Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why LSA doesn't matter

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Martin, your input here is priceless and appreciated! I got a good education reading(and reading, and reading....lol) thru this thread. Some of the best homework I know of!
Old 06-21-2017, 04:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the OP:
1.) "If the events are right, the duration and LSA will be right."

1A.) If the Durations and LSA/LCL's are right, the events will be also. And the events are not what makes the engine run. It is the valve motion between the events.

2.) "Once I have selected the valve events I feel are best for the combination, I use a valve event calculator to compute those valve events into intake duration, exhaust duration, intake center line and exhaust center line."

2A.) I look at it a little different. I calculate the requirement for the intake and exhaust seat durations and net valve lifts, along with their lobe centerlines. Then I determine the opening and closing events for seat and/or .050" duration values.

3.) "LSA is just a number. It is a sum of numbers. Although the LSA is fixed to the camshaft used in a LS engine and cannot be altered once ground, it is not actually "ground into" the camshaft. It is merely a sum of numbers as I said above. The intake and exhaust "lobe centers" or the "lobe center lines" are what really matters along with the duration of the intake and exhaust lobe. "

3A.) It's true, LSA is the sum of the intake and exhaust center lines, while the center lines are a product of the LSA and degrees of advance/retard. Also, the engine's air consumption in CFM is the sum of the CFM from each of the cylinders. They are all numbers and are used by different people in different ways. I'll agree that Lobe center lines are more important than their sum, but how often do you have to advance or retard the cam after your first session on the dyno? If your numbers didn't pan out and you had to move it 2-3 degrees, then you might as well use the LSA.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:13 PM

Default Justgm race

I have a drag car that I'm changing over to LS engine. I have a 2500 pound car with power glide trans 5500rpm converter. I'm putting in 6.0 with 317 heads. What do I need to do to Heads and what's a good cam for this setup
Old 08-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Teching In

I can't calculate any valve motion or camshaft requirements without input values. You have given me next to none. And I could not tell you what to do to any ports, but could determine what they would need to flow...again, with more info.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up Cam Specs

Martin your a mad scientist man, very informative article 👌 Tick's awesome.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Felix C
Goes counter to everything we have been taught since I started reading here in 2004.

I seem to recall a comment by SStrokerAce(sp?), a professional engine builder of long standing, regarding how important it is.

Consider the source. Just because someone claims to be a professional engine builder doesn't mean everything they say or do is correct. Especially if its SStrokerAce. He just regurgitates what he reads and what, his Dad, OldSStroker tells him.

Ask a known builder with a stellar reputation, such as Chad Speier or Chris Uratchko. Uratchko is a professional engine builder. A real professional engine builder whose livelihood depends on his ability to build elite powerplants. Where someone like SStrokerAce definitely isn't. I don't even think they're still doing it. Notice hesh been MIA for quite a while. A professional engine builder whose livelihood depends on their ability to produce doesn't just up and disappear like he has. They build engines and continue to, year after year, due to their ability to produce.

Something SStrokerAce doesn't do. Hell, they had issues with that even while he was still active.
Old 04-17-2018, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Read this thread on the advice of DarthV8R. Well worth the time and read! It took me a couple days to get through it all, with work and such. But it has certainly helped me understand things! I worked on my Buick V6 cam with some help from a vendor. It turned out pretty well. But looking at all the different lobes available made my head spin at the time.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Turbo Buick @ 11k RPM

Hi Nix, I too like the Buick V-6 engine.
I was a team member, the group that invented your ignition system including the "twin" post coil.
Today I have an upgraded Twin Post Coil made for MY USPS LLV DIS ignition kit.

I have assembled the Menard (Buick) V-6 engine for my sons Lola allowing him to race an Indy car at good speed.
This engine ran to 10,500 RPM with the Redline set to 11K.
Rod bearing life was ONLY 1200 Miles !

YOUR Buick set the standard for OEM turbo fitment.

The cam fit into the Menard had a LOT of overlap !
This engine "lit" at 8000 RPM.
The cost of EACH rod bolt was $65.00.
The block used BFG O-Rings to seal the cylinder pressure. (Dry Deck)

Lance
Old 04-17-2018, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi Nix, I too like the Buick V-6 engine.
I was a team member, the group that invented your ignition system including the "twin" post coil.
Today I have an upgraded Twin Post Coil made for MY USPS LLV DIS ignition kit.

I have assembled the Menard (Buick) V-6 engine for my sons Lola allowing him to race an Indy car at good speed.
This engine ran to 10,500 RPM with the Redline set to 11K.
Rod bearing life was ONLY 1200 Miles !

YOUR Buick set the standard for OEM turbo fitment.

