Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Felpro 1160 gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Felpro 1160 gaskets

Just curious if anyone has ran these gaskets and had good luck? I'm interested because they give me enough of a bump in compression on my 799's to make me rethink milling them.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Never use the head gasket to adjust compression. The small amount of compression gain you get isn't worth it.

Use the gasket to set your quench. The perfect quench would be about .040". Some people run a little tighter, closer to 0.035". But then you're risking piston to head contact at high rpm's. Too much quench is a sure fire recipe for detonation and inefficiency.

Not sure what engine you have, but a stock LS1 has a piston height of about 0.010". That gasket has a compressed height of 0.053"; which would give you a quench of about 0.043". Pretty close to perfect.

Measure the compression height of each piston, and then choose a gasket that gives you the right quench distance at the tallest piston.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have room to use a thinner gasket to raise compression it is much more effective than milling since you are reducing full bore volume not just chamber volume.

.04" quench is PLENTY especially with an aluminum block that will grow more than the iron connecting rod. Gen 1/2 motors go under .035 sometimes all iron so the growth at temperature is less.

If you follow the solid roller cam discussions guys say the lash grows about .007 with aluminum block and heads and .004-.005 with an iron block.

For a detailed discussion on quench rpm and bearing clearance should be discussed but presuming a stock shortblock you aren't going to be pushing any limits.

The number .bob threw out of .010 is more than typical and the .040 minimum quench number he threw out is bigger than necessary.

Using the thinner gasket sounds like a great idea.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have stated it more clearly. I understand that I should really look at gaskets as a matter of adjusting quench, but I was playing around with the numbers and it would put me close to optimal with my setup. I was more interested in the quality of the felpro gaskets themselves. In searching I haven't found much mention of them at all other than a few discussions of the 1040's.

Quick Reply: Felpro 1160 gaskets