Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in exhaust. help a clueless noob out

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in exhaust. help a clueless noob out

So i pulled off a block off plate to replace the gasket and i noticed some oil between the plate and the stem. My Z has always leaked oil and under the hood has always been a mess. I'm young and dumb and only wanted to make it faster but now that i see the error o my ways i want to care for her how she deserves. So i guess my concerns are 1) what can be the cause of the oil making its way into my headers. My dad said it could be a bad head gasket which to me makes sense because everything from where the heads meet the block down is covered in old oil. 2) if it is the head gasket is it as simple as pull the heads, replace gaskets and head bolts, and thats it or would my heads need working? Please go easy, ive seen the light and plan on replacing all motor gaskets and giving the engine bay a good cleaning.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the car smoke at all while running?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey Rocco, you're smart enough to come here seeking advise, a good move!

What year is this car? Any engine work been done? How many miles?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The oil in the exhaust, it might be from a bad valve seal, or possibly a broken ring land . I'd start with removing the spark plugs one at a time and make note of the any oil fouled plugs. The valve seal/s or a broken ring for that cylinder might need to be replaced.
A compression test would be a good way to find out.
http://www.ek9.org/forum/attachments...ug-reading.jpg

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-15-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

It was smoking but im assuming that was from the spray i used to help with breaking the bolts loose. And no engine work that im aware off. Bone stock when i got it and ive only done a full exhaust set up and lid. I love this site for all the know how amongst everyone.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The oil in the exhaust, probably is likely from a bad valve seal. I'd start with removing the spark plugs one at a time and make note of the any oil fouled plugs,. The valve seal/s for that cylinder likely need to be replaced.
http://www.ek9.org/forum/attachments...ug-reading.jpg
So would you personally worry about head gaskets where from the top of the block down is coverd in oil? Or would a bad valve seal(s) explain that?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Oh and 98 z28, 160xxx miles, a4
Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The question about smoking was for smoke coming out of the exhaust, not from under the hood.

These cars typically have minute leaks from the power steering hoses, rack & pump. This coats the engine with oil mist and dirt clings to it.

As you had oil in the tailpipe, it was from INSIDE the engine, not OUTSIDE the engine.

I would also suspect the valve seals. With 160K on the clock, it may be a wise move to have the heads gone through. Or (better idea) get some better heads.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Try this:
With the engine idling remove the oil fill cap and lightly press the palm of your hand over the opening for at least a few seconds. Normal results while removing your hand would be a slight vacuum/suction on your palm. Abnormal results would be pressure pushing you palm away from the fill cap opening. A clear sign of excessive blow-by from a broken ring land.

IMO, do a compression test on all cylinders. If it's good then just replace the replace the valve seals. Now, if the compression test raises some red flags on some cylinders then IMO, its a good time to tear down the engine for a rebuild.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 07-15-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
The question about smoking was for smoke coming out of the exhaust, not from under the hood.

These cars typically have minute leaks from the power steering hoses, rack & pump. This coats the engine with oil mist and dirt clings to it.

As you had oil in the tailpipe, it was from INSIDE the engine, not OUTSIDE the engine.

I would also suspect the valve seals. With 160K on the clock, it may be a wise move to have the heads gone through. Or (better idea) get some better heads.
No oil in thetail pipe, at least not that ive noticed. Would holding off cause any further problems. As of now i dont have funds for anything extensive
Old 07-16-2014, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Try this:
With the engine idling remove the oil fill cap and lightly press the palm of your hand over the opening for at least a few seconds. Normal results while removing your hand would be a slight vacuum/suction on your palm. Abnormal results would be pressure pushing you palm away from the fill cap opening. A clear sign of excessive blow-by from a broken ring land.

IMO, do a compression test on all cylinders. If it's good then just replace the replace the valve seals. Now, if the compression test raises some red flags on some cylinders then IMO, its a good time to tear down the engine for a rebuild.
I pray it is nothing serious then. I appreciate all the advice
Old 07-16-2014, 12:40 AM
Staging Lane

And ive never noticed smoke. The only thing ive noticed was a few months back i had a buddy revv it while i stood behind it and the exhaust was white. Being that was the only time my car was running without me in it im not certain if it smokes or if the exhaust is looking abnormal
Old 07-16-2014, 07:16 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

The title of this thread is "oil in exhaust. help a clueless noob out"

I suppose that's incorrect as your issue is oil on the engine itself under the hood and NOT "OIL IN THE EXHAUST"?

Myself and others were responding as if you had oil coming out the exhaust from the tailpipe.

This is good news for you, you don't have to worry about bad valve guides or worn piston rings.

Clean up your engine and find where the oil leak under the hood is coming from and fix it.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

The title of this thread is "oil in exhaust. help a clueless noob out"

I suppose that's incorrect as your issue is oil on the engine itself under the hood and NOT "OIL IN THE EXHAUST"?

Myself and others were responding as if you had oil coming out the exhaust from the tailpipe.

This is good news for you, you don't have to worry about bad valve guides or worn piston rings.

Clean up your engine and find where the oil leak under the hood is coming from and fix it.
I will check in the tail pipe but I found oil under my block off plate for the air line coming off my header. It was fresh oil not like the old thick build up. Sorry I am all over the place when I post, I just have so many small concerns.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

99bluz. I did the oil cap and didnt feel it pull my hand back nor pushing on it. I did have small amounts of smoke coming from it though? and i checked the tail pipes and the insides are black but it didnt feel like oil.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Rocco, you need to forget any advise given in this thread BEFORE you mentioned there WASN'T oil coming out of the exhaust.

Your actual problem (complaint) is the oil leak(s) under the hood, not oil coming out of your exhaust as the thread title had led us to believe.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Rocco, you need to forget any advise given in this thread BEFORE you mentioned there WASN'T oil coming out of the exhaust.

Your actual problem (complaint) is the oil leak(s) under the hood, not oil coming out of your exhaust as the thread title had led us to believe.
no that was one of but my big concern was the oil in my header. I can live with a dirty motor more then a blown motor. There is oil in the exhaust I checked
Old 07-16-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Okay, so this is starting to sounding more like a possible external leak. So I'm going to suggest You start by cleaning up the engine so you can find the sourse of the oil leak, if you have one. I'd then check the PCV system for leaks, which is very common once the rubber starts to breakdown and the plastic tubes become brittle with age. Valve cover perimeter seals could also be damaged or the mount bolt seals are another possibility, but not that common. It could also be leaking from around the OPSU (oil pressure sending unit) behind the intake manifold.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:07 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by RoccoNewf
There is oil in the exhaust I checked
Rocco, I'm requesting that you post a photo of this oil.

Let me know if you need help posting a pic.

Until then, let's ALL hold off on any replies or questions.

Quick Reply: oil in exhaust. help a clueless noob out