Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Motion LLR Low Lash Roller Street Cam Install With Dyno & Track Results

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice job and with a really cool car too!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

awesome build man. I keep thinking about these solid rollers lol. So how does it drive compared to the eps cam? Do you think the gain in power cam from the swap itself or more so from the increased duration
Old 01-28-2015, 08:31 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by redbird555
awesome build man. I keep thinking about these solid rollers lol. So how does it drive compared to the eps cam? Do you think the gain in power cam from the swap itself or more so from the increased duration
This new cam has 16 degrees of overlap vs. the old cams 10 degrees, so the idle has more lope. It sounds a lot tougher at a stop light for sure. It also bucks a couple hundred rpm earlier than the old cam at low speeds with the torque converter locked up. This is the first cam I have had in the car which I really liked the idle sound. I could pull up a lawn chair and listen to this thing thump and be happy.

One of the most notable things about this cam is its consistency. The old hydraulic's idle would vary from lumpy to much more smooth depending on how warm the engine was or if I had been running it hard. This solid cam sounds good all the time.

Also, with the old hydraulic, when I had been running it hard, it would have a super annoying lifter-tick that was most notable at cruise RPMs. I put two sets of LS7 lifters in this engine and every length of pushrod known to man yet I could never get rid of that damn tick. I can run the hell out of this low lash solid roller cam and no lifter-tick. That in itself made this whole thing worth it.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Speedtrigger, are the heads stock?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

It seems to carry less than I would have suspected past 6500rpm as compared to the cam it replaced. Any thoughts?
Old 01-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Speedtrigger, are the heads stock?
They are PRC Stage 1 CNC LS6 heads.

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
It seems to carry less than I would have suspected past 6500rpm as compared to the cam it replaced. Any thoughts?
I was surprised to see the increase in torque and higher, earlier peak too. I think the power hangs in there nicely, it just peaked sooner than I expected too. I asked the dyno guy to send me over a graph with more smoothing to see what it looks like.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...

Originally Posted by speedtigger
They are PRC Stage 1 CNC LS6 heads.

I was surprised to see the increase in torque and higher, earlier peak too. I think the power hangs in there nicely, it just peaked sooner than I expected too. I asked the dyno guy to send me over a graph with more smoothing to see what it looks like.
Good to know on the heads, I have the exact same ones here waiting.

It makes great power, so tweaking your shift points accordingly (IIRC, you have 3.90s) to optimize to the new powerband will work out fine, IMO.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 AM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Good to know on the heads, I have the exact same ones here waiting.

It makes great power, so tweaking your shift points accordingly (IIRC, you have 3.90s) to optimize to the new powerband will work out fine, IMO.
I have really not made any adjustments yet. It has the exact same timing, jetting and shift points as the old cam so far. I hope to get back out to the track soon and experiment with the tune, shift points and launch RPM. I think it will go 10.80s @ 123.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have really not made any adjustments yet. It has the exact same timing, jetting and shift points as the old cam so far. I hope to get back out to the track soon and experiment with the tune, shift points and launch RPM. I think it will go 10.80s @ 123.
If power is any sort of indicator (), I'd imagine you are gonna be close. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

....Also, with the old hydraulic, when I had been running it hard, it would have a super annoying lifter-tick that was most notable at cruise RPMs. I put two sets of LS7 lifters in this engine and every length of pushrod known to man yet I could never get rid of that damn tick. I can run the hell out of this low lash solid roller cam and no lifter-tick. That in itself made this whole thing worth it.
I was hoping you'd cured the tick issue. I think I see a solid roller in my future
Old 01-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

These timeslips are from the first trip to the track after the cam install.

