Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing chain -LS2 or Cloyes

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain -LS2 or Cloyes

I was going to buy the LS2 chain and new gears, but think I might be leaning towards the Cloyes 9-3153A from SDPC instead. I think it comes with the LS2 chain and is adjustable. I don't want to screw around with a dampener, and I may not even need to.

Is there an advantage running this vs. the stock LS2 chain/gears other than being adjustable? I'm assuming I wouldn't have to worry about slack. This is not much more money than stock chain/gears.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it takes out the chain slack.

You should degree any cam install, but with an aftermarket timing set that is adjustable, you REALLY need to degree it in to ensure everything is kosher.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The timing damper prevents chain wrap when coming down in RPM. It isn't to take out slack. I would still strongly recommend one.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Cloyes. The gears provide the precision. The chain provides the strength. Get the Cloyes with the C5R chain and run the LS6 damper.

I run the LS6 damper and a Rollmaster double row chain. Very precise timing and no slack - Cloyes with hexajust is even more precise and easier to use. Cloyes also takes out the slack as the chains are hand matched to the gears.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

C5R chain FTW. Still hasn't been one broken yet.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Teching In

I ended up buying the Cloyes 9-3153A hex-a-just set. I talked to SDPC and was told the chain is comparable to the LS2. Not sure if it's the same part number but it is heavy duty and a true roller chain. I figured for what I'm doing it should be fine.

I'd have to pick up the Trick Flow dampener adapter bracket and LS2 dampener in order to run it on my block. I understand the purpose of the dampener, but if you remove most of the slack with the Cloyes set, compared to what a stock LS2 timing set has, is the dampener really necessary, or just recommended?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Friggy
I ended up buying the Cloyes 9-3153A hex-a-just set. I talked to SDPC and was told the chain is comparable to the LS2. Not sure if it's the same part number but it is heavy duty and a true roller chain. I figured for what I'm doing it should be fine.

I'd have to pick up the Trick Flow dampener adapter bracket and LS2 dampener in order to run it on my block. I understand the purpose of the dampener, but if you remove most of the slack with the Cloyes set, compared to what a stock LS2 timing set has, is the dampener really necessary, or just recommended?
The chain IS the ls2 chain, Renold makes both.

I got the same set, it's a good deal @ $110 shipped.

You don't *need* the damper, it's just nice to have. I opted to go with a c5r chain, cloyes timing set, and an ATI superdamper.

My car is a street car. I would probably get struck my lightning before I would break a chain in this car.

If I were you, I'd take the money towards the damper, and see if you can find an ATI superdamper instead. A lot of times they sell ones with minor blemishes on ebay for $215, that's how I got mine.

Everything really depends on how you run your car.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mchicia1
The chain IS the ls2 chain, Renold makes both.

I got the same set, it's a good deal @ $110 shipped.

You don't *need* the damper, it's just nice to have. I opted to go with a c5r chain, cloyes timing set, and an ATI superdamper.

My car is a street car. I would probably get struck my lightning before I would break a chain in this car.

If I were you, I'd take the money towards the damper, and see if you can find an ATI superdamper instead. A lot of times they sell ones with minor blemishes on ebay for $215, that's how I got mine.

Everything really depends on how you run your car.
Thanks for the input. That's exactly how I feel about the dampener. I realize it's a good idea, but for what I am doing with this car I didn't really think it's necessary.

The Cloyes is a good deal, and I expect it to be better than a chain with stock gears.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I cannot think of a good reason NOT to use the damper. Especially if you have high rate springs. Think about last summer. How many times did you wrap it up to a higher rpm, and then close the throttle? We all do it, because it feels good and sounds good.

Apparently, it's that rapid engine deceleration that gets you. One side of the chain gets tight, and the other side gets a little slack in it. that's when it whips around and bad things happen. With a good chain, you're not likely to break it. But it will stretch and wear a lot faster. And there goes your valve timing.

I've been road racing a SBF for the last decade. I tear the engine down every two years at a minimum. I use the best chains and gears I can find. Unfortunately, the SBF does not have any support for the chain. Every time I tear the engine down, that high quality/expensive chain is stretched out and floppy. I spend nearly $200 on new gears and chain with every tear down.

Personally, I plan on spending those small bux to prevent that from happening in this engine.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Renolds distributes the Cloyes sets to GM.....

Cloyes makes the chain and gear sets..
Old 03-13-2014, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

http://m.corvetteforum.com/c5-tech/315780-timing-chains-katech-vs-stock-vs-cloyes-pics-inside.html?styleid=140
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Interesting.

That was from 2002, before the LS2 chain was out. Can anyone verify for sure that the older cloyes set now comes with an ls2 chain? I know they stopped making the ls1 chain a while back.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mchicia1
Interesting.

That was from 2002, before the LS2 chain was out. Can anyone verify for sure that the older cloyes set now comes with an ls2 chain? I know they stopped making the ls1 chain a while back.
All the replies in this thread, and everything I have researched says it does. I called SDPC and asked them and they also said it does. Hopefully mine will be here tomorrow and I will post up a picture of the new set vs. my original LS1 chain.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:53 AM
Teching In

I got my timing set installed and love it. Really nice set and has the heavy duty chain. I decided to go with the Trick Flow timing chain dampener set. One thing I learned from this is do not install the dampener before your timing chain. It is impossible to get the chain on with it installed. The dampener fit on to the bracket so tight I didn't dare trying to pull it off with fear of breaking it. I ended up pulling my crank gear back off and sliding the chain and gears on together.

Anyways here is a picture of the Cloyes vs. stock :
Attached Thumbnails Timing chain -LS2 or Cloyes-img_20140322_131935_432.jpg   Timing chain -LS2 or Cloyes-img_20140322_132419_246.jpg   Timing chain -LS2 or Cloyes-102_1916.jpg   Timing chain -LS2 or Cloyes-102_1920.jpg  
Old 03-30-2014, 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get an older 9-3153A? Looks like your was manufactured in Aug 05, before they started machining the cam sprocket for a thrust bearing. The 9-3158A or the newer 3153s come with the bearing.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
Did you get an older 9-3153A? Looks like your was manufactured in Aug 05, before they started machining the cam sprocket for a thrust bearing. The 9-3158A or the newer 3153s come with the bearing.
Yes it is the 9-3153A. You are correct, it does not have the bearing. I was originally going to go with a LS2 chain and stock gears, but decided to grab this instead. Mostly because of price and wanted to be able to degree my cam in.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will that Trick Flow timing chain dampener set work with a double rollers Sets also?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Default is there any issues with tensioner wear?

on other makes (turbo buick) the roller chains destroy the tensioners very quickly.
any reports of similar problems?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NuckenFuts
Will that Trick Flow timing chain dampener set work with a double rollers Sets also?
I don't know. Here is the link to what I bought...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tf...5600/overview/

Originally Posted by cruzn57
on other makes (turbo buick) the roller chains destroy the tensioners very quickly.
Lets hope not. Would defeat the purpose of having it.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzn57
Bumping this after a year because I'm wondering the same thing. Most other tensioners I've seen actually push on the chain all the time (probably just OHC engines), which would explain the wear.

Quick Reply: Timing chain -LS2 or Cloyes