Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hemi heads on LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hemi heads on LS1?

i was just wondering if it was possible/plausible to do such a thing. afterall, arent the heads what give the dodge hemi its power?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: hemi heads on LS1?

It would be a total waste. The chamber design on the ls1 is great and also hemi combustion chambers require a very wide head so I don't think you could even do it and make it work with the ls1 deminsions. The hemi made power with cubes, valve size, compression, port volume and alot of carb cfm. On gasoline there are better head designs.Its hard to beat with alcohol or nitro. The ls1 is making alot of power already considering its early stage of life. One thing a hemi does have an advantage in is valve sizing and runner aim at the valve.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:23 AM
Launching!

i know hemi = hemispherical but could you put this in terms a dumbass such as myself could comprehend?

Clint
Old 03-14-2003, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the spark plug is in the top center of the combustion chamber instead of coming in from the side like ours....somebody correct me if im wrong please.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Overhead cam Hemi is mechanically aesthetic, but a cam in block Hemi is not so aesthetic. Search for pictures of hemi head Chryslers, and you will se what I mean. Heads are huge, and the valvetrain looks scary and heavy. ;-)

I am not holding my breath for such a head design. Yes it is doable, but there I see a lot of mechanical compromises being made in such an effort.

The hemi is cool because you can locate the spark in the center of the combustion chamber, and your valve size is not as limited.

LSx valves are -- [visualize valve stems] aligned, but Hemi valves are / \ aligned with the sparkplug located in the center of the two valves. [do you not love asci artwork!]