Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot cam #'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot cam #'s

I got the GMPP Hot Cam and love it! Sounds awsome and runs great on stock tune! I don't know why people dog this cam because it gave me good #'s
I have Hooker LT header and ORY, cut out, SLP air lid, bellows, free mods and deleted AIR,EGR and O2 sensors, Moser 12 bolt w/ 4.30 gears, spec stage 4 clutch and BMR STB, LCA's, PHB, and SLP- SFC's, Hot Cam and 02' LS6 springs.

now I still have a stock tune and LS1 intake stock heads.

Before cam
HP-338
TQ-344

After cam
HP-370
TQ-368

I saw a 32 horse power increase and 24lbs of Torque.

now in my book that is a great increase for a stock tune.

The experts at Extreme Performance (local LS1 performance shop) said after LS6 intake, under drive pulley, and a good tune I should be able to see over 400rwhp, and I have not heard of anyone that has a Hot Cam and full bolt on's and stock heads having those numbers.

I will say this the Torque curve I have now is bad ***!!! very flat never below 325tq, 2500-6500rpm.
so I hope this is the proof that bigger is not allways better!

Last edited by MikeB.RamAir; 05-16-2004 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is good power .....a tune and intake will help out a lot ....and yes bigger is not always better.....gm puts a lot into their performance parts.....
Old 05-16-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

The hotcam has a very nice torque curve...But, time for an upgrade ...I would recommend this cam to others...Fairly cheap kit, and it dosen't put out an extreme amount of lift(.525)...

Kevin
Old 05-17-2004, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

are you gonna need a tune after you put the ls6 intake on it? just wondering since i am putting an ls1 into my 68 firebird and i bought an all ready programmed computer for the hotcam, and i am just wondering if i throw an ls6 intake on if i will need another tune? thanks

daniel
Old 05-17-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good results with the hotcam. Every few weeks there is a new post about it that proves the naysayers wrong. Some people don't get the fact that not everyone wants a .550+ cam. Or wants to spend $400-500 on a cam with no springs, ect. And they don't get the fact that the HC will probably hang with their big stick on the street.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's good news. I've been wanting to install a new cam in my LS6 and have been thinking of the hot cam so I won't have to change springs. I wonder if the hot cam plus headers would net me 400 rwhp.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Good results with the hotcam. Every few weeks there is a new post about it that proves the naysayers wrong."

Show me just one. It'll be the one with the Hotcam running NA 10s in a daily driver. You're not "proving the naysayers wrong" until the Hotcam does something well that few other cams do performancewise and/or drivabilitywise. The simple fact is, it has not, will not, and can not do that. Accept it for what it is....a good budget cam that is easy on the valvetrain with it's lazy ramp rates. Nothing more, nothing less. So let the naysayers have their more expensive, but superior performing cams. They got what they paid for. Hotcam buyers do too.

370 RWHP (don't expect an UD pulley and an LS6 intake to get you to 400 RWHP) is good for a Hotcam considering the limited mods. Congrats on your numbers.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Colonel
"Good results with the hotcam. Every few weeks there is a new post about it that proves the naysayers wrong."

Show me just one. It'll be the one with the Hotcam running NA 10s in a daily driver. You're not "proving the naysayers wrong" until the Hotcam does something well that few other cams do performancewise and/or drivabilitywise. The simple fact is, it has not, will not, and can not do that. Accept it for what it is....a good budget cam that is easy on the valvetrain with it's lazy ramp rates. Nothing more, nothing less. So let the naysayers have their more expensive, but superior performing cams. They got what they paid for. Hotcam buyers do too.

370 RWHP (don't expect an UD pulley and an LS6 intake to get you to 400 RWHP) is good for a Hotcam considering the limited mods. Congrats on your numbers.
Well I am up to prove anybody wrong that I can hang with any big bump stick, taking her to the track on Thurs and get ready for some good numbers!! because I am not a dyno queen. All runs will be done on street tires so what these numbers will say will be any time any where! and I think 30+HP from adding a LS6 intake, UD pulley and a tune will be possible.
but thank you everyone for the complements

to 68 bird I don't think a tune is nessesary untill the heads go on. You should be fine.

and when the heads go on I am wondering what a good set of shaft mounted roller rocker (1.8) will do along with LS6 heads w/ 2.02/1.60 vavles? and the hot cam
Old 05-18-2004, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

"and I think 30+HP from adding a LS6 intake, UD pulley and a tune will be possible."

