Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3l LM4 Build 97 firebird

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3l LM4 Build 97 firebird

Hi, im just starting my project. I have a 97 Pontiac Firebird, it currently has a 3.8l v6 engine with an automatic transmission. Its my daily driver right now so I plan on keeping it together for now, the plan is to wait till mid to late summer time when I hope to have the engine and everything I need ready to be installed on the car. I have read alot about the ls series of engines, and I have concluded that the best way to go in my case would be to get a 5.3l LM4 from the junk yard. I am currently looking for the engine at local junkyards and Craigslist. I have already purchased a transmission that I plan to have rebuilt to handle the horsepower it is a 4l60e from a 2000 camero with a v6 with only 80k miles. I hope to make 400+hp. This is a budget build but since im not planning on removing the old engine from my car untill I have everything to put the new engine in, im not in a rush and plan to take my time and make sure that the car is going to be reliable when im done (again this is my daily driver). I would like to ask for any suggestions or tips that will help me through the build. I am also looking for suggestions on different ways to help me reach my goal of 400+hp.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want my honest and up front suggestion for your build, unless you have a lot of sentimental attachment to it, I would simply purchase a '99+ f-body with an LS1 already in it and sell off your current vehicle. By the time you spend the money to do the whole swap using a 5.3 you could have bought a newer body style f-body with an aluminum LS1 already in it and save a lot of time, headaches, and busted knuckles.

Just my .02.

Lonnie
Old 03-08-2014, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the hard truth you would need a full wiring harness plus PCM to get it up and running. I just saw a 80k 2000 6 speed SS for 5k OBO on CL.

Quick Reply: 5.3l LM4 Build 97 firebird