Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cam is in, biggest cam ever in a stock bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You got the thumbs down from me because of the "i've got the biggest cam in a stock bottom end". Since you seem to be a self proclaimed cam guru, you should know that cam won't be for **** in that application. Poor driveability, poor low-end torque, no power under curve, wheres the thought behind it? If you put the cam in there just for the hell of it, that's one thing, but if you actually thought you were going to write a new page in LS-1 time and dyno books, I think you'll be mistaken. It should work ok in a 385, but is still a bit big for that application also, unless you are trying to combat for poor flowing heads. I may not be a super cam guru, but I've been to school many times. But just for the hell of it, rev it to the moon and tell us how it does.
Intimidated?.... Far from it.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That duration is huge. How did you manage to not fly cut your pistons.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:31 PM
FormerVendor

Vlave events and he said the valves were set back in the head
Old 05-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
You got the thumbs down from me because of the "i've got the biggest cam in a stock bottom end". Since you seem to be a self proclaimed cam guru, you should know that cam won't be for **** in that application. Poor driveability, poor low-end torque, no power under curve, wheres the thought behind it? If you put the cam in there just for the hell of it, that's one thing, but if you actually thought you were going to write a new page in LS-1 time and dyno books, I think you'll be mistaken. It should work ok in a 385, but is still a bit big for that application also, unless you are trying to combat for poor flowing heads. I may not be a super cam guru, but I've been to school many times. But just for the hell of it, rev it to the moon and tell us how it does.
Intimidated?.... Far from it.
Hmmm...so I guess you won't mind telling me all about cams then? Or maybe we should just run and that'll decide? Maybe I'll put something bigger than 100 jets in this time, either way, this setup WILL go 9's on a stock bottom.

As for power under the curve and all that BS, my N20 runs shifting at 6800 never saw anything below 5500rpm on spray, so now I'd imagine with the 200 jets in and shifting at 7200 I'll never see anything below 6000 during a pass. But, I guess you know all and I'll have to tell my car to slow down and start driving like crap because you said so.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Go run it at the track, and stop dicking around. What did it dyno?

Josh
Old 05-30-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
im a 99' no lesss . no offense dude but it seems like you didnt do any applicable research. what good is the biggests cam on a stock bottom end if you pull a Sly.
Why, are 99's any different than any other year??
Old 05-31-2004, 12:04 AM
FormerVendor

weaker rod bolts than the 01-02 model years
Old 05-31-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm not trying to bust up your parade man. If your building an all out track car, then so be it. Maybe you should inlighten us a little on your set-up, then maybe I/we may not be so hard on your decision. If you plan on your car only living above 5500+, then it'll probablly scream, but for the average joe, they'll see this post and believe that their street car can do the same. As far as power under the curve being BS, I guess it depends on your curve. No one ever said I knew all, and I most certainlly don't think I do, but I know enough to hold my own. My set-up is being built now, and it'll play it's part on the street and the strip. I just don't want people with less knowledge thinking they can have the coolest set-up because they have the biggest cam out there. You and I both know this thing wouldn't be very nice in a SBE street car. Either way, get it to the strip, where it is supposed to be, and tell us how it does. 7300 rpm's and a 200 shot on a SBE, I hope the 385 is ready to be transplanted.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

I love how kids claim "power under the curve" this and that. As far as ET's are concerned, ESPECIALLY WITH NITROUS INVOLVED, You can make a million foot pounds at 3000, even 4000 RPM and I'll make 700rwhp and walk you like a dog.

Last time I checked every professional drag racing class they revved really high for a reason. Power is power, do the math you claim to be so good at.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, 7300 on stock bottom end. i thought i was brave going to 7200 limiter with my cam.

so the 01-02 have stronger rod bolts? we shall see.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by masterdill
I love how kids claim "power under the curve" this and that. As far as ET's are concerned, ESPECIALLY WITH NITROUS INVOLVED, You can make a million foot pounds at 3000, even 4000 RPM and I'll make 700rwhp and walk you like a dog.

