Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I know what you mean now, I've seen that before. Dexcool does that on the bottom of the cap too over a period of time.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Have a compression test and a cooling system pressure check which will determine if there's a blown head gasket. No sense changing oil and flushing the cooling system because the blue and white smoke indicate there's a problem. And don't drive it at all except to a shop that can perform the tests until you figure out whats wrong with it.
I know that white smoke usually isnt very good, but its still pretty cold here in NY, it was like 30* outside, so it might just be that. But im definitely gonna do some maintenance on it, and I'm taking it to a mechanic tomorrow, to have him look at it. Added to all the problems is also an oil leak i believe but its only when the car is parked and its not too big.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
The smoke could be from valve stem seals, it could be from a shitty PCV system and it's sucking oil, etc. The dried up sand looking stuff is probably dried up consendation. It happens.

Post a picture of this milky coolant. Someone could have mixed Dex-cool with the green stuff.
I will post pictures as soon as its bright outside.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

well if the oil is leaking while parked its most likely a bad oil pan gasket not a big geal. if youre ever in the long island area might i reccomend a great mechanic Barnwells house of tires. wont bring my car anywhere else theyll take good care of you
Old 03-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 86Z28USAF
well if the oil is leaking while parked its most likely a bad oil pan gasket not a big geal. if youre ever in the long island area might i reccomend a great mechanic Barnwells house of tires. wont bring my car anywhere else theyll take good care of you
I might take a ride down there for a second opinion after i get my car checked out, thank you for the reference!!!!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:01 AM
Launching!

The smoke could be from valve stem seals, it could be from a shitty PCV system and it's sucking oil, etc. The dried up sand looking stuff is probably dried up consendation. It happens.

Post a picture of this milky coolant. Someone could have mixed Dex-cool with the green stuff.
Okay so this is how coolant looks after the mechanic added some 2 days ago, i tough it looked way different before. And also that the "sand" looking stuff on the dip stick, any idea of what it is?
Attached Thumbnails Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.-20140327_115420.jpg   Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.-20140327_115509.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Coolant looks fine, its just been changed out from the factory orange dexcool is all. I thought you were referring to the oil dipstick, haha. Thats the coolant dipstick thats just got old dexcool coolant dried up on it probably from a leaking overflow tank. Happened to all 4 of my fbody cars and with problems. I just never filled the coolant overflow tank back up. I think its fine.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Coolant looks fine, its just been changed out from the factory orange dexcool is all. I thought you were referring to the oil dipstick, haha. Thats the coolant dipstick thats just got old dexcool coolant dried up on it probably from a leaking overflow tank. Happened to all 4 of my fbody cars and with problems. I just never filled the coolant overflow tank back up. I think its fine.
I hope its fine, but its still blowing white smoke even after its been on for a while. I gotta figure out whats going on there.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 86Z28USAF
Okay so the oil turned out to be power steering coming from the rack. But the car was also leaking coolant, but that was coming from a whole in one of the hose, we cut the hose of by the cut and placed it back. It should work for now, but im still concerned about the white smoke.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Usually if a engine is burning antifreeze you can smell the exhaust and tell, It should smell like antifreeze. You could also do a cooling system pressure test and that would show if its leaking. The leak can be internal like into the oil or cylinders or external like the leak you already found. One thing for sure is that if there is another leak the pressure will go down on the guage.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Usually if a engine is burning antifreeze you can smell the exhaust and tell, It should smell like antifreeze. You could also do a cooling system pressure test and that would show if its leaking. The leak can be internal like into the oil or cylinders or external like the leak you already found. One thing for sure is that if there is another leak the pressure will go down on the guage.
well the way we found the leak is by putting like a pump on the coolant tank, but after we fixed it it seemed to be holding pressure. is this the type of test you are talking about?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Is it actually white smoke or is it just cold outside? Does said white smoke smell sweet?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Latigo
Is it actually white smoke or is it just cold outside? Does said white smoke smell sweet?
i cant tell if it smells sweet and it is cold outside but it keeps blowing white smoke even after driving for a while and even when u shot the car off there is still small amount coming out.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do like I said and give the car a tune up. Have the radiator flushed and put a thermostat on it. Change the oil and filter. Change the spark plugs and post pictures of the old plugs, making note of what cylinders they came out of. If you are burning coolant, which I don't believe you are, we will be able to tell by the plugs.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 AM
Launching!

Do like I said and give the car a tune up. Have the radiator flushed and put a thermostat on it. Change the oil and filter. Change the spark plugs and post pictures of the old plugs, making note of what cylinders they came out of. If you are burning coolant, which I don't believe you are, we will be able to tell by the plugs.
i think the car has a LS6 intake, so would i need a pcv valve for the ls6 or just an ls1 one.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vlad1995
i think the car has a LS6 intake, so would i need a pcv valve for the ls6 or just an ls1 one.
Should be the same. Only diff between them externally is deleting the egr valve.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does the car have any other modifications? That LS6 intake is not stock, but has anything been done internally?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 PM
Launching!

Does the car have any other modifications? That LS6 intake is not stock, but has anything been done internally?
As far as i know other then the intake it also has long tube headers and hooker exhaust.
I got a question, you said to replace the spark plugs. What spark plugs would you recommend?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

NGK TR5's, see what the manual says about the gap I can't remember. I think it's .035". Be sure to take pictures of your old plugs and keep track of what cylinder they came from, that is very important.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Launching!

okay so I changed the spark plugs. And thats what they look like, what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.-2-driver-side.jpg   Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.-1-driver-side.jpg   Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.-3-driver.jpg   Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.-4-driver.jpg   Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.-1-passenger.jpg  

Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.-3-passengers.jpg   Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.-4-passenger.jpg   Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.-20140412_175421.jpg  

Quick Reply: Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.