Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to make a decision - Who to choose? Thompson Motorsports, ATK, Golen Engines...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to make a decision - Who to choose? Thompson Motorsports, ATK, Golen Engines...

If any of you have been following, I have been researching a new engine for my 84 short bed Chevy 4x4 truck. After countless hours, searches, reviews, calls and emails, I have narrowed the selection down to a few vendors. All are offering about the same price for a complete, turn key build. When I searched on here and other forums, I get mixed reviews on them all. So hard to say who is "best". I guess my concern is not only after the service sale if I do have an issue but who also has the most experience. Lots of folks can put an engine together, but I am looking for a shop that is expert at LS engines. My budget may not be a lot for some of these shops ($10K) but to me this a lot of money. I have also ruled out a few local shops because of their lack of interest in "LS" series engines. I called another seemingly reputable shop in Chardon Ohio (about an hour from me) but their engine builder said they don't do low budget builds with "Chinese" parts and can only build engines with American made parts; their lowest price engine would be $25k+.

Looking at turn key LQ4/LQ9 408 builds from...
1. Thompson Motorsports - Kyle
2. ATK High Performance - Brandon
3. Golen Engine Service - Chad

I reached out to a few others but they either didn't call back or never sent a quote.

Can anyone chime in on their experiences with quality and customer service with any? If I have blatantly missed a shop that I should call, I would be interested in that info as well.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ATK seems new and not many experiences on here from what I see. TMS seems to have a lot of happy customers and they do good with warranty or customer service. Golen has good reputation in the LT crowd but also do alot of work in newer LS engines.

Out of those, I personally would be partial to Golen simply because they are local to me and from speaking with Chad he seemed very nice, helpful and knowledgeable. Being able to "stop by" the shop that is working on your engine is nice.

Other than that, my other choice would be TMS because they seem to have good prices and good customer service.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Chad was definitely the nicest on the phone and with follow up. He has always been available to answer my questions, etc. His quote was the highest by over $1,000 of the next nearest quote.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I got my LQ9 short block from Thompson Motorsports and can't say enough great things about this company! Very happy with my purchase!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Chad was definitely the nicest on the phone and with follow up. He has always been available to answer my questions, etc. His quote was the highest by over $1,000 of the next nearest quote.
That's weird, you must have a very specific setup in mind.

When I was shopping for a 402, Chad had quoted me just about $4600 for a complete shortblock (no core) with premium parts (callies, mahle, clevite etc.).

On the TMS website the same shortblock is $4599 but using their own brand of rods and crank which who knows where they are made. Unless over the phone they give you a much better deal than the online price, they seem to be about the same.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After finding this little collection hiding behind the windage tray...
Time to make a decision - Who to choose?  Thompson Motorsports, ATK, Golen Engines...-engine-parts.jpg

I am in the same boat. ATK is hard to beat on the 460hp 6.0 IMHO. Hard to build a motor for the $3600 they want for a long block.
Also open to suggestions though too.....Not wanting to hijack the OP's thread.

Martin
Old 09-11-2014, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Good thread I'm interested to see others experiences.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I think any of these shops would be good:

HKE
LME
Thompson
Proline/Vengeance
VA Speed
Race Proven Motorsports
Rapid Motorsports
ERL
LMR
AES

I'm sure there are a few others. But those are sponsors here with a good reputation. I've seen poor things for Golen in the past. And ATK is a sponsor and has good prices, but I haven't seen any feedback on them yet.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Teching In

I really wanted to get a quote from HKE as I had heard great things about their work too, but I couldn't get in touch with anyone on the site and their number listed on the site when you calls says "No longer in service".
Old 09-11-2014, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an ATK 408, it was a shortblock though. No problems great communication and its making nice power 800+ on 12psi.

I would get quotes from all and check out the specific warranty. I know ATK has been around for a years (decades) doing reman engines and what not, but OP get the overall picture from all of them before you make a decison

The only problem I see with this thread is that you will get a lot of opinions from people who havent actually had or tested the products from the vendors, theyre just going by what others say, so be mindful of that
Old 09-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
I have an ATK 408, it was a shortblock though. No problems great communication and its making nice power 800+ on 12psi.

I would get quotes from all and check out the specific warranty. I know ATK has been around for a years (decades) doing reman engines and what not, but OP get the overall picture from all of them before you make a decison
Thanks for your feedback. I was actually just doing some more searches and came across a previous post you made and how you were satisfied with your ATK short block. Good to hear.

In the meantime, I was also referred to call Thomson Engineering up in Michigan, not to be confused with Thompson in Texas. Guy pretty much told me if I didn't want to spend $15-$20k that they don't build engines for people in my price range. Go buy a GM crate motor he said.

I can honestly say that this whole process of getting quotes and talking to various vendors has been pretty exhausting. I am in sales myself and I wish I was as busy as these guys who turn away business.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shame that arrogance is alive and well in the engine building world isn't it?
I would also ONLY listen to either folks that can send you to the person with experience, or have the experience themselves, when talking about a shop. Too many Google genius' these days...
I am very tempted by the ATK long block, seeing as one head is now fecked, along with the crank counterweight and one cylinder.
I wouldn't trust using anything on the motor besides the bare block and punch it out.

Martin
Old 09-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks Martin. Your right, the arrogance in the industry is definately alive and well. But I also understand both sides. I am sure some of these shops get endless requests from people who have no money, an unrealistic budget or a misconceptions due to what they read online. It really is overwhelming. My biggest thing I am looking for in a shop is someone who will listen to me and make suggestions appropriate for my application. I don't want a car motor for my heavy truck, it will for sure be a disappointment. It would be like hooking up one of these fast, light body cars to a 3000lb trailer and seing how well it performs. Suddenly, in that light, it make sense.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do some reading on the LT1 side of things. Golen likes to give magazines parts and such buying a reputation, their positive reputation is NOT earned.

Last edited by 96capricemgr; 09-11-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

LME used to be good and I've had success talking to Bryan Neelan there. LMR is owned by his dad I believe, but LMR is pretty high dollar. HKE is difficult to get in touch with...

Mikey @ Rapid Motorsports
Fran @ Race Proven Motorsports
Shawn @ VA Speed

I'd feel comfortable wit them.

Allan Futral @ Futral Motorsports also does motors.

But of who you talked to, Thompson seems the best. I'm very much considering using Kyle when my shortblock goes. Really it's between them, HKE, and LME for me.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Teching In

Thanks Jake. I am going to check into those places and see what they can offer as well. I tried HKE again, no response. Does anyone know of a good phone number or email address for them?
Old 09-12-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I love the "mixed reviews on all of them" but help me picked one. How about neither! Why don't you pick one without mixed reviews? Serious question.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Teching In

I would love to find one with a flawless reputation. I understand part and component failure; it comes down to how the supplier handles the issue. When I talk to any of them they tell me how their customers come first, but then I see posts here and other places that might initially indicate otherwise.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No direct experience but I remember reading a thread where the likely situation was that an inexperienced tuner gave the motor too much timing or to little fuel and killed a brand new motor, TSM knowing this still honored there warranty. It's just like you said, everyone makes mistakes, it's how you fix then that counts.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Cant say enough good things about Kyle at TMS. I picked up a nice shortblock from him at a great price. He actually answers the phone when you call and he calls you back if you leave a message or a email. I was amazed at how many companies did not do either when I was looking. Best of all he stands behind his work. I had a issue when putting my motor together and Kyle was great. It ended up not being a problem with the shortblock .Good luck with your build no matter who you go with.

Quick Reply: Time to make a decision - Who to choose? Thompson Motorsports, ATK, Golen Engines...