Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm stumped, TDC Timing question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm stumped, TDC Timing question.

Alright, I'll try and explain this as best as possible.

I have my short block all put together, I was setting the #1 cylinder to TDC and the timing marks are perfectly aligned, dot to dot. Cam dot is at the 6 o'clock and crank at 12 o'clock

However, looking at the lobe's of the camshaft, it looks like the intake lobe is in the position to "open" in the #1 cylinder. Is this normal??

by rotating the crank I can see the intake lobe "opening", as I continue to rotate the crank, the intake lobe "closes" and now the piston is at TDC again at the compression stroke or firing position, but the timing marks are not the same, the cam dot is at 12 o'clock and the crank is also at 12 o'clock. Again, is this normal?

I understand that the computer controls the ignition timing. I also triple checked all my alignment marks, there is no other way the cam can go so I'm sort of loosing my mind if this is normal for LSx engines.

Any help to ease my mind would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that's exactly where it should be. You've got it set correctly.

If you have a cam card, a degree wheel and a dial gauge, you could degree the cam to confirm that the intake centerline lines up exactly where it should.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cam turns twice as fast as the crank so every revolution of the cam the crank is alternating at 6 and 12 o'clock. Where they line up is next to each other is when the piston should be at the top of the stroke. If you turn it the firing is when the dot is at top dead center.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The cam turns half of the revolutions of the crankshaft.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, it's a 2:1 ratio. Rotate the crank one more full revolution and the marks will line up again.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:28 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimeFunTV
Alright, I'll try and explain this as best as possible.

I have my short block all put together, I was setting the #1 cylinder to TDC and the timing marks are perfectly aligned, dot to dot. Cam dot is at the 6 o'clock and crank at 12 o'clock

However, looking at the lobe's of the camshaft, it looks like the intake lobe is in the position to "open" in the #1 cylinder. Is this normal??

by rotating the crank I can see the intake lobe "opening", as I continue to rotate the crank, the intake lobe "closes" and now the piston is at TDC again at the compression stroke or firing position, but the timing marks are not the same, the cam dot is at 12 o'clock and the crank is also at 12 o'clock. Again, is this normal?

I understand that the computer controls the ignition timing. I also triple checked all my alignment marks, there is no other way the cam can go so I'm sort of loosing my mind if this is normal for LSx engines.

Any help to ease my mind would be greatly appreciated.
At TDC, the valves are either open or closed depending on whether it's between the exhaust and intake stroke (overlap), or between the compression and power strokes. What you're seeing is completely normal.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Alright, that's a big sigh of relief. I was worried something was totally wrong, I did have the cam and crank degreed at the machine shop.

I've always heard that TDC is during the compression stroke aka when the piston is TDC to "fire".

I guess its slightly different with LS engines as the TDC of the Timing marks is at the beginning of the intake stroke (in other words when the cam and crank are alined and no.1 cylinder is tdc, its the beginning of the intake stroke, when all the exhaust gases have already exited)
Old 08-19-2014, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You also need to take into consideration any advance/retard Grd into the cam. Dot to Dot is only to set the cam to the manufactures specs, not straight up with no advance/retard unless it was Grd that way. Furthermore the actual cams specs and the advertised specs are not always the same, as stated above already.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 08-19-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You also need to take into consideration any advance/retard Grd into the cam. Dot to Dot is only to set the cam to the manufactures specs, not straight up with no advance/retard unless it was Grd that way.
That I know, its the reason why I had the machine shop take care of that for me. They did have to retard the cam to get it back to cam card spec's.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crank at 12 o'clock is TDC for the crankshaft.

Cylinder 1 valves are only closed with the cam timing mark at 12, not 6.

Dot to dot (6 to 12) is used for setting the cam timing, but as far as the valves are concerned the engine is 180 out. Therefore marks at 12 and 12 are TDC compression stroke.

Been like this for decades across most OHV engine platforms.

Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 08-19-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe you are out 180 degrees on the cam. With the cam at 6 o'clock, I believe cylinder #6 is at TDC firing, not cylinder #1. I would re-check.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

With the dots aligned, cyl #6 is at TDC firing...not #1.
This means that your setup is exactly right.
This is the way it is with the LS motors.
All other engines that I'm aware of, use dot to dot #1 @ TDC.
I went through the same thing when assembling my LS1 engine.
In reality, the firing order is 6-5-4-3-1-8-7-2.

>>> From "Joseph" LS1 engine builder
Re:When torqueing the rockers

Glenn, I'm glad you found my info helpful, not many people know the valve events for all 8 cylinders and when they happen. You would naturally assume with the dots aligned it would be the firing position of cylinder #1, when its actually the start of the intake stroke as far as the piston/intake valve is concerned. With the dots aligned cylinder #6 is the one to set preload/lash/ or for installing rockers. Each 90* (720* / 8cyl = 90*) on the crankshaft gear is another cylinder firing, while each 45* (360* / 8cyl = 45*) on the camshaft gear is another cylinder firing. Having the timing cover off helps to watch the sequence. Here's a copy/paste of a manuscript I'm working on that may help also:

LSX Firing Order 1, 8, 7, 2, 6, 5, 4, 3
TDC Cyl. #1) Camshaft dot at 12:00 / Crankshaft dot at 12:00
TDC Cyl. #8) Camshaft dot at 1:30 / Crankshaft dot at 3:00
TDC Cyl. #7) Camshaft dot at 3:00 / Crankshaft dot at 6:00
TDC Cyl. #2) Camshaft dot at 4:30 / Crankshaft dot at 9:00
TDC Cyl. #6) Camshaft dot at 6:00 / Crankshaft dot at 12:00
TDC Cyl. #5) Camshaft dot at 7:30 / Crankshaft dot at 3:00
TDC Cyl. #4) Camshaft dot at 9:00 / Crankshaft dot at 6:00
TDC Cyl. #3) Camshaft dot at 10:30 / Crankshaft dot at 9:00

