Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 lifter swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS1 lifter swap

I have a lifter that just started making alittle noise so I am going to change them. My questions are.... what all is needed to do this? Can anyone give me a run down on these 2?
1. Parts list... gaskets etc.
2. Special tools...
I do know the heads will need to be pulled, but that's about all I know. "Lol" this will be my first time that deep in a LS1. Can I do it in the car or will I need to drop the motor? I just want to make sure I have everything I will need to get it done over the weekend because this is my daily driver. Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Check out ls1howto.com they should have a full write up with pictures. I would get new head gaskets/bolts and valve cover gaskets, intake port seals. and obviously new lifters and ls2 lifter trays.

Only special tools that may be needed are arp thread chasers to clean out your head bolt holes get all the gunk/loctite out. Make sure you clean the head bolt holes good and that there is no coolant in them. I used long q tips to soak up any coolant that was in there then blasted them with a air gun. Other than that just make sure you have a torque wrench and make sure you torque everything correctly. And if using new OEM STYLE head bolts they are torque to yield so follow the correct instructions and torque pattern.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Thanks, what is the purpose of changing to LS2 lifter trays?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N2Ojunky
Thanks, what is the purpose of changing to LS2 lifter trays?
Really no difference . Its one of those things you do because you are there any way.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Banned

Good timing for your post....I've got what I think is a noisy lifter also. But that's a bit more than I want to do at home. Looking for a decent shop in Greensboro NC area that are good with LS motors.....

Good luck, let us know how you make out.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

I have found out they don't sell LS1 lifters or LS1 lifter trays so the replacement is LS7 lifters and LS2 lifter trays. But can anyone rell e what Head gasket to use and what head bolts to use?

Quick Reply: LS1 lifter swap