Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil preasure

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil preasure

I know this info is probably on here some where but can someone tell me about how long it should take to see oil preasure. No computer or wires so I am not trying to start it. It's all brand new except the block and just want to make sure I have oil preasure. I used lots of assembly lube so hopefully it's all right till I see preasure. It is in a 64 Corvette with factory gauges so hopefully it is functioning. Thanks
Old 12-21-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might take a few seconds but with assy lube you should be fine for the first start. If you aren't actually going to start it its even easier on the engine since its just spinning freely. No pressure from cylinder firing. So you could crank it over for a while without hurting anything. I wouldn't worry about 30 seconds or more myself. Again, there wont be any real pressure on anything.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made a pvc pipe type pressurized tube push 5 quarts of oil (at 40psi)right into the galley access fitting on the front left side of the block. Put the alternator in and all the front stuff and wires back on. and The next day just turned the key and I got oil pressure instantly and not a sound of any under hood ticking.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still no pressure

I am going take oil pan off and check the o ring in the pump. I found a unopened bag with two o rings so not sure what's in there. Anyone know which o ring I should use. Black one or thicker green one. I have f body pan and pick up tube. Thanks
Old 12-22-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The smaller one

Quick Reply: oil preasure