Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Lq4 value and reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded Lq4 value and reliability

Looking for some advice on an Lq4 that I'd like to swap into my 68 camaro. The engine had 75000 miles when the Ls3 heads/fast intake/comp cam/arp rod bolts/crane rockers were installed. 3000 miles since mods (assuming fairly hard miles, that's what their built for). I realize this is a tough question but is this set up reliable? Time for a rebuild? And what's it worth? Any help would be appreciated. All add ons were brand new.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Define "comp cam"? As it pertains to rpm which has a lot to do with reliability.
Were the ARP bolts done right with resizing or halfassed and done in the engine egging the rod ends?

Off the top of my head it would be easy to assume this was done with "magazine research" which is NOT a compliment.
The lack of detail from you suggests a lack of detail from the seller which makes it hard to presume they knew what they were doing.

Most knowledgable folks will use one of the factory rectangle port intakes even if making the arguably poor choice of using those heads on a 4.00" bore and then aftermarket roller rockers are usually considered a poor choice unless going rather aggressive on the cam which leads to needing more serious valvesprings which are a maintenance item with aftermarket cams.

Then again maybe he selected a very mild cam to compliment the rockers which can be more difficult to control, most vendors will suggest stock rockers due to this but old school guys who refuse to learn assume they have to go roller because that is what you did 20+ years ago, same with the intake, many new to the LS blindly assume aftermarket is a must.

The 75K miles is the item of least concern, of more concern to me is the parts list that looks like good intentions but no knowledge.

Maybe with more detailed info you could prove my wild *** guess wrong but based on what you offered that is my opinion.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Define "comp cam"? As it pertains to rpm which has a lot to do with reliability.
Were the ARP bolts done right with resizing or halfassed and done in the engine egging the rod ends?

Off the top of my head it would be easy to assume this was done with "magazine research" which is NOT a compliment.
The lack of detail from you suggests a lack of detail from the seller which makes it hard to presume they knew what they were doing.

Most knowledgable folks will use one of the factory rectangle port intakes even if making the arguably poor choice of using those heads on a 4.00" bore and then aftermarket roller rockers are usually considered a poor choice unless going rather aggressive on the cam which leads to needing more serious valvesprings which are a maintenance item with aftermarket cams.

Then again maybe he selected a very mild cam to compliment the rockers which can be more difficult to control, most vendors will suggest stock rockers due to this but old school guys who refuse to learn assume they have to go roller because that is what you did 20+ years ago, same with the intake, many new to the LS blindly assume aftermarket is a must.

The 75K miles is the item of least concern, of more concern to me is the parts list that looks like good intentions but no knowledge.

Maybe with more detailed info you could prove my wild *** guess wrong but based on what you offered that is my opinion.
Thanks for the reply. As for good intention parts list but no knowledge I'm not sure that is the case of the builder but lack of knowledge on my part is definately an issue. He definately gave me the highlights and I didn't ask the details. I will be asking the questions you listed above. 👍
Old 04-02-2015, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

With a good tune, good gas and assuming they were installed correctly there's no reason to think it's not going to be reliable.

First of all it's only got 75k miles on it, which is nothing for an LS engine. Secondly, you've replaced a whole bunch of parts on the engine so half of it is brand new and upgraded over stock. If anything, you've gotten an even more reliable engine than when it was stock.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the rods weren't resize it could be a time bomb......

Quick Reply: Upgraded Lq4 value and reliability