Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major problem with Patriot Performance heads

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
as an "educated consumer" you should look on the boards for updates and news regarding the products you purchase. would you have done that you would have known that there was a problem with the original springs and they were replaced for free by terry. im sure you could have found plenty of time to change them out before you even started the car for the first time. and you can make your own spring tool for free.

i also dont think a broken spring is a "MAJOR PROBLEM"

im also willing to bet you didnt attempt to contact terry about the problem before posting it here and knocking their reputation as a "reputable company"
I love all you pimps trying to make this guy feel bad about making a post. What a friggen joke. He can and SHOULD post about any problems he has . If you read this board you might think there was never a problem with these heads and we all know there have been more than there fair share of problems and defintly more than any other head company. Glad to see Terry is gonna send out a new set of springs. Atleast the customer service is good.

Plus I have heard good things about there new springs

Last edited by offaxis; 05-30-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offaxis
I love all you pimps trying to make this guy feel bad about making a post. What a friggen joke. He can and SHOULD post about any problems he has . If you read this board you might think there was never a problem with these heads and we all know there have been more than there fair share of problems and defintly more than any other head company. Glad to see Terry is gonna send out a new set of springs. Atleast the customer service is good.

Plus I have heard good things about there new springs
The normal thing to do is to contact the vendor first with problems.

There have been tons of spring issues over the years long before patriot. Anyone remember Comp 941's? Non blue stripe 918's?

As you can see as soon as PP was made aware of the problem they plan to resolve it. They should have been called first imo.

Chris
Old 05-30-2004, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris ARE 360
The normal thing to do is to contact the vendor first with problems.

There have been tons of spring issues over the years long before patriot. Anyone remember Comp 941's? Non blue stripe 918's?

As you can see as soon as PP was made aware of the problem they plan to resolve it. They should have been called first imo.

Chris

Chris

He didnt say the heads suck. He was just posting a personal experience not an attack. If someone has a problem it should be posted and then there should be a follow up post with how it was handled by the vendor. Its good to share any experiences you have had good or bad. Im sure alot of people like the way Terry jumped in and said he will take care of everything and people see his customer service. IMO its win win
Old 05-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks TVWilkes for the replacement springs. I will call tuesday. I was suprised to say the least about the broken valve spring. I did measure the clearance for binding and found none prior to initial start up.
I was aware about valve seal problems, but as someone posted on "the other board" I frequent, the older style PP springs were in question. I discovered this after we found the spring. Had I been aware proir, I would have changed them before.
To those of you who frequent this board. I like LS1tech for its tech info.
In either case, if Patriot Performance stands behind thier products (so far so good), then I see nothing wrong with posting what my experience, be it good or bad is. I was going to go with one of the other heads, but my main reason for PP was twofold. One, I wanted to keep my original heads in case I ever wanted to return the car to stock and two I wanted to keep my 98 style heads, and most other heads were 99+ castings. And the price was excellent too.
Thanks for standing behind your product. Talk to you tuesday.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I was saying is its been covered before...some dont realize it but some of the aftermarket springs interfere with stock rockers http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?ca...1cadeeed6dde21 his post was Major problem with Patriot Performance heads and its like here we go again another problem? Then 8000 hits later it turns out its something stupid.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Fluffy, why are jumping all over this guy? You sympathize but then you get all sarcastic? So it's Red's fault for not having done his homework not Patriot's, huh? So aside from the valve, the spring and the seal issues when these heads were first introduced (and many months after) at such a great price to the LS1 community, Patriots are great heads? Yeah great heads, well at least the castings were great. LOL

I see you're looking for gears now. Guess the tuning issue's all fixed. So when are we racing? Or did you forget. LOL
as for our race smurfy its still on...i should have my chunk here this week but I still dont have the gears & im not installing it so thats another $200-$300 that i dont have. I'll be bringing my car back over to cartek the week of the 14th so your talkin at least the middle or end of that week IF everything gets straitened out...otherwise i may just jump off a bridge er something. I probably shouldve just raced you before the heads/cam/tuning I think I wouldve had a better chance then at least the car would come out of the hole hehe.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
as for our race smurfy its still on...i should have my chunk here this week but I still dont have the gears & im not installing it so thats another $200-$300 that i dont have. I'll be bringing my car back over to cartek the week of the 14th so your talkin at least the middle or end of that week IF everything gets straitened out...otherwise i may just jump off a bridge er something. I probably shouldve just raced you before the heads/cam/tuning I think I wouldve had a better chance then at least the car would come out of the hole hehe.

