Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMS 220 heads....Info, Pics, and discussion inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015 | 06:12 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Tony, I'm thinking you need a 500+ car in here to really kick the hornets nest... Would you sponsor me?
Old 08-24-2015 | 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by unit
Just got home. 412 Max HP and 384 Max Torque. Proxses Tuning in Centerville Ohio did an outstanding job. Car runs great and pulls hard and any RPM - I'm very happy with it. It's exactly what I wanted. I posted a couple of pics, car on the rollers and the Dyno Report. I know some of you are waiting so I won't say any more right now.
Good Job looks like you picked up 56 RWHP & 48lbft from the MAMOFIED
FAST 92/LS2TB & LTs, exceeded my predictions of 50+ RWHP & 30-40 lb ft!
I made in Post #115
Car must drive awesome!
Old 08-24-2015 | 06:56 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys. This car does drive awesome - took my wife for a spin and couldn't get the smile off of her face either. To say she was amazed is an understatement.
Old 08-24-2015 | 07:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Tony, I'm thinking you need a 500+ car in here to really kick the hornets nest... Would you sponsor me?
Darth V8r already has it.....its some slight tune tweaking, a clutch, and a dual exhaust away.....LOL

=)

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 08-24-2015 | 07:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Good question....

I've hit this topic on the different forums and its usually received with mixed reactions because it goes against the grain of what most people have read (or no reactions....Im the post closer occasionally....LOL)

Everyone (the "Internet") says good heads don't matter on a blower/boosted combo "because air is forced in".....how many times have you guys seen that regurgitated.

Its BS....in fact I could argue just the opposite and that it matters more. The principles of an N/A and boosted engine are very similar.....in fact air is also "forced in" with a normally aspirated combo but it only has the force/weight of one atmosphere pushing on it.

And that leads me to the opportunity to blow up another Internet misnomer which is "N/A engines suck the air in and its forced in with a supercharger". NOPE....both are forced in but if your running 10 pounds of boost the air is forced in with that much additional force).

The other dynamic in favor of a good head in this argument (and why it pays you dividends potentially over and above an N/A application) is while you can certainly cram more air in with a supercharger, turbo, etc., your exhaust port doesn't really get a helping hand so a head with a really good efficient high flowing exhaust is going to really help bump the output and compound the gains of your really good efficient intake port.

In summary, a forced induction engine places a higher demand on your cylinder heads than a normally aspirated engine simply due to the fact your trying to move more air in and more air out of the engine with the help of the supercharger. A head that's less efficient will show higher boost (simply a measure of restriction) and less power....a head that's more efficient will show less boost and more power (better!).....and if you pulley up to the same boost the less efficient head was making (assuming you can), you would have more power yet from the compounding I'm discussing....Win-win

While this was way out in left field (at least in my 220 thread).....it makes for an interesting topic and one I dont mind clarifying in an effort to help people view this deal in a different light. When the smoke clears....a bad azz set of heads is always going to be the driving force behind the combination.....N/A or boosted....and I often refer to them as "the star of the show" and the cornerstone of every build....with every other component playing a supporting role (the cam coming in a close second.....LOL).

All helping to make it alot more fun doing this!

Cheers,
Tony
Hey Tony, I dug up my old dyno sheet with 222-226 baby cam, 205's untouched and your ported FAST 90 setup. At 11.4 psi I've never seen a centri unit (Vortech "baby" S-Trim) put down 640 rwtq at only 708 rwhp. Stock bottom LS1 with torque that close to horsepower I believe was achieved mainly due to the efficient heads in my boosted application. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 08-24-2015 | 09:57 PM
TECH Regular

Default MMS 220 heads....Info, Pics, and discussion inside

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
Darth V8r already has it.....its some slight tune tweaking, a clutch, and a dual exhaust away.....LOL

=)
Oh trust me,there is another on the way... 😎
Old 08-27-2015 | 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. This car does drive awesome - took my wife for a spin and couldn't get the smile off of her face either. To say she was amazed is an understatement.
What stall converter are you running? I will be doing a similar set up soon, and am curious what to run (I also have an A4).

