Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few technical questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few technical questions

building motor for my swap into my Porsche 944. I have a lq4 block, just picked up some 806 heads. my question is what headgasket do I use? someone said something about some gaskets will cause coolant to leak. also what push rods shall I use? the stock lq4 ones? also im using ls4 intake off 5.3 car motor. thanks for all the help in advance.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:43 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech!

Stock GM or aftermarket MLS gaskets will do fine. Match them to the bore size and get the head bolts installed correctly.

You MUST use new bolts (if staying with GM bolts). I always recommend ARP head studs or at least ARP head bolts.

Sounds like an interesting swap, you should start a build thread in our conversions section: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
Old 01-05-2015, 03:47 PM

yea I need to get one written up the next couple nights. what about push rods?
Old 01-05-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 481 Likes on 332 Posts

806 heads had a notch in the deck. The original GM gaskets were a composite material (I believe it was graphite impregnated) not like the newer MLS gaskets. GM part number was #12498543

I believe Felpro has a gasket that will work for either type of head. Notched or un notched. I have no info on that though...
Old 01-05-2015, 06:59 PM

so I need to get that gm # headgasket? also any info on pushrods?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 PM

still need info on pushrods guys! any help?
Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 806 castings will require the older graphite head gaskets, as mentioned. However, the part number listed is for an LS1, so they won't work. Those gaskets have a 3.91" bore size. You would need the set that is 6.0L specific.

As for the pushrods, are you going to run a stock cam or aftermarket? If you're going to run aftermarket, you'll need a set of hardened pushrods for the more aggressive lobes. Which set will also depend on which cam. Some of the more aggressive cams will use a smaller base circle cam core, which will require a slightly longer pushrod. We always recommend checking for proper pushrod length via an adjustable pushrod length checker. The one we sell is listed below:

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-275-com...h-checker.aspx

Give us a call if we can help you with cam and valvetrain selection. We offer multiple packages that will include your choice of cam, a set of valve springs, and a set of hardened pushrods starting at $629.99!

http://www.texas-speed.com/c-845-camshaft-packages.aspx

Which package you choose will be dependent on which cam you choose. The cheaper package will include a set of PRC 1518 single beehive valve springs that will support up to .625" lift, and the more expensive package will include the PRC .650" dual valve spring kit that includes springs, titanium retainers, new seats, and new valve seals. Let us know if we can help!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: few technical questions