Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd say no warranty on just cams... but full kits could be warrantied if installed by a certified vendor. Everything else is a case-by-case basis as I can see. Most weekend warriors and shadetree mechanics don't really care about warranty unless a cam lobe wipes out the entire motor - then there's an issue. But it's difficult to know why that would happen, so we are taking a huge risk doing everything anyway on our own.

We just want a quality product that won't fail if normal things are done. Not everyone does their homework, leading to bad combos, so that's why I think it'll be hard to warranty just the cam.

However, we are all a bit crazy and an upgrade program for new cams might be enticing since we all swap our combos...
Old 02-07-2015, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This enters into the proverbial "can of worms"...

As said, not everyone does the "homework"...

ASE technicians do not necessarily do the "homework", they simply install according to procedure, they assume the parts fit already (for example, won't degree a cam, won't check PTV clearance, won't check pushrod length).

How do you guarantee a cam's heat treatment...?
How do you discern whether a failed lifter wiped out the cam just ahead of the engine...?
Old 02-07-2015, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would trust most enthusiasts over an ASE cert. ASE cert means can swap the part the code told him to, has NOTHING to do with understanding the systems. Those who truly understand are out there but are the exception.

I have had guys at my local tire shop ask me about doing cam or rear gear swaps with them because they were smart enough to know what they don't know.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Go to a general machine repair shop and tell them to shave a cylinder head .025. They look at you like you've lost your mind.

Quick Reply: Cam Warranty?