Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-use pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-use pistons?

117k mile stock motor. Ran without Any problems at all. Want to tear down and build up to 400rwhp with head and can swap. Could I re use the pistons, rods, crank? Or would that not be a good Idea especially if I'm building more power?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can reuse all of them assuming there isn't any scoring on any of the parts. The piston skirts have an anti-friction coating that can wear out and increase piston slap over time. This will be a little worse if you hone the bores out for the new rings to seal. But as long as you go REALLY light on the hone, just to break the glaze you'll be fine. 220 grit followed by 400 grit stones.
Rods are fine so long as you have not spun a bearing.
The crank needs to be carefully inspected for and scratches on the journals. If you can catch your finger on it, you will probably have to have it turned .010" and use the appropriate bearings.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

Iron or Aluminum?

You need to measure the pistons at the skirt to check size.
Then check bore for size and taper. If its within factory limits, then by all means yes, they are perfectly fine. Rods need to have the big end checked for size, with a dial bore gauge, not some cheapo harbor freight calipers. Same with the crank, journals need to be mic'd and a polish at bare minimum.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 AM

Thanks guys helped a lot! Is this coating that's on the pistons replaceable by a shop? And I have heard if polishing the crank, anyone know how much this would be? Not trying to spend a butt load of money but I do want to do it right.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it ran good and your on a budget I wouldn't touch the short block. With a little common sense, good maintenance, and maybe a little luck these motors will run for 250,000+ miles.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fry_
If it ran good and your on a budget I wouldn't touch the short block. With a little common sense, good maintenance, and maybe a little luck these motors will run for 250,000+ miles.
LOTS of shops will just screwup a perfectly good shortblock if sent in unnecessarily. I will trust GM's machining over the vast majority of local shops. If you actually want to improve on stock it isn't cheap.

Quick Reply: Re-use pistons?