Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine noise, and muck on drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine noise, and muck on drain plug

Last week I drove my SS to work, and I noticed when I got home the motor had a kinda loud tick, oil pressure is good and the noise does NOT increase in speed along with engine RPM. I changed the oil last night and when I pulled the drain plug I noticed, what I would consider something that looked like bearing grease stuck to the drain plugs magnetic end; I pulled the stuff off the plug and rubbed it between my fingers and couldn't see or feel any metal, but obviously it had to have metallic properties if it was stuck to magnet. After I changed the oil, the noise is still present. I did notice that my oil pressure was kinda high when I started motor to check for leaks. I have a ported/polished oil pump and was almost at 80 on the gauge, let it run for a minute , shut it off and back on and the gauge read about 60 at idle. I have seen several videos of LS1 engine knocks and spun bearing, this makes me nervous...my car has 30,000 miles on the factory shortblock and maybe 6000 miles on H/C and hasn't been raced since 2006, always sits in garage with 0w30 Castol Syn changed twice a year, I am lucky to drive it a couple hundred miles a year, any thoughts?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Muck is normal, bearings are not magnetic. I wouldn't worry too much about yet. Just take it easy on it until you diagnose the noise. If you can post up a decent video maybe we can guess a little at it.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does not increase in frequency with RPM? That would point me to something electrical. No other symptoms? I did have an old Mustang that I removed the wiper arms from to run an obnoxiously large cowl hood and left the motor in there..accidentally turned the switch on inside the car one day and embarrassingly took me a few minutes to figure out where that noise was coming from under the hood. Have also had leaves and crap get into the AC intake and make a pretty crazy sound out of the cowl area. Just food for thought. Or maaaaaybe something vacuum related or spark jumping out of a plug wire but that would likely change with RPM.

Good luck with your issue.

Quick Reply: engine noise, and muck on drain plug