Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes morel lifters superior to ls7s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 251 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by tuskyz28
for 60 bucks more the 5315s from morel would be the best option over a ls7 lifter without breaking the bank...... 60 bucks could later save time, save a cam, save money and a headache.

bingo
Old 02-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would you guys say for a link bar setup on a cam with a XE lobe that's under .600
Old 02-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've lost 3 motors due to stock ls7 lifters eating camshafts. Switched to morel 5206's and zero issues... 7k miles so far. The proof is in the pudding.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:06 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All right I pulled the heads & the Morels are on their way I was not happy with my valve stem seal job when I replaced cam, springs & re shimmed with the heads on. The increased noise from the LS7 lifters with the increased spring pressure certainly made me nervous. I want to hit the dyno this spring & hope for smooth rev to 7000 with no worries.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 586 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by ctd
All right I pulled the heads & the Morels are on their way I was not happy with my valve stem seal job when I replaced cam, springs & re shimmed with the heads on. The increased noise from the LS7 lifters with the increased spring pressure certainly made me nervous. I want to hit the dyno this spring & hope for smooth rev to 7000 with no worries.
Cheapest price I have seen on the 5315 lifters is from Colorado Speed. 185 bucks.....
While most people sell them for 200 bucks. Figure I'll help you save 15 bucks LOL. 15 bucks is beer money!!
Old 02-15-2015, 08:43 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Colorado will never see another dime from me. I went with Martin @ Tick, honestly I did not even check pricing, Martin has been extremely helpful, above & beyond with my entire re cam process. Kudos to Martin...or is it Martin for President
Old 03-12-2015, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by axe murderer
Anyone that thinks they're getting a good lifter for $200 is mistaken, most of the postings telling you they're good are from people selling them not by people that know how they're made.

The real Morels are good lifters, if you're going to use stronger springs & turn your motor up they're the way to go but get in line if you want them because last I heard they're a little hard to get.

Here is a picture of a bad Comp Cam ran with good Morels, it's the junk Comp Cam cores.
The local guys that run several real racing engines on their Superflow 901 engine dyno every week have a pile of junk flaking Comp Cams & will no longer used them but plenty of places on here will sell them to you.
Would you say the LS7 lifters are junk as well? I would think they're produced in much greater numbers than the Morels, which I'm assuming would help drive prices down. Or would you consider the LS7's and the cheap Morels a wash?

I know there are tons of factors involved, but it seems to me if you're not picking the biggest baddest cam out there, and you're not spinning to 10,000rpm, you should be fine with something along the lines of an LS7.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Launching!

First of all, i cannot believe this thread is still alive.
Second, I missed all the fun apparently.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Define "better steel"?

My angle here has nothing to do with Morel, and everything to do with ignorant folks posting pictures of shiny things and comparing apples and oranges like using the billet bodies or linkbars as comparison to GM stuff when the OP was asking about lowerend dropin stuff.
I dont feel ignorant. I feel that people that build forged stroker engines with multi thousand dollar rotating assemblies get to their top end the put the worst lifter EVER in that costs a few cases of beer thinking it will last on their aggressive ramp rate cam.

THAT is ignorance.
the LS7 lifter is now the standard lifter used in every replacement of a failed GM lifter, and trust me, there are thousands and thousands of cams being replaced because of wiped lifters.

Chris Straub put the stories to bed about the Morel. The clips in the street version are now better than previously. Actually more and more lifter company's are switching due to that specific problem.

Here's the real reason to use nice lifters:

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
"When the valve is allowed to do what the lobe is actually commanding it to do, good things usually happen!"

The above statement sums it up pretty much.

If the cam is not allowed to operate around its designed parameters a loss in power will occur.

Once the cam is allowed to operate around its designed parameters, meaning full lift and duration is transferred to the valve, more power will be made as a result.