Last time I checked every professional drag racing class they revved really high for a reason. Power is power, do the math you claim to be so good at.
Every kid huh? Well, I love how every old fart rolls out and thinks they know all because they used to own this or that. For one, your not talking to a kid. Number 2, I know enough to tell you that the set-up will work for what he has now stated that he want to do with the car. 200 shot and never dropping below 5500+ rpms, I think he'll be fine. Maybe if his opening post would've read,"biggest cam in a stock bottom end that lives above 5500 rpms and will have a 200 shot on top of that", then maybe I wouldn't have come out with guns blazin. It sounded more to me like a "I've got the biggest cam ever" and "I'm cool" post to me. That's why I reacted like I did. You guys shouldn't take offense because someone posts constructive criticism. I never intended to bash, just stated the obvious. Yet some still venture out to tell me that I know nothing. You guys aren't the only people in the world with a brain. Other people know things also. In most cases, prolly more than you and me both.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

what an awesome post!!! what did it dyno? what did it run? what did it trap (mph) ?

super super interested. I would always wanna know how fast a stock ls1 could go with just a cam as far as internal mods (although it might be far from what I or a majority of typical Joe's would go for) it would still be cool as hell to know how fast it would go. I would of still sold the block before i knew it would break apart (at least now that it has been proven lol). Now I see why some have gave you the thumbs down (bad decision totally unnecessary CO$T wise), but hey if u got the money who cares! I gotta admit im so damn interested to know what it put down. Please find out before you destroy it . You might as well show off how much GUTS the LS1 block has

Keep us updated fo sho

awesome post!

Damn would it put down like 470rwhp on stock heads (or possibly even more) on only cam internal mods?

Last edited by 2002_TAWS6; 05-31-2004 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

WOOOHOOO I want pics of this one.....that is of the millions of pieces you'll find in your oil pan and scattered throughout your engine similar to mine. Not bashing ya I just want to see the pics after it blows because I can guarantee you it will with a 200 shot and revving to 7300rpm's it's just a matter of time, as long as your okay with it blowing up thats cool just post up some pics

-Sly
Old 05-31-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, this is definitely interesting!
Beyond all of the hurt feelings there is certainly some good info/knowledge here.

I'm interested because I just put a 236/244 .559/.559 112 in my car with home ported heads and all and have been hearing soo much about people like myself "overcamming" cars just because they want bigger cams and/or numbers.

I had the TR224 (old style w/ .561 lift) in the car before and loved it. But after spinning a bearing and then doing a "budget" rebuild including strengthening the bottom end, porting the heads plus milling .030", larger valve seats (2.02/1.575) with 3AVJ, & LS6 intake etc... the car runs pretty damn mean on the same tune (but needs work)

I cannot wait 'til Thursady to have it tuned at Speed Inc. and see exactly how everything is working together.

I also see a trend (all over this forum) in arguing between dyno and track numbers. That's all fine with me but a dyno does measure true power produced, and the track measures power and traction... correct! Of course I want decent dyno numbers and decent track times. But, the way my car is set-up (suspension) traction can/will always be an issue for me so I'll take what I can get...

Troy
P.S. I forgot to mention That is a HUGE cam!
Old 05-31-2004, 12:01 PM
Launching!

dude god bless and enjoy... you've done your homework and have a shortblock ready to go, so don't listen to all these people who are either just jealous/scared/ or tryin to sound smart....

you admitted yourself the car has nothin under 4k rpm so why do you need all these people "teaching" you about area under the curve...

enjoy her!! any chances of gettin it to the track soon?
Old 05-31-2004, 12:28 PM
12 Second Club

Hell yes! A ***** out cammer. Break your foot off on that gas pedal and tell us how she does.
Old 05-31-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gaga
dude god bless and enjoy... you've done your homework and have a shortblock ready to go, so don't listen to all these people who are either just jealous/scared/ or tryin to sound smart....

you admitted yourself the car has nothin under 4k rpm so why do you need all these people "teaching" you about area under the curve...

enjoy her!! any chances of gettin it to the track soon?
Never tried to teach him anything. Just tried to make the point to some who don't know any better that this wouldn't work in a daily driven application. Although I'm jealous of a big cam, scared of his car, and an all out fuktard, who would listen to me? Some never cease to amaze me.....
Old 05-31-2004, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

get some numbers
Old 05-31-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think many of you who are arguing that a cam of this size would be unbearable in a daily driver have very little or no experience with a large cam in an LS1. Obviously, this cam wouldn't make for a wonderful daily driver, especially when compared to a smaller cam. That said, I think there are many people on this board who would find that a large cam (240+ duration) doesn't necessarily equate to poor driveability. With a good tune and a small step-up in gear ratio, I see no reason why this cam would be unbearable to drive every day. Pleasant? Perhaps not. Bearable? Most certainly.

Remember when folks would've said the G5X-2 or 3 would be unbearable in a daily driver? Now there are a number of people doing it.

Josh
Old 05-31-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Veteran

240+ cam here.

Quick Reply: New cam is in, biggest cam ever in a stock bottom end?