Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMS 220 heads....Info, Pics, and discussion inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015 | 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
So with that stainless rail Tony sells, that's the only thing you need aside from the intake and TB?
I think so. It comes with oversized lower O-rings to match the injector port size of the 102. Tony said I'd have to swap the lower O-rings, but the upper ones where the injectors connect to the rail would be fine, since they are only a month or so old.
Old 07-13-2015 | 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I think so. It comes with oversized lower O-rings to match the injector port size of the 102. Tony said I'd have to swap the lower O-rings, but the upper ones where the injectors connect to the rail would be fine, since they are only a month or so old.
Darth's injectors will work perfect for the 102 set-up.....no adapters or extensions required.....nice clean install that looks totally OEM. He just has to swap in the fatter O-rings in the lower part of the injector (the part that goes in the FAST base), and he is good to go. Those O-rings actually come with the FAST intake so don't cost the end user anything additional.

That and the stainless rail kit which is plug and play (and the new 102 TB of course) and he's good to go.

I'm excited about this build....I think the dyno he usually rolls on is on is a bit on the stingy side (the tuner agrees) with a ported/cleaned up factory casting, decent size cam, and 1 7/8 long tubes coming in around 370 RWHP now, but I'm more looking at net gains which we all know is the only thing that really matters. You can roll 30 more ponies on a different dyno a town over and not picked up a thing besides a sexier looking print out for your glovebox.

Im pretty sure his current combo would roll closer to 400 on an "average" reading dyno but net gains are what we are after here. His clutch is costing him some power (its 3-4 lbs heavier than stock) and the Y-pipe deal with an FBody is always an issue when your trying for 450+, but I'm pretty sure the results of this round of mods we are working on will be significant and he can always nickel and dime the rest of the mods later that might better support a number closer to the elusive 500 mark (a good dual exhaust and a lighter clutch/flywheel assembly are easily 25 RWHP on this combo).

Regarding Terry's combo (the banana in the tailpipe....LOL), I have his 90mm LS2 TB ported and ready to roll and his 92 mm FAST is on my bench as I'm typing this.....that is going to be really interesting also to see the results of round two.

Cool stuff right around the corner as numerous builds slowly come together....the better ones always take more time

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 07-14-2015 | 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I'm taking the plunge:

MMS 220 heads - Mamofied
Keeping the cam I have - 227/236 112+3
Fast 102/102 - Also Mamofied
Johnson 2116 short travel lifters
YT rockers
11/32 thick walled rods
Maziere WP
ATI pulley
Stock 346 displacement

Rest of the car's details:

1999 trans am
1-7/8 x 32" x 3" LT headers
3" Y-pipe and catback
Stock rear gearing
Bunch of suspension upgrades
39 pound injectors

I guess right now, I sort of have the banana in the intake with the BBK intake and the ported stock throttle body

I know that I'll still have some power on the table, so down the road, I could go duals or go to a lighter twin disc clutch and flywheel. Free up a few ponies.

As parts come in and build progresses, I'll keep updating the thread.
Did you opt for the 10mm rocker upgrade?

I'm also curious on the fuel rail Tony supplies.. I was thinking running the 102 would cost an extra 200 for the fuel rails and then an extra 100 for the LS2 water pump -- which is why I was leaning towards going with the 92.

I'm about 3 months out from affording this setup... unless anyone needs a kidney now?! Pretty sure I only need one of those....
Old 07-14-2015 | 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't believe the LS2 water pump is needed to run the FAST 102.
Old 07-14-2015 | 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 5_litre_eater
Did you opt for the 10mm rocker upgrade?

I'm also curious on the fuel rail Tony supplies.. I was thinking running the 102 would cost an extra 200 for the fuel rails and then an extra 100 for the LS2 water pump -- which is why I was leaning towards going with the 92.

I'm about 3 months out from affording this setup... unless anyone needs a kidney now?! Pretty sure I only need one of those....
I did the 10mm upgrade. I'm using the maziere pump, so no fitment issues for me. I'm pretty much swinging for the fence on this one. I want to see what these heads can do on a moderate cam and not much to hold it back.

The maziere in my mind won't free up much, but it will allow the engine to cool much better.
Old 07-14-2015 | 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

VERY minor work required for the fast and water pump. No need for a new one if yours is fine.

The ewp are good for drag racing and sitting in traffic. Road racing and normal driving will see more flow with the stock pump. Even the 50gal one is out flowed by the stock pump higher in the rpm band. The biggest issue is the stock ls1 pump has uneven bank to bank flow at high rpm.

I did not opt for the 10mm. Already had a yt set. Did go for the light Manley intake valves though. Just waiting on news from Tony!
Old 07-14-2015 | 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I did the 10mm upgrade. I'm using the maziere pump, so no fitment issues for me. I'm pretty much swinging for the fence on this one. I want to see what these heads can do on a moderate cam and not much to hold it back.

The maziere in my mind won't free up much, but it will allow the engine to cool much better.
Meziere is going to need a little big of work to clear lol. The tb cam will contact the wp a bit but the intake clears fine. I just filed down the bottom of the tb cam and it was fine. brand doesnt matter both the fast and nw needed it.

I have to say the meziere is a good upgrade imo. Not a whole lot of people road race and I def had an improvement with mine on the dyno. I'll take lower temps in traffic, free hp and cooling the engine quick at the track any day over not being able to let the motor sit at 6k for minutes on end.
Old 07-14-2015 | 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by redbird555
Meziere is going to need a little big of work to clear lol. The tb cam will contact the wp a bit but the intake clears fine. I just filed down the bottom of the tb cam and it was fine. brand doesnt matter both the fast and nw needed it.