Why would you open up an engine, pour money into it, and not fix a potential horsepower killer and engine killer.
It's a modified engine. Pay accordingly.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know this is a little older thread but I thought id share. Just got my 5315 morels in and they are IDENTICAL to my stock lifters from my 2007 TBSS.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read your post a month ago before I ordered them. My LS2 lifters look like the morels with the retaining clip on the roller.
Attached Thumbnails What makes morel lifters superior to ls7s?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Pwebbz28; 12-23-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's another pic.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post a pic of the top...looking down at the pushrod seat and clip? Both bodies definitely appear to be Eaton. Only difference I see is the older "LS2" lifter is running a GT Tech bearing and the 5315 has an INA bearing.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know anything at all about them. What's the bearing difference? I can see it but don't know what I'm looking at.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Top pic
Old 12-25-2015, 04:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not an engineer or anything, but those sure as hell look like the same lifter to me. I've been reading till my eyes have bled, I'm gonna go with Johnson lifters on my build, just not sure which ones yet, can't decide between a drop in or link bar.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:48 PM
Teching In

One question I ant answered by the knowledgeable engine builder guys and suppliers is this:

How many lifter failures were actually lifter failure?

vs.

How many lifter failures were actually by being beat to death and too heavy valve trains with too little or too much spring, etc.?
Old 12-26-2015, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.8TransAM
One question I ant answered by the knowledgeable engine builder guys and suppliers is this:

How many lifter failures were actually lifter failure?

vs.

How many lifter failures were actually by being beat to death and too heavy valve trains with too little or too much spring, etc.?
You mean the lifter is the cause of the failure?

That would be tough to say for sure, but I'd like to see people chime in who have properly setup valvetrains to tell us if they've had a failure before.

The only lifter failure I had was a cam with very aggressive lobes with stock valves, crappy 5/16 spaghetti push rods, and those really shitty patriot extreme springs. it was my first cam swap

Since then I put 30k miles on LS7 lifters in my vette with an AI cam, PSI springs, and the same shitty 5/16 pushrods.

Now I have 3k on LS7 lifters in my G8 with a Cam Motion cam, light LS3 intake valves, heavy duty 3/8 pushrods, and BTR springs with titanium retainers.

I would be very surprised if i have lifter failure with this setup, but I am still throwing in Johnsons if I do a head swap.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mchicia1
You mean the lifter is the cause of the failure?

That would be tough to say for sure, but I'd like to see people chime in who have properly setup valvetrains to tell us if they've had a failure before.

The only lifter failure I had was a cam with very aggressive lobes with stock valves, crappy 5/16 spaghetti push rods, and those really shitty patriot extreme springs. it was my first cam swap

Since then I put 30k miles on LS7 lifters in my vette with an AI cam, PSI springs, and the same shitty 5/16 pushrods.

Now I have 3k on LS7 lifters in my G8 with a Cam Motion cam, light LS3 intake valves, heavy duty 3/8 pushrods, and BTR springs with titanium retainers.

I would be very surprised if i have lifter failure with this setup, but I am still throwing in Johnsons if I do a head swap.
You hit on the head exactly what I am talking about.

Kind of curious to see what the uber experienced folks have actually experienced in regards to the failures they have had/seen.
Old 12-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a friend that builds a lot of big block Chevy engines for performance marine offshore stuff. Big block Chevies have heavy valve train and the marine stuff uses heavy valves for durability which exacerbates the situation. He had failures with the Morel lifters. He has since switched to Johnson lifters and swears by them.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I have shipped 1318 sets of 5315's this year. I have had a total of 19 lifters, 1.187 sets be returned for inspection.

Morel has been a supplier to EATON for 60 years. The Street Series lifter is an EATON body with Morel upgrades. All the street series lifters went to a live axle a year ago. If you look at the axle it is retained by a wire lock. This will not allow axle to walk out of the body if the valvetrain goes out of control. This is same kind of retention you will see in high end lifters series offered by Morel and Jesel.

Quick Reply: What makes morel lifters superior to ls7s?