Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NA piston rings suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014 | 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Default NA piston rings suggestions

looking for suggestions for piston rings for a stock bore NA lq4 with stock pistons, going to be just basic rebuild with possible heads but definitely a cam was going to use stock rings from napa but there are quite a few different choices
Old 11-29-2014 | 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

I've always had good luck with Hastings brand rings. You'll want a moly faced primary ring and low tension oil rings. Make sure your hone job uses 320-400 grit stones. 280 might work with the right pressure however too coarse will scrub the moly off the rings and cause oil burning.
Old 11-29-2014 | 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would suggest the Mahle replacements. They created a line of rings with great features with an affordable price. They come with a Moly coated steel ring instead of ductile, napier second instead of reverse taper, and a light tension oil pack. This translates into power and they're pretty affordable. I bought a set for a stock ls1 for around $60 shipped. Here's a link from Summit for a common size http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pc...-030/overview/ .
A.R.'s advice is solid and these combined will make for a durable and affordable setup.

Quick Reply: NA piston rings suggestions