Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping out LS1

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping out LS1

So my LS1 has a nice gouge in my cylynder bay and wondering what will be cheaper rebuilding the LS1 or getting a different engine all together the motor has 166k miles my friends are telling me go with a 5.3 I know crap about cars and want to produce more hp
Old 04-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long are you going to keep the car?5.3 motors are pick up engines and are cheap.If you are going thinking about a new car than you would not want to spend alot of money on the motor.The ls1 is an aluminum block.It has some parts that are better than the truck engine.If it was my car and I wanted some cheap performance I would put the ls1 heads and an aftermarket cam into a 6.0 truck block.The ls1 block could might be able to be sleeved in the gouged cylinder if its too deep but you are looking at a full engine rebuild
Old 04-16-2015, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can find used 5.3s and lQ4/9 shortblocks for relativley cheap in the classifieds on here. but i know you can also get them built fresh ones from a few sponsors on here for about the same as a ls1 rebuild. I personally just got a shortblock from thompson, good customer service, was built and delivered in less then 30days. id recommend calling them and telling them what you want and im sure theyll give you a good deal. atk, and texas-speed are good options too.

Quick Reply: Swapping out LS1