Good luck with that. If you're tune is WAAAAAAAAAAAY off then you might see that. An UD pulley is proven to be a 1-4 RWHP dyno mod (works better on the track.) The LS6 intake should be good for about 8-12 RWHP.

And best of luck at the track as well.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:15 AM
Teching In

Good numbers! Im doing the same thing in early June. A friend of mine just laid down 386rwhp (I could be off a few???) with LS6 intake, pully, tune etc. His clutch did take a dive on the way home from being tuned. Dont know that it really cost him anything on the dyno though.

Think this is my first post too!
Old 05-18-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MikeB.RamAir
Well I am up to prove anybody wrong that I can hang with any big bump stick, taking her to the track on Thurs and get ready for some good numbers!! because I am not a dyno queen. All runs will be done on street tires so what these numbers will say will be any time any where! and I think 30+HP from adding a LS6 intake, UD pulley and a tune will be possible.
but thank you everyone for the complements

to 68 bird I don't think a tune is nessesary untill the heads go on. You should be fine.

and when the heads go on I am wondering what a good set of shaft mounted roller rocker (1.8) will do along with LS6 heads w/ 2.02/1.60 vavles? and the hot cam
Good luck on street tires! Keep it straight. 399.8 rwhp / 392.6 rwtq SAE w/ Hotcam, stock heads, headers, exhaust and edit. The car runs real well, but Colonel is right. It will not hang with a lot of the cams out there today. I bought mine 2 years ago and I still love it! But I'm moving on to a bigger motor, so bye bye Hotcam. Good luck with it!!!

Last edited by 1BDHWK; 05-18-2004 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:05 AM
TECH Regular

see sig....bought B1 cam used with springs(918's) for $200. Used headers that I repaired a bit were $100. Making 386hp...no tune, no pulley....unless someone sells me one real cheap..lol. No, I'm not a cheap bastard, just putting my son through college. racrx
Old 05-18-2004, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

I will say this it is likely that I will get a bigger cam when the heads go on, to make full use of the new heads, prob, something like the Grand Am Cup cam but not such a low LSA maybe somewhere around 110 instead of 106 because I admit I would like some more lope!
So UD pulley is a waste of money?
Old 05-18-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, an UD pulley is a GREAT mod for the $$$. It just doesn't show up so well on a chassis dyno. It is well proven at the track though.

So why is this? Well, I believe it's because the UD pulley shows it's merit the faster you're accelerating the engine. It's the accelerating of the water pump (as well as the other accesories to a smaller degree) that draws the lion's share of the power. Slow this acceleration rate by use of an UD pulley and you pick up some power. On the dyno you're tranny is in drive so you're RPMs are coming up very slowly, comparatively. On the track you're starting in 1st gear which has your RPMs climbing FAR quicker.

Make sense?
Old 05-18-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

I have been happy with my underdrive pulley. I like my Hotcam, but realize it is not the best cam out there. I wanted a nice bump in power, and didn't want to have to worry about spring changes, and other maintenance issues. For now it works for me. I made 381/373 untuned. I am hoping for right arond 390 with tuning.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

what other parts are needed to install a hot cam?
Old 05-18-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

When mine was done, I chose:
Hotcam Kit
Oil Pump
Thermostat
Timing Set
ASP Pulley
LS6 Intake
Valve Seals
LS6 Coolant Tubes

I think that about covers it. All of my pushrods were straight so I reused them.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:55 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

MikeB.RamAir, can't wait to see these results.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

I'm sure this tread will be gone by then so I will make a new one it will be
Track times w/ Hot Cam,
Colonel-that make sense good to ask questions first.Thanks for your help.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Colonel

Show me just one. It'll be the one with the Hotcam running NA 10s in a daily driver. You're not "proving the naysayers wrong" until the Hotcam does something well that few other cams do
I hear you, but the time it takes to run one quarter of a mile is not the main focus for everyone. My thinking of "proving the naysayers wrong" is showing this inexpensive cam can make good power. And that it in fact does not suck, like too many people say it does. A dyno is a dyno, but it is good for something. Otherwise people like you and I would not put a car on one. Funny how some say that dyno numbers mean nothing, yet they dyno their car after every new mod. This car in the center of discussion makes good power, and would be strong on the street, which is the main focus of people like me lol. Of course it is not the best strip cam, but it's really good for what it is. And I would feel safe going on a long road trip without breaking a spring. Of course I am a hypocrite taking into consideration my set up