set Installation Question