You guys are great!! This will be going on for the next year +

Atleast there is no backing down!!!
Old 05-30-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
All I was saying is its been covered before...some dont realize it but some of the aftermarket springs interfere with stock rockers http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?ca...1cadeeed6dde21 his post was Major problem with Patriot Performance heads and its like here we go again another problem? Then 8000 hits later it turns out its something stupid.

Originally Posted by Red SS Barchetta
I purchased the heads and parts last fall (probably around October). It was my winter project on weekends to do the swap. I finished in March and first drove the car in April.
I guess it's all in the timing ...

If he had bought the parts recently, then jumping the guy's *** for lack of research would be warranted. But the parts were purchased 7 months ago.

Was this a "known" issue last September when he was doing his research?

How many vendors would warranty performance parts 6 months after purchase, no questions asked?
Old 05-30-2004, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mitchntx
How many vendors would warranty performance parts 6 months after purchase, no questions asked?
IF it is a known problem like this one where the springs were faulty I would hope every vendor would. Ofcourse we all know that might not be the case.
Old 05-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Banned

Yeah Fluffy, you should've raced me before the H/C cause now my $hit is flying kid. 12.0s at 114+. LOL

Don't mind me folks, just doin a lil flexin on my boy Fluffy. BIG PAPA PUMP style. LOL Wait, I'm gonna take the wind out of your sails Fluffy before you get any bright ideas. BIG PAPA SMURF style. Beat ya to it. LOL
Old 05-30-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned

why didn't you call patriot before posting?
Old 05-30-2004, 09:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Yeah Fluffy, you should've raced me before the H/C cause now my $hit is flying kid. 12.0s at 114+. LOL

Don't mind me folks, just doin a lil flexin on my boy Fluffy. BIG PAPA PUMP style. LOL Wait, I'm gonna take the wind out of your sails Fluffy before you get any bright ideas. BIG PAPA SMURF style. Beat ya to it. LOL
yah that 400hp combo is really killin em at the track your one of the first 400hp 12 second fbodies I know
Old 05-30-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its funny you guys bash everyone who doesnt have or dislikes patriot heads. Its even funnier how you bash anyone who has patriot heads and is either unhappy or had problems. You should be helping and guiding him instead of making him feel he shouldnt post here. If I see a post thats negative towards any sponsors that I support I contact that sponsor to alert him of the post and either try to help the person out myself or have the sponsor call them. You guys are only making Patriot look bad by acting defensive in their behalf.

Red SS barchetta good luck in getting your car fixed. Its too bad that people who bought these heads werent contacted about the problem. Atleast Terry is going to replace your springs and retainers. If I were you I would see if he would send you a new set of seals too. It seems he has switched to viton seals instead of the teflon seals you have now, due to oil consumption.
Old 05-30-2004, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

stop knockin on red whens the last time you called nike to make sure your shoes weren't going to blow up?

red=

it's a good ting your doing terry
"GETTRR DOONNEE!!!!"
Old 05-30-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mike m
Its funny you guys bash everyone who doesnt have or dislikes patriot heads. Its even funnier how you bash anyone who has patriot heads and is either unhappy or had problems. You should be helping and guiding him instead of making him feel he shouldnt post here. If I see a post thats negative towards any sponsors that I support I contact that sponsor to alert him of the post and either try to help the person out myself or have the sponsor call them. You guys are only making Patriot look bad by acting defensive in their behalf.