I have to say the meziere is a good upgrade imo. Not a whole lot of people road race and I def had an improvement with mine on the dyno. I'll take lower temps in traffic, free hp and cooling the engine quick at the track any day over not being able to let the motor sit at 6k for minutes on end.
Thanks for the heads up! Honestly, what sold me on it is the cooling while the car sits still. In 115+ Phoenix heat!
Old 07-14-2015 | 06:21 PM
Launching!

Default Venom II came today

Got the Halltech Venom II today, so I'm just waiting on the headers, intake and throttle body. Surprisingly, I don't notice much difference in engine noise. I was expecting a giant suction sound but the motor sounds about the same and that's a good thing. Can't really tell a seat of the pants difference in power but that's sure to change once the headers are installed. I'm hoping the headers arrive and I have a chance to get them installed before I get the intake from Tony - that way I can get a feel for the car before I make the other changes. This puppy's coming together and I'm excited.
Old 07-14-2015 | 06:25 PM

FWIW, when I put long tube headers no my T/A, my first impression was "this feels about like it did before". Then, I realized something the next morning. I had been driving with the AC belt removed prior to the headers. I had reinstalled the AC belt when I put everything back together from the header install AND my AC was on, meaning the AC compressor was running.

So, to me the long tubes were equal in power to the difference between the AC running and the AC belt removed.
Old 07-14-2015 | 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

FWIW, when I put long tube headers no my T/A, my first impression was "this feels about like it did before". Then, I realized something the next morning. I had been driving with the AC belt removed prior to the headers. I had reinstalled the AC belt when I put everything back together from the header install AND my AC was on, meaning the AC compressor was running.

So, to me the long tubes were equal in power to the difference between the AC running and the AC belt removed.
The AC compressor kicks off on wot so you were just spinning the pulley and he will see a much larger gain from the long tubes with aftermarket heads and a larger cam than you would with stock heads and cam.
Old 07-14-2015 | 10:43 PM

True, but my first drive was late at night doing normal driving, low to mid rpms. I didn't go WOT for a couple of days because I was listening for exhaust leaks.
Old 07-14-2015 | 11:57 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by unit
Got the Halltech Venom II today, so I'm just waiting on the headers, intake and throttle body. Surprisingly, I don't notice much difference in engine noise. I was expecting a giant suction sound but the motor sounds about the same and that's a good thing. Can't really tell a seat of the pants difference in power but that's sure to change once the headers are installed. I'm hoping the headers arrive and I have a chance to get them installed before I get the intake from Tony - that way I can get a feel for the car before I make the other changes. This puppy's coming together and I'm excited.
Terry....please refrain from much (any) WOT as you install the rest of your new mods.....you NEED to adjust the tune to accommodate all the added airflow these parts help bring to the table. You take the chance of leaning out the engine if you decide to go WOT without the proper tune. It may even feel slower after the header install cause the fueling will be off without a doubt (very lean).

Suck it up and wait for everything to be installed.....then take it back to the tuner and get it on the dyno. After the new package is optimized on the dyno then you can go have some fun on the street....not only will it feel a bunch faster at that point but your not taking the chance of leaning out and hurting the engine.

Your intake/TB will be in the mail next Monday.....guessing its in OH that following Thursday....Friday at the latest so get that appt booked with the tuner ahead of time!

-Tony

PS....If possible I would like to speak with the tuner briefly the day he is tuning it before he is finished....I may be able to shortcut the road to his success getting the most from the new combo with some suggestions on timing and fueling at various WOT RPM.

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 07-15-2015 | 08:04 AM
Launching!

That won't be a problem. I'll stop driving the car and start removing the exhaust system over the weekend. If the headers come about the same time as the intake, I should be ready to take it to the tuner by the end of the month. I'll make the appointment with the tuner as soon as I have all of the parts. The tuner's a nice guy, I'm sure he'd be glad to give you a call. Don't forget to ship the injectors with the other items.
Old 07-15-2015 | 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Does anyone have a link to Tony's stainless rail?
Old 07-16-2015 | 12:54 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Does anyone have a link to Tony's stainless rail?
Its the FAST OEM style stainless rail.....not their billet rail design

Hope this helps!

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Old 07-17-2015 | 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Tony is it possible to run MAST black label fuel rails and Siemens 80lb injectors on a FAST 102? That's what I currently have on my FAST 92. And really do not want to change much around as I have a complete fuel system plumbed a certain way with it. I would like to be able to just use spacers or whatever to make the rails work with the 102.
Old 07-17-2015 | 08:19 PM
Super Hulk Smash

You can run the Siemens 80lbs with the stock LS2 rail on the FAST 102. Stock rail is good for quite a bit of power.

You just have to buy the 48mm length... I think Siemens markets them as short length. You'd need to run the EV1 to EV6 adapter tho.
Old 07-17-2015 | 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
You can run the Siemens 80lbs with the stock LS2 rail on the FAST 102. Stock rail is good for quite a bit of power.

You just have to buy the 48mm length... I think Siemens markets them as short length. You'd need to run the EV1 to EV6 adapter tho.
Not running the stock rails as I don't have the stock fuel lines anymore. I have a nasty n8 fuel system. -8 feed and -6 return and a aeromotive FPR. So I am trying to keep all that without changing too much.
Old 07-18-2015 | 04:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Not running the stock rails as I don't have the stock fuel lines anymore. I have a nasty n8 fuel system. -8 feed and -6 return and a aeromotive FPR. So I am trying to keep all that without changing too much.
I'm pretty sure that will swap right over.....you just may need to install the fatter O-rings on the lower part of the injector (supplied by FAST in the 102 kit).

-Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Quick Reply: MMS 220 heads....Info, Pics, and discussion inside