I ran a pass hot of the street when I arrived, but the track was a bit dirty from the street cars and I spun. Shortly after, they prepped the track and the car went an 11.01 but I had bumped in too deep and I was late on the 1-2 shift getting on the rev limiter. I knew at that point that I had the 10 second pass in the bag on a clean pass, so I took all the tools and misc. crap out of the car and got in line. But, as I got up the line another racer's car broke, so I had to wait . After they cleared him out I got the 10.94 pass straight away. I was so happy that, once I got out of earshot of the timer booth, I let out a whoop! The next two passes below were pretty much hot lap passes as it was getting late, but I backed it up with two more 10 second passes.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is fantastic. It was like watching a movie with a dramatic plot unfold.

Awesome times, great power and I bet that thing is fun on the street.

- Drew
Old 01-28-2015, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is so full of WIN! ;-) I don't ever plan to return to hydraulic after running a cam motion low lash solid roller and don't understand why these haven't caught on quicker. I guess car guys are slow to embrace change. ;-) Congrats on the successful conversion and on the huge gains! You will be very happy with it.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:09 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Man, damn. My wheels are turning overdrive now. I just called Geoff over at EPS...
Old 01-28-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This has opened my eyes too.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice thread with a lot of good information in it. I also like how it hangs on after 6500rpm. Looks like you could shift at 7000rpm if you wanted to and maybe you are.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

The only reason it's not more popular is purely cost. Well worth it IMO. When I build a engine it will defiantly solid roller.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:37 PM
sbf
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

congrats tigger u no i been following this car.tigger is a good guy and he helps me out all the time,he always answer ?s i have.congrats tigger i will be pm you very soon lol
Old 01-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this car ,impressive for a stock bottom end 6.0 as well.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:45 AM
Old School Heavy

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Speedtigger, I'm just now seeing this! Awesome stuff going on in here. Somehow I'll have to make mine as witty as yours
Originally Posted by Nickelndime
Awesome set up you're putting in. Looking forward to the outcome of this one!
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Congrats on going against the norm here. In for results....
Originally Posted by MYSTIC-1SC
Very nice post Speedtigger. Looking forward to the results of the upgrades!
Originally Posted by mac62989
Awesome stuff sir!
Originally Posted by 1961ba427
Subscribed. Posted a comment/question in the Neanderthal carb Guy thread to avoid cluttering this one. Everything is looking great.

Also: THANK YOU very much for the link to that PTV Calculator. That is very cool.
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Nice work, speed! I've got one of Kips SR's waiting on me to finish my car. Can't wait to see your dyno results!
Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Nice build ST! I recall you had some valvetrain noise issues with your previous setup. I assume they went away with the solid roller?
Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Look at that sexy curve. I'm envious
Originally Posted by ironmanLS1
Nice job and with a really cool car too!
Originally Posted by typedRew
This thread is fantastic. It was like watching a movie with a dramatic plot unfold.

Awesome times, great power and I bet that thing is fun on the street.

- Drew
Originally Posted by high impact
This thread is so full of WIN! ;-) I don't ever plan to return to hydraulic after running a cam motion low lash solid roller and don't understand why these haven't caught on quicker. I guess car guys are slow to embrace change. ;-) Congrats on the successful conversion and on the huge gains! You will be very happy with it.
Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Man, damn. My wheels are turning overdrive now. I just called Geoff over at EPS...
Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
This has opened my eyes too.
Originally Posted by 1989GTA
Nice thread with a lot of good information in it. I also like how it hangs on after 6500rpm. Looks like you could shift at 7000rpm if you wanted to and maybe you are.
Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
The only reason it's not more popular is purely cost. Well worth it IMO. When I build a engine it will defiantly solid roller.
Originally Posted by sbf
congrats tigger u no i been following this car.tigger is a good guy and he helps me out all the time,he always answer ?s i have.congrats tigger i will be pm you very soon lol
Originally Posted by Chevelle Rob
I love this car ,impressive for a stock bottom end 6.0 as well.
Thanx guys. I could not be more pleased with the result. I think there is even a little more in it. I am planning on running the nitrous in February looking for that 9 second pass.

Quick Reply: Cam Motion LLR Low Lash Roller Street Cam Install With Dyno & Track Results