The cam fit into the Menard had a LOT of overlap !
This engine "lit" at 8000 RPM.
The cost of EACH rod bolt was $65.00.
The block used BFG O-Rings to seal the cylinder pressure. (Dry Deck)

Lance
Interesting stuff Lance! That is some intense RPM, but they really needed it with the size of the Stage 2 / Indy head ports. I am actually moving away from the old ignition setup. Going to use an LS coil wired into my MS3x box.

I have my cam card, Ill bring it in to show with the class. Its not mild in the Buick world. The duration is in the 218/22x range with mid 500s lift. I believe we achieved an overlap of -8*. But I will find the card and post it here.

We can always learn from the cam timings of another motor

Zack
Old 04-18-2018, 09:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Buick Turbo Cam Spec

Hi Zack, thanks for the kind words.

I have done many Pantera TT/Buick GN with DIS, my cam spec, Crower ground.
I had VERY good luck with cams of YOUR specified duration THOUGH they were on a 103C/L.

I ask, "What is the tooth count on your crankshaft Target Wheel ?"

I like DIY (MS3) work with Matt/Ben, they have bought 50K coils for me !

Would you like ME to supply your GEN-IV LS coils ?

My version is "wicked-up".

Lance
Old 07-29-2020, 09:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What a walk down memory lane!
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I miss Lance's input in these forums. A LOT of knowledge in that man's head...
Old 07-29-2020, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
I miss Lance's input in these forums. A LOT of knowledge in that man's head...
What happened to him?
Old 07-29-2020, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I honestly do not know. His business is still going.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Come back Martin!
Old 07-29-2020, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Received 170 Likes on 85 Posts

Excellent thread. Right on point.
G Atsma (07-29-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats up Martin! Nice to see on the board. Haven't been here in a while myself.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Come back Martin!
I'm still here if anyone needs me!
ddnspider (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 12:24 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,079 Posts

I'm still here if anyone needs me!
Very much appreciated!
Old 01-14-2021, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LSA moves Power Band

Originally Posted by Sales@Tick
I've been meaning to make this thread for a long time. The main reason I want to make this thread is to educate anyone out there who may be curious about cam specs and valve events and that wants to become better educated on how and why camshafts are specified. This may also be good for those of you who are planning on purchasing a camshaft soon, but are confused by the many variants of camshafts available that may all seem similar, but have different LSA and slightly different duration. Hopefully even the more seasoned veterans on this site that have been doing this for a long time will find this information valuable. So with that said, here goes nothing.

I feel like to explain this best, I need to first explain how I choose a camshaft. At least paraphrase it somewhat to the extent of this thread's purpose. I won't go through everything, but I'll start with the very first thing I do when I begin to spec a camshaft.

I do not select a camshaft based on duration nor do I select it based on LSA. Whenever I have one of you guys on the phone or I'm reading your email that you've sent with specifications of your combination listed, I am thinking of a certain set of valve events that I feel will perform best for the combination. Now, that is not to say I do not have a good idea of what duration and LSA will be, but until I hammer out the events I really do not care what they end up at. If the events are right, the duration and LSA will be right.

Once I have selected the valve events I feel are best for the combination, I use a valve event calculator to compute those valve events into intake duration, exhaust duration, intake center line and exhaust center line. I could do the math manually, but it's much simpler and easier to do it with a valve event calculator.

Here is the meat and potatoes on LSA and why it doesn't matter now that I've got that out of the way. LSA is just a number. It is a sum of numbers. Although the LSA is fixed to the camshaft used in a LS engine and cannot be altered once ground, it is not actually "ground into" the camshaft. It is merely a sum of numbers as I said above. The intake and exhaust "lobe centers" or the "lobe center lines" are what really matters along with the duration of the intake and exhaust lobe.

Now let me show you how LSA is computed from a sum of numbers. Take for example our SNS Stage 2 camshaft. Its specs are 227/235 .614/.621 110+3. Let's take a look at what 110+3 really means. This means that for this given camshaft, the intake center line is 107 and the exhaust center line is 113. What does this mean exactly? Let's first look at what center lines on a camshaft are.

The intake center line is the point on the intake lobe where maximum lobe lift is reached. I won't get into asymmetrical cams and how this changes in that instance, but for now lets just assume that the above is true in all instances. The exhaust center line is the point on the exhaust lobe where maximum lobe lift is reached. Again, let's just assume that all cam lobes are symmetrical for the purpose of this discussion.

So if we have a 107 intake center line this means that 107 crank degrees after top dead center the intake lobe is at max lift. If we have a 113 exhaust center line this means that 113 crank degrees before top dead center the exhaust lobe is at max lift.

With that out of the way we can now compute the LSA of the camshaft. Once we have our center lines and we know what they are, we now know for any given cylinder(1,2,3,4,5,6,7 or 8) that the intake and exhaust lobes max lift occur 220 crank degrees apart from one another. How do I know this? I'll show you.

