Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plugs look pretty good, no sign of oil fouling.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
The plugs look pretty good, no sign of oil fouling.
What are some other thing that I should look at?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why don't you ask the guy that told you to change the plugs and fluids unnecessarily.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Sand on coolest dip stick sounds to me as if someone was tryna stop the leak or from over heating using cheap autozone stuff instead of fixing it correctly. What is the temp have you drove far? Has it overheated
Old 04-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Best bet is pull of heads inspect, then new gasget. Blue smoke is not good
Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Why don't you ask the guy that told you to change the plugs and fluids unnecessarily.
well there were barely any fluids in it when I .got it anyway so had to do it anyway.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CHEVELLEPOSSE
Sand on coolest dip stick sounds to me as if someone was tryna stop the leak or from over heating using cheap autozone stuff instead of fixing it correctly. What is the temp have you drove far? Has it overheated
never goes past the middle, I think its 210. I probably drove like 600 miles or so. and the longest trip I made was 80 miles one way and 80 back. and the temp was fine.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

When you see that sand stuff that definetly tells you the owner before either had a coolest leek problem or overheating problem I would monitor your fluids closely and see if the coolent is disappearing.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The plugs would have been a good indication if there was a head gasket leak or something getting into one of the cylinders that shouldn't be there. You haven't posted anything remotely helpful or useful in this thread, so why are you here?

Those plugs are not stock and they don't look to be that old. There is also visible oil on the threads of the plugs. Do you know if the car has had any head work done? Perhaps someone changed the valve springs and the valve stem seals, and didn't seat them properly? If the seals aren't seated properly oil will get past them and into the cylinders.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1

The plugs would have been a good indication if there was a head gasket leak or something getting into one of the cylinders that shouldn't be there. You haven't posted anything remotely helpful or useful in this thread, so why are you here?

Those plugs are not stock and they don't look to be that old. There is also visible oil on the threads of the plugs. Do you know if the car has had any head work done? Perhaps someone changed the valve springs and the valve stem seals, and didn't seat them properly? If the seals aren't seated properly oil will get past them and into the cylinders.
Not that I know of, the guy who I got it from said that the owner before him did all the mods. Is there a way for me to find out if it had head work done to it.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:30 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry didn't read entire post in advance.

And you ABSOLUTELY were correct in changing all fluids. You need to know if those symptoms will reoccur or not. The previous owner may not have changed their fluids ever....

Originally Posted by vlad1995
Not that I know of, the guy who I got it from said that the owner before him did all the mods. Is there a way for me to find out if it had head work done to it.
Sure, check casting numbers on the heads first, then pull the valve covers and check for any aftermarket spring kit, usually a good indicator of cam or head work. Then pull intake to check for porting. BEFORE you do all that, perform a proper Leak Down Test. This will tell you alot about whether you have a bad head gasket, rings, or valves. Air can be heard exiting the intake manifold if its top end. Either way you will know which cylinder has problems or not.

How much do you know how the previous owner used the car? Was it a DD or their weekend sports car? Could they have run NOS? If so, more than likely burnt up rings.

Good luck with sorting it out!
Old 04-25-2014, 04:37 PM
Launching!

I believe it was a DD cause the guy didnt seem to know too much about the car. im gonna try to get a leak down test done as soon as possible. coolant level stays the same it doesnt disappear or anything. oil on the other hand does disappear, I have to.add oil every 2-3 weeks.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fixinitup
Sorry didn't read entire post in advance.

And you ABSOLUTELY were correct in changing all fluids. You need to know if those symptoms will reoccur or not. The previous owner may not have changed their fluids ever....

Sure, check casting numbers on the heads first, then pull the valve covers and check for any aftermarket spring kit, usually a good indicator of cam or head work. Then pull intake to check for porting. BEFORE you do all that, perform a proper Leak Down Test. This will tell you alot about whether you have a bad head gasket, rings, or valves. Air can be heard exiting the intake manifold if its top end. Either way you will know which cylinder has problems or not.

How much do you know how the previous owner used the car? Was it a DD or their weekend sports car? Could they have run NOS? If so, more than likely burnt up rings.

Good luck with sorting it out!
so the car hasnt been blowing smoke since it got warmer. but today it blew a pretty big puff when the car was pulling away. im taking it to a mechanic to see if we can do a compression test on it. is there anything specific I should ask him to look at?
Old 05-07-2014, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's burning excessive oil you'll have to add oil constantly. Is there any oil consumption? It seems to me you're making a big deal about nothing. A little oil use is a lot cheaper than a major engine overhaul.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Launching!

If it's burning excessive oil you'll have to add oil constantly. Is there any oil consumption? It seems to me you're making a big deal about nothing. A little oil use is a lot cheaper than a major engine overhaul.
I have to add some about every two to three weeks. seems a bit excessive to me.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much do you add every 2-3 weeks.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

My stock motor used a quart every change. I assume if I checked it once a month I'd be adding a dab of oil. That was a well taken care of 65k motor.

My built motor used a lot less but still did. I had pcv issues though with it sucking oil into the intake and making its way into the combustion chamber. I fixed that with a closed catch can and a special valve cover breather. I would get a lot in there at time. It would build up on the plug threads, but never on the tip. The car never smoked though.

edit: Never smoked when it was bad before I fixed the oil issue.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 AM
Launching!

How much do you add every 2-3 weeks.
The car had an oil change a month ago and they put in 20w50 oil into it. so a month and about 1000 miles later the oil level dropped to the middle of the dip stick. i imagine this isnt just a dab.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Still suspect to head gasket..
Old 06-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroboy408
Still suspect to head gasket..
wouldnt the coolant disappear if that was the case?

Quick Reply: Blue/white smoke coming out of the exhaust.