Also, a question for Tony.

The difference between running a ported FAST 92 VS ported 102 --??

The reason I'm considering the 92 is the stock fuel rails and injectors would fit, and from what I've read, it fits the car a little better (no worries of water pump clearance issues, etc).

I'd like to run the car through a few heat cycles before I get it dyno tuned, and with the 36b injectors, I wouldn't be able to start the car. I also want to make sure the car starts and has no leaks before I take it to get tuned.... Not that I know the car will even stay running with the SD tune it has now...

Thoughts?
Old 08-27-2015 | 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to get a set to run on my turbo 347. Tony I will shoot you an email
Old 09-04-2015 | 04:06 PM
Launching!

I've been driving the car now for a little over a week and I'm getting a lot of positive comments. Pulled into O'Reilly Autoparts the other day and two employees were out front taking a break and one asked: "That sounds sweet - what's in it". At the tire shop today and one of the techs said: "Your car sounds great - I love it". If driving the car doesn't put a grin on your face, these comments sure will! Thanks Tony!
Old 09-04-2015 | 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

I've been driving the car now for a little over a week and I'm getting a lot of positive comments. Pulled into O'Reilly Autoparts the other day and two employees were out front taking a break and one asked: "That sounds sweet - what's in it". At the tire shop today and one of the techs said: "Your car sounds great - I love it". If driving the car doesn't put a grin on your face, these comments sure will! Thanks Tony!
I'm counting the days
Old 09-04-2015 | 07:41 PM

Have you encountered the disbelief that it's only a 5.7? That's my favorite reaction.
Old 09-04-2015 | 07:48 PM
Launching!

No, I haven't. I just tell them it's been modified a wee bit!
Old 09-05-2015 | 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No, I haven't. I just tell them it's been modified a wee bit!
What stall are you running with your mamofied setup?
Old 09-05-2015 | 09:53 AM
Launching!

I'm still using the OEM converter. The cam is mild and I haven't seen the need to change to a higher stall. I may consider one if the trans goes because of the extra power. Some have said the trans could hold up for quite a long time and others say to save for a rebuild. We'll see!

Last edited by unit; 09-05-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 09-05-2015 | 11:10 AM

Your tuner might be able to set some settings to soften shifting a bit and help extend the life.
Old 09-07-2015 | 02:26 PM
Launching!

That's a good idea Darth but I really like the way this is shift now. If it goes out, I'll deal with it then.
Old 09-28-2015 | 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

C'mon Tax time
Old 11-09-2015 | 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just thought I'd mention, I got back from a business trip and am finally able to tune the car.

Previous setup was:
PRC 5.3L 2.5
SBE
.051" HG
.043" Quench
TSP 228r 114+4
FAST102/102
419whp/370rwtq (soggy *** bottom end)
26* peak timing 99% on the VE. 1* buffer from knock. Saw a little retard at 28*.

Current:
SBE
Mamofied 220's
11.56SCR
8.96DCR
.040" HG
.033" Quench
225/227 114+4
LS2 intake/Holley 90mm (waiting on Vararam cathedral, long wait I know)
No dyno numbers

What I'd like to note is the difference in tuning. With the previous setup that was less than 8:1DCR I was limited to 26* peak timing and had to pull timing in other areas like 6th gear freeway uphill.

So far with the current setup I am up to 28* peak timing with absolutely no signs of knock anywhere. It's very obvious that I need more timing everywhere with this setup. My VE is up to about 113% at peak tq and that was with the previous 26* timing. Inj duty is up 5% with a smaller cam and LS2 intake. Going to play around some more this week. All I can say is that I'm quite happy with the heads so far!!!
Old 11-09-2015 | 05:41 AM

FWIW, that mirrors what I saw. VE way up vs previous - 10-15% ish. Your fuel quality is better than I have available, though. Very curious to see your numbers!
Old 11-09-2015 | 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya it's 98 RON so about 93 RON/MON in the US. I have no idea if there is even a dyno near here. I'll have to ask my neighbor.

Quick Reply: MMS 220 heads....Info, Pics, and discussion inside