Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

close to buying MS4 cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Common sense, you have it. Please continue sharing it! The dinosaur cam comments are comical and sad at the same time.
I agree. AFR and TFS heads have been around for a long time, and could be considered "dinosaur heads", but hey, they continue to be the staple of LS heads. Just look at what the old dinosaur AFR 205cc heads continue to do.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes i know if a cam works it works lol, im not big on tsp cams, just my 2 cents that there are much better cams out,i have a ms4 in my car , so its not like im guessing here, even with supporting mods all its power is made near the moon, fine in a drag car but not the best for a fun street car, street car you want good low n mid range, thats what makes it fun, now cams have better lobes and much better power bands, it wont be as bad in your z06 vs your eceryday f body but i still feel like b.tooley,tick etc have better stuff, its your call, if i was happy with the ms4 i would leave it in there,
Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Right, I'm not a big proponent of anyones cams. Meaning I've seen cams from everyone work well in the right application. And of the big names, I've seen some examples from all vendors perform poorly IMO. I'm not for or against any one vendor. I think its more about overall combination. I mention cam motion a lot because I think they have a lot to offer and lots of people don't even know who they are. Personally, I wouldn't call the ms line out of date because for their intended purpose they still seem to get it done.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Captain Double Post

Common sense, you have it. Please continue sharing it! The dinosaur cam comments are comical and sad at the same time.
not meant to be a joke, have had a ms4 in my car for the past 4 years, while its great at the drag strip theres much better stuff out now, it took so much to make my car run well, vs my buds that were running much better times with smaller cams, my car is 95% a street car, and honest on the streer it doesnt run bad but its far from a pleasure to drive, the bucking etc isnt that bad but still will get on your nerves a lil, im just going off my exp, if your going for a race car its great, but as i said mines more of a street car, tech improves each year , donkey dick cams were very big for awhile , but to say there isnt better cams out nowadays is kinda a joke to me, again its what the op is after thats just my 2cents, everyone i know that has had a trex,polluter,ms4 etc has been much happier by going with a lil smaller custom grind,
Old 04-11-2014, 11:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
yes i know if a cam works it works lol, im not big on tsp cams, just my 2 cents that there are much better cams out,i have a ms4 in my car , so its not like im guessing here, even with supporting mods all its power is made near the moon, fine in a drag car but not the best for a fun street car, street car you want good low n mid range, thats what makes it fun, now cams have better lobes and much better power bands, it wont be as bad in your z06 vs your eceryday f body but i still feel like b.tooley,tick etc have better stuff, its your call, if i was happy with the ms4 i would leave it in there,
Then it sounds like you have the wrong cam for your set up sir. It's not the cam's fault. That cam was designed to be a top end / race oriented cam. If you want more midrange and a more streetable set up we definitely would have recommended a different cam given your parameters. We can custom spec cams with softer lobes as well if that is what you are looking for. So instead of bashing the cam or TSP you should have chosen the cam more appropriate for your combination and goals.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any input on cams using a combo of LXL/XER lobe?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yep, ms4 is not for everyone. Saying there are better cams now is BS. The real reason it takes more to make it work in a street car is because its not a street oriented cam. Just like TSP said, that isn't the cams fault.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

You mean if I live in downtown Chicago, the MS4 cam wouldn't be a good choice That's not what others said on here
Old 04-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Captain Double Post

Right, I'm not a big proponent of anyones cams. Meaning I've seen cams from everyone work well in the right application. And of the big names, I've seen some examples from all vendors perform poorly IMO. I'm not for or against any one vendor. I think its more about overall combination. I mention cam motion a lot because I think they have a lot to offer and lots of people don't even know who they are. Personally, I wouldn't call the ms line out of date because for their intended purpose they still seem to get it done.
i agree with ya there, it takes alot of supporring mods/tunning/gear etc to really get the most out of the ms4 or other donkey d cams, i love cam motion , and my opinion is not a diss on tsp in anyway, they have good stuff, my mistake was i didnt know much at the time when i get the ms4 i just figured bigger cam faster car lol , man was i wrong , as performance goes its a killer cam , its pulls very hard up top and as i said killer for the track, ive made alot of mistakes with my car, i drove a stock f body the other day and it was so nice to drive , you want to enjoy driving your car even if it is just a toy,my dinosaur comment was full of humor, you are right in your comment though
Old 04-11-2014, 07:15 PM
Captain Double Post

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
Then it sounds like you have the wrong cam for your set up sir. It's not the cam's fault. That cam was designed to be a top end / race oriented cam. If you want more midrange and a more streetable set up we definitely would have recommended a different cam given your parameters. We can custom spec cams with softer lobes as well if that is what you are looking for. So instead of bashing the cam or TSP you should have chosen the cam more appropriate for your combination and goals.

Lonnie
my comment isnt a dig on you guys at all, ive spent thousands with you guys so its not i think you guys have bad stuff or anything ,you guys have a good rep with the lsx crowd, you are correct though but also my goals have changed in 8 years, before it was drag car or bust and as i said the cam is perfect for that, i mean to run a 11.78 here was pretty good for just having a cam ,rear and other odds n ends, but for a car that is more of a street car its not my top pick, now a few summers ago i drove my car a easy 1000 miles a week, car drove fine, my point is there just is better cams for having a fast street car that doesnt have all the faults as a huge cam, but still has a mean sound, and lets be honest 90% of guys that get a ms cam is because it sounds cool and they dont know any better lol thats what i did , but found out quick with out supporting mods it wasnt the best lol, i dont mind the cam but now never going to the track and being a full street car some changes are in order, my whole point to the op, if your racing its great if not there are better options
Old 04-11-2014, 07:43 PM
Captain Double Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
You mean if I live in downtown Chicago, the MS4 cam wouldn't be a good choice That's not what others said on here
good thing is your in luck , you dont have to go on what a few guys said in this thread, there are 1000 ms cam threads, its what your after, i say there are better cams because there are imo, i base that off of that most of us have street cars that see the track a few times a year, and no doubt there are better cams for that, ones that wont need every top buck supporting mods,hey if your car spends more time at 6600 plus rpms this cam is all you, reason i have wrote some of the things i have is to maybe help a new guy out, back when i got this cam was during the peak of the donkey dick cam era lol so there wasnt to many cons at the time, ill say it one more time its great at the track, if your hardcore its for you , but also have this in mind , sooner or later you will want boost, trust me you will, best to plan for it now lol, you guys take care, dont make to much out of a comment full of humor, have had this cam for a long time ,only reason i made a comment, im not going off a youtube vid lol
Old 04-11-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

My comment was made as a joke and nothing more. If I wanted a cam I could drive around the downtown streets of Chicago, I'd obviously not go with a MS4; I'd get something like the T-Rex.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
but also have this in mind , sooner or later you will want boost, trust me you will, best to plan for it now lol
Yes....plan on a cam for boost. I wish I would have done just that because H/C is a teaser for real power.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with the big cams make sure your valve train geometry is spot on .get a push rod measuring tool to get the correct length push rods .get some new rocker arm bearings .make sure the valve springs are installed correctly .

Quick Reply: close to buying MS4 cam