Sponsored by:

Oil leak at starter -- source?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil leak at starter -- source?

Hello all,

My recently purchased 2000 Z28 automatic with 108K miles just started to leave oil spots on the ground a few days ago. The underside of the car was quite covered with oil residue which I cleaned off most of it today. Oil droplets will start to form on the driver's side of the block coming out from under the black plastic cover underneath the starter after only running for a minute or two. There were some wet areas above and around the starter and also on the passenger side of the block, but these did not show active leaking after I cleaned them. What could be leaking to show up under the starter -- under the black plastic plate (is that an inspection plate?)?

I searched for "oil leak starter" and read several threads. The only thing that was suggested for that location outside of a leak in the manifold or oil pressure sending unit (OPSU) was something called a "block end plate". What is that, where is that, and how difficult is it to get to if it needs a new cover plate and/or gasket?

Why would the oil leak start up all of the sudden? Maybe from some spirited high rpm driving?

Attachment shows the leak with the bellhousing to the left and the engine block to the right. Oil is streaming down from under the black plastic cover.

Thanks,

Fred
Attached Thumbnails Oil leak at starter -- source?-oil-leak-z28.jpg  
Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly crank sensor O ring? Are you sure theres not a leak on the drivers side also? I believe the block end plate is a rear seal cover plate. If the gasket was bad at the top as mine was it would most likely leak down both sides of the block as mine did. You have to remove the trans and flywheel to change it.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

My thoughts are oil pan or rear main seal. Either one could leak into the bell housing then get slung around. It may be hard to pinpoint the source of the leak if that's the case.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. The oil drops also form on the starter bolt that is way up beside the block. Could a leak from the rear main get there?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Rear main spraying around!

Quick Reply: Oil leak at starter -- source?