Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

untuned cam symptoms? 04 LS6 CTS V

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default untuned cam symptoms? 04 LS6 CTS V

Hey guys! Newbie here but have acquired tons of very useful info on your site here... I just installed a torquer v2 cam in the 04 caddy this weekend with BTR dual springs, push rods and it sounds amazing at idle... I plan on getting it tuned this coming week by cincy speed. Everything went off without a hitch thanks to all the endless amounts of info I got here... drove the car after the initial start up and as always, it took the stock pcm about three or four drive cycles to figure out how to idle coming down to a stop and to quit surging... my question is, on a factory tune, it will have P0300 Random/multiple misfire code until tuned out... and both rear O2 sensor codes due to them being disconnected for LT headers. So being a master technician for 10 years, and have driven many vehicles for numerous drivability issues, I was curious what the stock pcm does/thinks on a factory calibration with aftermarket cam... Driving it to me feels like all the timing is pulled and/or is running lean... just curious what others have felt after a cam swap or can relate to similar symptoms before tuning the car on a dyno. Thanks everyone for the input and I'm excited about being a part of the best LS site out there!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Launching!

i dont know if you have a wide band, but u should be able to get your hands on a data logger easily. keep an eye on your LTFT or long term fuel trims. if they are positive that means the computer is asking for more fuel so its running lean, if they are negative then its asking for less fuel so your running rich. As long as you stay well within ±25% you should be safe. when i swapped my heads and cam in untuned my LTFT was +13% or so. after tune im well within ±5%, and more often than not closer to 0%.

Also i would not do any WOT without tune.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:06 PM

Thanks verdeZ28, I've been pretty busy at work and have not had an opportunity to plug my scantool in to read the fuel trims... The car is sitting in the garage so I don't inflict any unnecessary damage on it before tuning it. I guess to elaborate what I'm asking is... before the cam swap the car pulled pretty well and felt very torquey with the stock setup. After the cam install I drove it as minimal as possible just to relearn the idle so it would be somewhat drivable to the tuner, but the car felt like it had absolutely no midrange poower/torque like it was lean or the timing was being retarded immensely... I know tuning should fix all these bugs, but I was curious if anyone could share their experiences with their cars after they have done a cam swap before tuning to see if what I'm feeling is a normal issue... The car is an absolute dog now...kinda feels like it has lost 40% of its power
Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by makekevinupyours
Thanks verdeZ28, I've been pretty busy at work and have not had an opportunity to plug my scantool in to read the fuel trims... The car is sitting in the garage so I don't inflict any unnecessary damage on it before tuning it. I guess to elaborate what I'm asking is... before the cam swap the car pulled pretty well and felt very torquey with the stock setup. After the cam install I drove it as minimal as possible just to relearn the idle so it would be somewhat drivable to the tuner, but the car felt like it had absolutely no midrange poower/torque like it was lean or the timing was being retarded immensely... I know tuning should fix all these bugs, but I was curious if anyone could share their experiences with their cars after they have done a cam swap before tuning to see if what I'm feeling is a normal issue... The car is an absolute dog now...kinda feels like it has lost 40% of its power
What is it you're expecting from an untuned cam swapped engine, 50% more power & it drives like a taxi.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Launching!

I can say that even after tune my car feels pretty sluggish at low rpm. Under 1700 its a dog, but this is to be expected. my cam is a 228 230 .571 .573 on 112 LSA. I believe the torquer v2 is considerably more aggresive than this so i would not be surprised if at low rpm your feeling a power loss.

after tune my car did feel much better than before tune however. i made 300ft lbs to the wheels at 2000 rpm wot. peak torque was 368 so it was pretty flat curve. mustang dyno btw.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:01 PM

Thanks VerdeZ28 for the reply... that's what I was looking for lol. At least I know what to expect after the tune too. I don't know your setup but I know the LS6 has a little higher compression ratio than the LS1 so hopefully that will help with the loss of low end torque a little with the new cam. I'm scheduled for a tune on the 24th so I'm hoping it will clean out a bunch of issues it has... The specs on my cam is 232 234 @ .050" on 112 LSA. So its just a hair bigger. Hopefully it gets it's strength back and pulls like a freight train. Cheers!

Quick Reply: untuned cam symptoms? 04 LS6 CTS V