Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ive got a gameplan, now its time to find the parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ive got a gameplan, now its time to find the parts

Bought an M3 with a LS1 out of a 2002 Camaro that had a spun bearing. Motor had about 60k on it and spun because it didnt have oil pan baffling and the car was getting some track use. With everything disassembled it spun #5 and #6 rod bearing. Everything else looked good and Im doing assembly myself with a very tight budget.

Plan goes as follows, would love input as to the best place to procure the needed parts. Trying to find the compromise of doing it well and cheap. (not looking to add power)

Find a used crank and two used good rods
Ball hone the cylinders to deglaze
hand polish crank as well as I can
New stock rings
New rod and main bearings
upgrade rod bolts as I hear this is a weak point
replace head bolt with stock gm ones.

the bearing have been easy to find and Im hoping to find crank and rods in the classifieds here, where can I find stock replacement rings?

I am going to upgrade the oil pump and install a baffle. Going to leave the heads as is justt clean everything and flush numurous times.

Any thoughts, advice is appreicated as yes, I am a newb, Ive spent many hours reading on here and you all seem very knowlegable..

thanks
Old 11-17-2014, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should be able to find any stock replacement parts you need on RockAuto. For mods to improve your oiling system you may want to look at Improved Racing.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I use a ball hone just to freshen up the cylinder walls, can I use standard sized rings or go with oversized?

Quick Reply: Ive got a gameplan, now its time to find the parts