If you take the 107 icl and the 113 ecl and add them together, you get 220 crank degrees of lobe separation. Lobe centers or lobe center lines are expressed in crank degrees while LSA is expressed in cam degrees. So this means that on any given cylinder in our LS engine with the SNS Stage 2 camshaft installed, max intake lobe lift and max exhaust lobe lift occur 220 crank degrees apart from one another.

Since the crankshaft rotates 2 full revolutions for every 1 cam revolution, to compute the lobe separation to cam degrees we take 220 and divide it by 2. This gives us 110. So 110 cam degrees of rotation occurs between the intake lobe's max lift and the exhaust lobe's max lift. This means that on any given cylinder in a LS engine with the SNS Stage 2 camshaft installed that the intake and exhaust max lobe lift is separated 110 cam degrees apart from one another.

That is ALL that it means.

I also get the question all the time, "will this cam chop"? Or, "I'm afraid that because this cam is on a 114lsa it won't chop". This is internet myth and I will debunk it here for you.

LSA as I have shown is nothing but a sum of numbers. Overlap is what determines how much your cam will chop in a given engine. Cubic inches and a few other factors can change how much it chops, but for the majority more overlap means more chop and less overlap means less chop.

Now that you know what center lines are, think about a camshaft mentally in your mind. Look at how the centers of the lobes are spread apart from one another. If the LSA is tighter they will be closer to one another and if the LSA is wider they will be spread further from one another. If you took those centers and spread them apart further from one another, what would happen to the intake opening and exhaust closing ramps? They would now overlap less. I'll give an example.

Take the SNS Stage 2 cam 107 and 113 centers. If we change the exhaust center to a 115, we now have changed the LSA to a 111lsa. We didn't touch the duration of the intake or exhaust lobes, we just widened the exhaust center line. By doing this, and widening the centers further apart we reduce overlap. The SNS Stage 2 has 11 degrees of overlap @.050 lobe lift. If we change it to a 111lsa by doing the above, we now have 9 degrees of overlap@.050 lobe lift.

Now here is the real eye opener. If two camshafts no matter their duration or LSA both have the same amount of overlap and you put both cams in the exact same vehicle with everything else the same aside from the camshafts they will sound identical.

Let's take another cam for this example. 235/251 116+5. This cam has a 111 icl and a 121 ecl. Now most of you would probably say that because this camshaft has a 116lsa that it will not chop nearly as hard as the 110lsa of the SNS Stage 2. Let's take a closer look at how much overlap this cam actually has.

To determine overlap we add the intake and exhaust durations together and then divide them by two. This gives us 243. We now take the LSA and multiply it by 2 this gives us 232. Now subtract 243-232 = 11 degrees of overlap. So this camshaft has just as much overlap as the SNS Stage 2 with a 110lsa.

If you had the SNS Stage 2 cam installed in your car and replaced it with the 235/251 116lsa cam it would sound 100% identical to the SNS camshaft that you previously had installed. Again, LSA is just a sum of numbers and it doesn't matter!

I will leave this thread with one last suggestion. Do not pick a cam based on LSA. LSA is not the end all be all when it comes to camshaft performance or sound. Don't be lured into a trap by a manufacturer or a vendor when they tell you that, "X companies camshaft won't sound like you want it to because it's ground on a certain LSA". If you really want to know how two different camshafts will sound and want to see which one will chop harder at idle, just compare their overlap figures. If one has more overlap than the other it will chop harder than the other 95% of the time. If one has less overlap than the other it will chop less 95% of the time. Different exhaust systems and tuning can and will affect this, but for the most part overlap is a very good way in determining cam sound AND how drivable a camshaft will be. Don't think that just because a cam is ground on a tight LSA that it will be a pain to drive or because it's ground on a wide LSA that it will be a dream to drive.

I hope I have now instilled in those of you that read this that camshafts are just a sum of numbers. There are no absolutes in cam grinding. Everything is a compromise and not everything is as it seems at face value. Look deeper into your cam selections and compare valve events, overlap figures and not just duration and LSA specs. Compare the known performance of other camshafts with similar overlap and valve events to the cam you're considering purchasing. This will give much more insight into what you're looking for rather than just basing an assumption of LSA and duration.

I know that some of you already may know what I have put here, and that some of you may find this boring and not intriguing. For those that did not know this information I hope that after reading this thread you are better informed about your future or past purchases and are better informed into the how and the why cams do what they do.
  • Richard Holdener did test with 3 cams with same duration and lift but different LSA. Test showed wider LSA moved power band further up in RPMs. Similar to how more duration moves power band up....
G Atsma (01-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Why LSA doesn't matter