Sponsored by:

What pistons to get? An short block tms

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What pistons to get? An short block tms

Looking at a short block for my 69 camaro ls1 befor my ls1 gets to tired
Looking to get one from tms Going with a 5.7 ls1. But have diff pistons I can pick from. Tms pistons hypereutectic 3.898 guessing they r stock pistons just be cleaned an checked, or Forged Probe pistons 3.902" Flat top -3cc
Everything else in the short block is the same l33 bored to a
The only diff is pistons an price which is $400.00 more for forged

The motor is n/a with 241 heads 92/92 with t-Rex cam. Do I need forged pistons?

Was staying with aluminum motor for weight. Thought about going with a 6.0 aluminum from tms but just don't see that much of a gain in hp/tq for the extra $600.00 for base hypereutectic pistons an would have to Change over stuff like cover an wire harness to work for a 6.0 (what I have read). On here.. Not for sure if that's true

Would it be smart to just pay an get forged pistons to have the guy on my shoulder saying it's somewhat stronger of a motor?

Dyno the car it's making 455hp/421tq at the flywheel on a dyno jet I believe (James short) ShorTuning Dyno an tuner. An when I did swap out short blocks I was thinking of getting the 241 worked over valve job, an ported and polished was like to make 500hp at the motor. Would I get 40-50 hp for getting the heads worked on?
Thanks an sorry for all the questions
Jason
Old 03-23-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You don't really need forged pistons at your power level, but IMO why not go for it while you're doing all this! That's exactly what I did when I went with my TMS 6.0 iron block. Went ahead and got some Diamond forged pistons and forged I-beam rods too. Now I can throw over 800 hp at it with no worries if I choose to at some point Getting the 6.0 won't net you much more hp (if everything else is the same) but it will bring up the tq a little and bring it in sooner as well. Now the cool thing is with that T-Rex cam it would be more suitable to that 6.0, and if you port the 241's it will really shine! I say get the forged LQ9 and don't look back! This was my dilemma at first as well, but i'm so glad I did! Also TMS is a awesome company to deal with!!
Old 03-23-2014, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

6.0 will bring up compression and cubic inch. You will see a solid 20rwhp gain from the LS2 over the 5.7. I wouldn't go forged pistons on stock rods... No point since the rods are the power limitation anyway. Plus ring seal is better for a NA motor with hyperuetectic pistons than a forged piston.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
6.0 will bring up compression and cubic inch. You will see a solid 20rwhp gain from the LS2 over the 5.7. I wouldn't go forged pistons on stock rods... No point since the rods are the power limitation anyway. Plus ring seal is better for a NA motor with hyperuetectic pistons than a forged piston.
Hey james didn't think u would see this lol. Hope u had a good time on the cruise bro. You know the ls1 is strong, In the camaro just thinking for later so I wouldn't be down a long time trying to get one lol. How much hp gains have u seen with a 241's worked over with p&p an valve jobs. An what all would I have to do diff to make the 6.0 work in the Camaro I know I would have to drill a hole an tab for alternator. But not sure since idk if tms use a true 6.0 yet waiting on a pm from them on that answer.
Here's the short 6.0 ls2 I was looking at for 2,600
TMS Hypereutectic Piston set 4.000"

TMS Moly Rings

Blueprinted NEW GM Gen IV 6.0 Aluminum (LS2) block

GM Floating Connecting Rods remanufactued

GM Crankshaft Polished, Chamfered and Balanced core

King Racing Main and Rod Bearings

Thompson Motorsports one piece racing cam bearings

**This Short Block is rated to 450HP**

Are get a iron ls2 370 ci for 2k. Save $600 but add 100lbs to the front end. Mmmm
Old 03-23-2014, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

An since the trex cam opens the valve to max. Should I be worried if I go with 6.0 with piston to valves
Old 03-23-2014, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by James@ShorTuning
Plus ring seal is better for a NA motor with hyperuetectic pistons than a forged piston.
Smart man right here !!!!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
Smart man right here !!!!
James is the man in ky for tuning! He knows his stuff
Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 PM
FormerVendor

The 6.0 really depends on which block they start with. If it's an aluminum block it is 99% chance it's either an LS2 or L76 block. The only difference is the cam sensor is on the front of the engine and the knock sensors are on the side of the block. You'll also have to make sure you tell them you need a 24x 1x crank/cam configuration. Simple pnp wire extension for the cam sensor and some wiring for the LS2 knock sensor to the 0411 PCM is all that's needed. A lot of guys drill and tap a larger hole in the side of the block to use the LS1 knock sensors but I'd rather wire the LS2 sensors up correctly and use them. Some PCM programming is needed to make them work as well but I got ya covered there.

Piston to valve shouldn't be any different if using a stock LS2 because they use the same size crank rods and piston height as an LS1. The difference would come in with what heads you decide to use with the combo. If you went to all the trouble I would just flycut the pistons anyway. If done properly it doesn't hurt the integrity of the piston.

As for heads unless you are doing the AI 241's I would leave them on the LS1 and score some 243's and have them worked. I did a stock 241 to TEA CNC st2 head and average gains are right around 40rwhp on them. Stock 243's will gain you ~15hp over stock 241's. I would look into a fast intake prior to spending the bucks on porting heads. With a TREX cam the gains won't be as good over the 241's. The cam holds the valves open so long it's filling the cylinder even though the head doesn't flow as good. So adding a head that flows more isn't going to help a setup out as much that is already filling the cylinder. It'll still help just not as much as someone that has a 228 cam or similar.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was going to use my 92/92 set up with the 241 heads that's on the ls1 now an my oil pan. An same headers. I was hoping to find some 243/799 heads but people want 500 r more. An they have 100k miles on them. So I was hoping to get the 6.0 an clean the 241's up some an get the goal of 400/415rwhp Would like to get 500hp at flywheel
Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 AM
FormerVendor

I had forgot you already had the fast intake setup. AI is about the only ones I would use on 241's. They weld up the chambers and CNC them to shape them like they want and ends up being a lot smaller chamber to bump compression as well. They aren't cheap to have done though...

If you shop around the 243/799 can be found reasonable. I could probably help find a set for you.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lol I sent u a pm on Facebook asking to help look my goal is 500hp at flywheel so when the ls1 is die I'll have the 6.0 an 243/799 ready to just drop in an have my goal, I Hope that is .. Do u think I need to have the 243's worked on just a little bit? To get 500hp? I asked tmp about what block they use he didn't answer me. but said he would sale me the 6.0 for 3k but with my ptv Clarence I would need the forge piston. I told him I'll just save the money flycut the others pistons. an still didn't answer what block they use. I'll just have to wait for that answer I guess, on the block U still have my number James? If u do find any heads for a fair deal just let text me or fb me.

Quick Reply: What pistons to get? An short block tms