Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setup advice? Help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setup advice? Help appreciated!

Hey all! I have been doing lots of research but I find myself at a crossroad. I am definitely going to be getting an LS1 to build as a project this summer.

As some background info, this engine will eventually get dropped into a really light (like.. 1700-1800lbs light) kit (Miata-based Exocet). It will be a weekend canyon carver and also taken to the occasional drag strip.
Now I'm not looking for advice that tries to persuade me out of dropping it into something like this, but more like what will get me the best setup for something like this.

So here it is:
I am looking for around 425rwhp and close to 400ft lbs.
I was interested in the PRC 2.5 ported heads and the cam package that comes along with it (includes heads, cam, pushrods, springs, oil pump, and timing chain). I am also looking for a cam. And this is where I am really looking for input, since there are so many good reviews for each of these:

MS3, Streetsweeper, Streetsweeper HT, or Torquer V2 (don't want to flycut for V3).

I was thinking that hooking up with a cam with a high mid-range at such a low weight could be an issue (I know it'll lose traction anyway), so maybe a max effort cam like the MS3 could be a good candidate, as it will haul *** up top and provide more than enough mid-range torque for 1800lbs anyway. It will be a canyon carver with occasional drag strip time, but I prioritize pulling out of corners more than an all-out high-RPM cam.

I have heard great things about the SS-HT and Torquer V2 in the mid-RPMs, so does anyone have some input as to which setup would be good?
Any and all input is appreciated!
Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Which PRC 2.5 heads are you talking? I agree the MS3 cam might be best here...especially if you want maximum performance. I ran the Torquer V2 in my old setup really liked it (not enough top end pull IMO) but Iike my new cam much better...very similar to the M3
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Which PRC 2.5 heads are you talking? I agree the MS3 cam might be best here...especially if you want maximum performance. I ran the Torquer V2 in my old setup really liked it (not enough top end pull IMO) but Iike my new cam much better...very similar to the M3
The Stage 2.5 CNC ported LS6 heads. Thank you for your input!! I like the sound of a max performance cam pulling hard up top and there should be more than enough mid range torque, right?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out of the cams listed I would go with the Streetsweeper (236/240 .630/.615 111 LSA)
Old 03-01-2014, 09:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you specifically hung up on paying the extra high price for an LS1 or are you willing to consider something more up to date.

I would consider looking for an aluminum 5.3l with the 243/799 heads. You don't need displacement for lowend and with the later engine you could get a better head, better rodbolts, you would likely still need a car intake but LS1s command such a premium price I can rarely see any reason to actually use one.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lhatanaka
The Stage 2.5 CNC ported LS6 heads. Thank you for your input!! I like the sound of a max performance cam pulling hard up top and there should be more than enough mid range torque, right?
With your car being so light I would imagine there being plenty of mid range torque. Mine hits like a **** around 4k and tha'ts in a 3500lb car...but I also have a 4.10 gear. Your gering will be a big factor as well
Old 03-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poltergeist 02
Out of the cams listed I would go with the Streetsweeper (236/240 .630/.615 111 LSA)
Thanks!! I appreciate the input. Any reasoning though?

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Are you specifically hung up on paying the extra high price for an LS1 or are you willing to consider something more up to date.

I would consider looking for an aluminum 5.3l with the 243/799 heads. You don't need displacement for lowend and with the later engine you could get a better head, better rodbolts, you would likely still need a car intake but LS1s command such a premium price I can rarely see any reason to actually use one.
I know that the LS1 is a high price to pay, but I am worried about fitment of different components on the car (there are specific headers for it and close fitment all around), so I'd rather go with less hassle for a bit of extra cash.
Any input on the Stage 2.5 LS6 ported heads though? Good or bad?

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
With your car being so light I would imagine there being plenty of mid range torque. Mine hits like a **** around 4k and tha'ts in a 3500lb car...but I also have a 4.10 gear. Your gering will be a big factor as well
I will definitely look into that MS3 more! Thanks! And no PTV clearance issues, correct? Without milling heads (say i used these LS6 heads)?
Old 03-01-2014, 06:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A 5.3l would fit exactly the same and can come with the casting head you want to buy. This is GM HUGE interchangeability from 4.8l-6.2l. If you think a 5.3l fitment is any different from a 5.7l then you don't understand GM atall.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
A 5.3l would fit exactly the same and can come with the casting head you want to buy. This is GM HUGE interchangeability from 4.8l-6.2l. If you think a 5.3l fitment is any different from a 5.7l then you don't understand GM atall.
Then I guess I'm still sold on the LS1. Price difference and all, I think it fits what I'm looking for the best. Thank you though!!

Quick Reply: Setup advice? Help appreciated!