Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd pinging issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Odd pinging issue

I have been chasing light throttle ping in stop and go driving for over a year. The hotter the engine gets the worse it gets. But it always stops at 1/4 throttle or if the coolant temp is below 200 or so. I've been scanning it carefully and its not running lean AND the computer does not pull any timing.

Well after losing my mind trying to figure what is going on I FOUND IT. Its actually the lifters bleeding down too fast at high oil temps causing the valves to slam into their seats as piston comes up building pressure just before the valve closes causing the PING noise.

How I finally confirmed it was by driving it, getting it hot. Was "pinging" terribly then I added STP and its quiet as a mouse.

That a PAIN THE AZZ to figure out. If any of you have pinging and knocking without knock retard its your lifters bleeding down too fast.
The PCM won't KR because this noise happens BEFORE the spark event.

Drove me crazy for a year. I have to either replace the oil pump to get the pressure a little higher in traffic(38psi now) or run thicker oil or replace these crapo stock 01 lifters.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Well, I would never allow my engine temps hit 200. I have a 160* stat with lowered fan on temps to keep my engine under 185*F under any conditions. Also, I use 15W50 Mobil 1 oil.

Any mods to your engine? Stock tune?

Russ Kemp
Old 10-25-2014, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of stp did you add? Im having a sound i cant figure out. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ve-spring.html
Old 10-25-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Just regular STP, car runs great now and its quiet as a mouse. The stock GM lifters they used in 01 gave a lot of trouble. They rattle and tap and knock crazy bad, the bleed rate is too fast. I'm going to stick a ported oil pump in it before I do anything else and see if more oil volume helps the trouble. I have 38 hot idle 60 WOT. WOT its quiet, it in the low rpm's when the oil pressure is lower that I get the lifter noise.

Quick Reply: Odd pinging issue