Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve train noise and ??'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Valve train noise and ??'s

I recently did heads and cam in my 2000 ws6 and have some valve train noise, im assuming its just something i have to deal with because my preload is right, its set at around .065". My question is, can the trunion upgrade quiet the valvetrain down?? Im thinking the noise is coming from the rockers with the play they have back and forth. Anyone have any opinions?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The trunion kit would be a good idea but I doubt itll fix the noise. When I first cam up my car I use PSI1511ml behive springs on stock heads. Tried many different preload settings. It was always pretty noisy. Later I changed lifter to ls7 from stock. Still the same. I then put the trunion kit in and still noisy. Fast forward another year and I put some ported heads on with 2.02 valves and manely nextex dual springs on the car and still sounds the same.

I did a iron 6.0 motor for a friend with all the goodies and his motor was very quiet. Ive come to realize that some noise is just gonna be their with the aluminum block. I did nothing different on my friends motor that I did to mine. Check pushrod length. Got it where I like them . Sounded great. I wouldn't worry about it to much. Mines been that way for around 3 years with no issues. In fact this motor was always kinda noisy even when it was new and the dealer told us it was normal and sent us outta their like that.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it sound like a wrong choice pushrod length or is it just the valves slamming shut.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hard to tell without a video of some sort. Yes there is noise when doing an aftermarket cam, especially if you get hard exhaust lobes. No matter what you do there will be this noise, but you can lessen it with the right upgrades.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

the noise im experiencing isnt extremely loud, its just a light clatter that increases with rpm. It seems worse after you beat it a lil bit and get the oil warmer. the noise seems like its right under the valve cover thats why i asked about the trunion upgrade
Old 10-24-2014, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search & see if you can hear the same sounds, it will give you a better idea as to your issue
Old 10-24-2014, 05:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently aggressive cam profiles can contribute to the noise to some degree, EPS claim there profiles are easy on valve train compents make less noise etc, iam keen to try an EPS cam my self
Old 10-25-2014, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

The lobe profile of a cam easily dictate how noisy a valve train can be. The older XER lobes have a very fast ramp rate, which can be very noisy.

The trunnion upgrade is more preventative maintenance. You can spin the motor freely without the fear of spilling needle bearings everywhere.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kgtp
the noise im experiencing isnt extremely loud, its just a light clatter that increases with rpm. It seems worse after you beat it a lil bit and get the oil warmer. the noise seems like its right under the valve cover thats why i asked about the trunion upgrade
Try running a little stp in the oil or use a thicker oil. I have the same trouble and STP stopped the noise completely.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It the nature of the beast most of the time and I wouldn't change oil weight for a noise issue. Oil in for bearings and it depends on what they want which you can't hear. Besides the normal noise I found a FAST 102 transmits even more than my stock LS6 did.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bone stock 5.3 has made noise practically since it was brand new
Gotten worse with age but runs fine. Dino oil quieted it down some

Heard many that never make noise...sometimes mines fairly quiet other times sounds like its going to explode but keeps running, 162k
Old 10-26-2014, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Is it possible the injectors are getting louder with engine temp? My injectors are maxed out atm, i have new injectors waiting to go in when i get my wideband on it. Just an idea?

Quick Reply: Valve train noise and ??'s