If you have that and the timing cover off you don't even half to measure how far you turned the engine over, just line up the dots to the correct orientation and install. Thanks, Joseph
Old 08-19-2014, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

When it's dot to dot #1 is at the top of exhaust/beginning intake It just looks the same as firing.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gMAG
With the dots aligned, cyl #6 is at TDC firing...not #1.
This means that your setup is exactly right.
This is the way it is with the LS motors.
All other engines that I'm aware of, use dot to dot #1 @ TDC.
I went through the same thing when assembling my LS1 engine.
In reality, the firing order is 6-5-4-3-1-8-7-2.

>>> From "Joseph" LS1 engine builder
Re:When torqueing the rockers

Glenn, I'm glad you found my info helpful, not many people know the valve events for all 8 cylinders and when they happen. You would naturally assume with the dots aligned it would be the firing position of cylinder #1, when its actually the start of the intake stroke as far as the piston/intake valve is concerned. With the dots aligned cylinder #6 is the one to set preload/lash/ or for installing rockers. Each 90* (720* / 8cyl = 90*) on the crankshaft gear is another cylinder firing, while each 45* (360* / 8cyl = 45*) on the camshaft gear is another cylinder firing. Having the timing cover off helps to watch the sequence. Here's a copy/paste of a manuscript I'm working on that may help also:

LSX Firing Order 1, 8, 7, 2, 6, 5, 4, 3
TDC Cyl. #1) Camshaft dot at 12:00 / Crankshaft dot at 12:00
TDC Cyl. #8) Camshaft dot at 1:30 / Crankshaft dot at 3:00
TDC Cyl. #7) Camshaft dot at 3:00 / Crankshaft dot at 6:00
TDC Cyl. #2) Camshaft dot at 4:30 / Crankshaft dot at 9:00
TDC Cyl. #6) Camshaft dot at 6:00 / Crankshaft dot at 12:00
TDC Cyl. #5) Camshaft dot at 7:30 / Crankshaft dot at 3:00
TDC Cyl. #4) Camshaft dot at 9:00 / Crankshaft dot at 6:00
TDC Cyl. #3) Camshaft dot at 10:30 / Crankshaft dot at 9:00

If you have that and the timing cover off you don't even half to measure how far you turned the engine over, just line up the dots to the correct orientation and install. Thanks, Joseph
By far this is the best answer.

See, the reason why I asked this question in the beginning of the topic was for a lot of "Old school" engines for gm, dodge, or ford, would have the "dot to dot" timing and the piston would be a TDC at the compression stroke, and then you'd set the distributor rotor on no.1. ignition. (engine may vary of course) this is what I've always assumed.

Well obviously the LS engines don't have a distributor, all ignition timing is done via computer, so this explains a lot of whats going on inside the engine and helps me know more about the engine as I put it together.

Thank you to everyone who helped answer my question. Really puts my mind at ease.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AnimeFunTV
See, the reason why I asked this question in the beginning of the topic was for a lot of "Old school" engines for gm, dodge, or ford, would have the "dot to dot" timing and the piston would be a TDC at the compression stroke, and then you'd set the distributor rotor on no.1. ignition. (engine may vary of course) this is what I've always assumed.:
This is wrong. On a SBC you install the cam dot to dot (6 and 12) and then turn the engine over one revolution so the dots are at 12 and 12. Either you're remembering incorrectly or your distributor was 180 out and you had some funky spark plug wire routing
Old 08-20-2014, 09:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
This is wrong. On a SBC you install the cam dot to dot (6 and 12) and then turn the engine over one revolution so the dots are at 12 and 12. Either you're remembering incorrectly or your distributor was 180 out and you had some funky spark plug wire routing
Then I stand corrected. Again, its what I had assumed. At least its all clear to me now on how the LS engines are designed.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info here as I am ready to perform this step soon for pushrod length checking and PTV clearance.
Marc, I originally posted here that I thought you were wrong about the old school small block. It was bothering me so I did some more research and found out you were right. I have personally put together 3 old school small blocks and 1 big block and thought that dot to dot (crank at 12 Oclock and Cam at 6 Oclock) is Cylinder #1 TDC firing. Then I remembered that I always set the valves after that and found #1 TDC firing by watching the valves or listening for compression out of the #1 spark plug hole. Thanks for setting me straight.

Last edited by Aston Tibs; 08-21-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I have to admit, this is still not quite clear to me. Like the OP, I installed the cam and have dot to dot with #1 @ TDC. I compounded the problem by measuring for pushrod length on #1. I have to re-measure again for the pushrod length but if I am understanding this correctly, I need to redo the cam so the dot is at 12 o'clock with #1 @ TDC and then the measuring can be done on #1.

Can someone please confirm that I have it correct.

TIA,
Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZFC
I have to admit, this is still not quite clear to me. Like the OP, I installed the cam and have dot to dot with #1 @ TDC. I compounded the problem by measuring for pushrod length on #1. I have to re-measure again for the pushrod length but if I am understanding this correctly, I need to redo the cam so the dot is at 12 o'clock with #1 @ TDC and then the measuring can be done on #1.

Can someone please confirm that I have it correct.

TIA,
you can measure for pushrod length anytime the lifter is on the base circle of the cam

Quick Reply: I'm stumped, TDC Timing question.