Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 semi-budget recipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Default LQ4 semi-budget recipe?

I picked up 2 LQ4's that I'm going to build for the wifes 94 Impala SS and in the spring we're selling my sons Firebird and getting him a 99-02 Z28. Both are getting the 6.0s.
My plan is to get about 450-500rwhp. Going to build both the same. My budget is about $4-5k per engine. Both will be 408cid. The blocks are at the shop now getting cleaned & bored. Since their lead time is so long, I have a long time until I have to get pistons for them to do the boring. They probably won't need the pistons until March time frame.

The Impala build is an extended project (over a year) since it needs so much to convert. But the F-body project is something we want to accomplish pretty quick.

My interest is in good rotating assembly yielding about 10.5:1 CR, using the stock 317s with just a mild runner clean up, good cam without having PTV clearance issues all with decent street manners.

The Impala is a Sunny day car and the future F-body will be a DD.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Your budget is near blown before anyone answers a question if you are honest about what you will really spend on short blocks oil pan, pumps etc., and some valve train. Start getting into intake manifolds and even basic head rebuilding and you are tapped.
Old 12-02-2014, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

The budget is based on the engine. Not all the accessories tied into it.
I'm just looking for those who have built long or short blocks and what their components were to achieve a good 10.5:1 CR motor with moderate hp. I'm not needing a full stage 3 port job or top fuel cam profile. These are streetcars and the future F-body for my son is for DD and Auto-x.
BTW, block machine work is not in this $$$ equation. That's already paid for.

Thing's I'm looking for are:
-Rotating assembly --go 408 or stay stock stroke since they both need bored .030.
-piston specs (what cc dish) with a 317 head
-any milling and how much
-use different heads
-head gaskets
-proven cam profiles
- PR lengths
-Rocker ratios
etc, etc

I'm building durable engines for longevity. Not a single season race engine.

Quick Reply: LQ4 semi-budget recipe?