Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy here, need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here, need help

Alright so to start off I have some working experience with cars like changing fuel filters, changing spark plugs and small maintenance stuff like that but on a Ford. I've tried to read up and watch videos but that can only help so much, I still have questions. So the problem is I want to buy a good condition third generation Camaro and swap an LS1+T56 transmission into there but I don't really know where to start. What do I do once I get my car and engine+transmission, do I begin to disassemble all the wiring, cooling, exhaust from the engine and then take it out and put the new engine in and connect it all back together? How about conversion kits, don't I need those? What kind of tools do I need for this job?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moe747
Alright so to start off I have some working experience with cars like changing fuel filters, changing spark plugs and small maintenance stuff like that but on a Ford. I've tried to read up and watch videos but that can only help so much, I still have questions. So the problem is I want to buy a good condition third generation Camaro and swap an LS1+T56 transmission into there but I don't really know where to start. What do I do once I get my car and engine+transmission, do I begin to disassemble all the wiring, cooling, exhaust from the engine and then take it out and put the new engine in and connect it all back together? How about conversion kits, don't I need those? What kind of tools do I need for this job?
Your best bet is to maybe check out a third gen specific board for more specifics as this is becoming a more popular swap and trying searching in the conversions and hybrids section for people who did the same swap. They do make retrofit motor mounts for these motors. One road bump your going to run into is the oil pan and which one is specific for your application.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

You have plenty of options these days.
Start by joining thirdgen.org and checking out the swap section.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:44 PM

Thanks guys I just have a question, about how much is an LS1 and T56 going for about these days? used of course.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moe747
Thanks guys I just have a question, about how much is an LS1 and T56 going for about these days? used of course.
LS1 and T56 swaps are probably one of the cheapest swaps because they aren't as desirable as the ls2 3 and 7 stuff. I would imagine you could get a full pullout for under 3k. Your best bet is to get a full running lq4 and start out with more cubes.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:00 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey Moe, welcome to LS1tech!

This section of the forums is for internal engine stuff, you know, pistons, rods, cranks...

We have a conversions section where you'll find the best help.

Post your questions over here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
Old 07-17-2014, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Hey Moe, welcome to LS1tech!

This section of the forums is for internal engine stuff, you know, pistons, rods, cranks...

We have a conversions section where you'll find the best help.

Post your questions over here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
Thanks and I apologize for posting in the wrong forums. I'll post over there instead.

Quick Reply: New guy here, need help