Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Knock Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Knock Help!

Hey all, I'm having a issue with my 2000 ss and it's worrying me quite a bit. I'll try to explain my situation.

I bought my 2000 ss with 54k miles from a previous owner about little over half a year ago. Ever since I bought the car my father has noticed "spark knock" under heavy loads and small amounts sometimes in the lower rpm's (usually if the car is struggling to move like up a steep hill.) When I'm really on the throttle, around 5k+ rpm's it will spark knock pretty loud. Other than that it's fairly quiet.

I've changed the PCV to a better one because it was consuming oil. Ever since it was fine. I didn't think I saw any oil in the intake either. I've cleaned the MAF and throttle blades twice since owning the car, still no help.. I always run 93oct, for awhile I always threw in oct booster and didn't seem to change much. At this point idk what to do. The car is completely stock as far as I know, so the pcm should be stock. Is it typical for stock ls1's to get spark knock?? I have piston slap too but I read it's common among ls1's, I usually get slap around 2k rpm's an quiets out. Anyway, my car currently has 69k miles, I put on about 14k miles on her (lots of joy riding) the knock has exsisted the whole time. I do beat on her here and there. But idk what everyone would call a "hard beating," but I've floored it from time to time, couple times a week.

My questions and concerns are:
-How can I fix this knock?
-How much internal damage you think is in the engine now?.. I've read that it does a lot of damage and I'm paranoid that my LS1 is going to need repaired..

Sorry for the longgg story, but I wanted to include as much info as possible. Appreciate any help! Thanks.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

Does the car run hot? My buddy has a 00 ss and a fan quit and his maf went out and he had similar problems.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bottlefedbaby
Does the car run hot? My buddy has a 00 ss and a fan quit and his maf went out and he had similar problems.
My father tried to hook up a reader to see how the temps are on the car, the previous owner put on a overlay in the dash and the needle is stuck till I remove it. But before it got stuck it ran pretty good. Around the 170-175 range if that is normal.

I've heard of a 160 t-stat, worth it?
Old 05-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

Its not too expensive so I'd give it a shot. There's really a number of things that can cause it.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you scanned it for any codes ?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bottlefedbaby
Its not too expensive so I'd give it a shot. There's really a number of things that can cause it.
True. I'm just hoping it's not too late for my engine.. I'm just afraid my pistons, rods, or anything is damaged badly..
Old 05-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garygnu
have you scanned it for any codes ?
I haven't, to be honest this is my first efi engine that I've owned. I'm use to old school engines. Is there a scanner I buy to get a code reading? Or do ai have to take this to a shop?

Also my check engine light isn't on, but still have knock. Could it be a bad knock sensor?..
Old 05-31-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

To start you need to hsve the factory tune loaded back into the computer. You should never ever hear spark knock because before you can hear it the computer already has turned the timing way back. So before you waste anymore time on this have it reloaded and see if the trouble is gone.

YES SPARK KNOCK IS INSANELY DANGEROUS and will destroy the pistons in these engines QUCKLY!
Old 05-31-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Most auto parts stores will have a hand held scanner that you can plug in and retrieve any codes. The knock sensors are not always sensitive enough to pick every malfunction. If the knock sensor stops working it should throw a code (check engine light) indicating that.

There are several causes of engine knock including a dirty MAF, carbon build up within the combustion chamber, incorrect spark plug heat range, overheating (as already mention by others), an aftermarket tune (perhaps installed by a previous owner.)

In your situation, I would start by pulling the spark plugs to see what they look like. I would also install new plugs one range colder than stock until I diagnosed the knock (use the less expensive copper based plugs). I would also install a new MAF since some cleaners damage the MAF and you may not what it has been cleaned with in the past.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:27 AM
Launching!

I might be able to borrow a friends scanner, so I'll do that.

I am going to replace spark plugs anyway just in case. But I'm installing the egr delete kit first so it will be easier to reach them. But isn't carbon build up caused by crappy gas usually? And what can clean that stuff out? I'll probably try to clean it just to be safe.

As for the maf, that would have to be my last thing to do. Those things are expensive. I haven't cleaned the maf really. I've took a look and it looks quite healthy. But I was planning on getting a tune first. I honestly think the cars tunning has never been messed with. But I guess it's hard to tell. Should I order a frost tune? Or go for a dyno tune?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
To start you need to hsve the factory tune loaded back into the computer. You should never ever hear spark knock because before you can hear it the computer already has turned the timing way back. So before you waste anymore time on this have it reloaded and see if the trouble is gone.

YES SPARK KNOCK IS INSANELY DANGEROUS and will destroy the pistons in these engines QUCKLY!
That was the plan. But I don't thinking the tune was messed with. I was planning on a performance tune from a prefered tuner, like frost or try to find a dyno tuning place that can fix it. I have to get one anyway because of the egr delete kit I will be installing.

As for spark knock, if that is the case then my LS1 is destroyed? It's been running like this for a while like I said. From what I was told if there is spark knock throughout ever rpm range there is a huge issue. If it's only under heavy load it's less damaging. Still not healthy, but not as bad as it could be. Its had me paranoid for a long time. But I just want to know if the car is saveable.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blazekillerace
That was the plan. But I don't thinking the tune was messed with. I was planning on a performance tune from a prefered tuner, like frost or try to find a dyno tuning place that can fix it. I have to get one anyway because of the egr delete kit I will be installing.

As for spark knock, if that is the case then my LS1 is destroyed? It's been running like this for a while like I said. From what I was told if there is spark knock throughout ever rpm range there is a huge issue. If it's only under heavy load it's less damaging. Still not healthy, but not as bad as it could be. Its had me paranoid for a long time. But I just want to know if the car is saveable.
Some forms of knock such as the pinging that occurs at low rpm/high load conditions with inadequate octane is not instantly destructive. In the days before computer control some folks refused to buy premium fuel for cars that required and would ping around for years and tens of thousands of miles without destroying the engine.

Additionally, where ever you get the tune, you don't want to fix the problem by simply pulling out all the timing. The fact that you are getting the knock sound at 5,000 rpm, for example, may be the signature of valve control issues common in LS1s.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, here's my story. I have a low mileage car that was stock when I bought it. I would get a high RPM ping, 5k+, & it was intermittent! Sometimes it would pull hard & smooth no ping. I replaced both knock sensors, that was'nt the problem. No codes set. I brought it to the dyno tuner. They cleaned the MAF & squared the tune. It was good for a while, but then it came back. Doing some research on here I found someone with almost the exact intermittant high rpm ping. He replaced the MAF & said it never came back. I in no way am "telling" you what is wrong with your car. It has to be diagnosed. I myself am deleting the MAF all together, even though I already bought an 85mm Z06 MAF to replace it. Hope you find the culprit! Keep us posted!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Small amunts are ok BUT still playing with fire, 1st load the factory tune. Any one could have screwed with it along the way. Also deleting the EGR is going to make the spark knock much worse......................IF YOU ARE HEARING SPARK KNOCK. I can't hear it from here so I assuming you are right.

Spark knock loud enough to hear at WOT is DANGEROUS!

Quick Reply: Spark Knock Help!