Red SS barchetta good luck in getting your car fixed. Its too bad that people who bought these heads werent contacted about the problem. Atleast Terry is going to replace your springs and retainers. If I were you I would see if he would send you a new set of seals too. It seems he has switched to viton seals instead of the teflon seals you have now, due to oil consumption.
Mike,
I was going to include a complete spring upgrade.This includes springs,retainers,seat bases and seals.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:21 AM
Banned

LOL Fluffy, it's still a whole hell of alot faster than some of those 370 hp Camaros out there.

And believe it or not, it's faster than a local high 12 sec 392 hp A4 Camaro (scary ain't it LOL) and it whipped up on a 403 hp + 75 shot M6 Camaro with DRs at the track. Matter of fact, I haven't been beat yet at the track or on the street by an LS1 powered Fbody, and mind you I don't pick my races. I'll line up with a top fuel funny car with a Fbody shell if it's in the other lane. Win or lose, I don't care. Even spanked an 02 Z06 aswell as an 03 Porsche twin turbo on the highway.

Not too shabby for a 12.0 car that: doesn't go into open loop at WOT, never sees more than 15* of timing, has a DOA knock sensor, has 2 DOA O2 sensors, needs new plugs, shifts at 6100-6200 and still has TQ management. Am I missing something? Oh yeah, weighs 3550 lbs, has a so so tune and is coming up on 93000 miles, Phew, I think I'm all out of excuses. LOL

And I'm sure when I get it down to 3350 lbs (riiiiggggghhhht lol) and fix all those other issues, 11.8s should be no problem. LOL

But the best part, my lil slug pops a 3" wheelie.

Just so I'm not accused of stealing this thread, good luck Red. I'm sure Patriot will remedy the situation as promised.

Last edited by SilverSurfer; 05-31-2004 at 03:03 AM.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
Mike,
I was going to include a complete spring upgrade.This includes springs,retainers,seat bases and seals.
Thats cool.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Teching In

I just wanted to update everyone on the situation since my first post. My intention was not to badmouth Patriot Performance, but I was a bit disgusted with less than 200 miles of use and a broken valve spring.
I have spoken with Terry at PP. I explained my situation and that I needed to get the parts ASAP and he offered to send them to me overnight at his expense. I have a dyno tune scheduled for friday, and hopefully I'll have the parts by thursday.....
Now I just have to hope I don't drop a valve in the motor
Anyways, Terry, thanks for your efforts. I will let everyone know on the other board when I get the car up and running!!
Old 06-01-2004, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red SS Barchetta
I just wanted to update everyone on the situation since my first post. My intention was not to badmouth Patriot Performance, but I was a bit disgusted with less than 200 miles of use and a broken valve spring.
I have spoken with Terry at PP. I explained my situation and that I needed to get the parts ASAP and he offered to send them to me overnight at his expense. I have a dyno tune scheduled for friday, and hopefully I'll have the parts by thursday.....
Now I just have to hope I don't drop a valve in the motor
Anyways, Terry, thanks for your efforts. I will let everyone know on the other board when I get the car up and running!!
I had a few problems with a set Patriot Performance heads, and Terry did step up to the plate and made good for the problems I was having, and Texas Speed also assisted in getting things right. It's really a PITA, but when you start swapping heads, etc., you will have some bumps in the road.

The key point is that when a problem is encountered- does it get rectified without unnecessary finger-pointing and ***-covering tactics, or does the problem get addressed? Terry seemed to want to do the right thing- at least that's my take on it.

What troubles me even more was the "my heads flow 305" when, in reality, they really flow "285ish" and then you're scratching your head wondering (and thinking) that you have Stage 2 heads when they are really barely better than stock. You then don't know WHY you are "down" on power.. when you actually are getting what the heads are capable of.

Will the advent of AFR's new CNC heads be the equivalent of the mammals eating the "hand-ported" dinosaurs eggs- forcing them into extinction?

Who knows... but I hope so.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mrb00formula
Will the advent of AFR's new CNC heads be the equivalent of the mammals eating the "hand-ported" dinosaurs eggs- forcing them into extinction?

Who knows... but I hope so.
Well let's pick this point up in let's say "2 years" from now!! LOL

That is one more year to get the AFRs on the market, and another to find out how much it's a flop, like the LSX.