Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 GTO Full cam, heads,4l60e rebuild=won't crank!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 GTO Full cam, heads,4l60e rebuild=won't crank!!

I just signed up on here yesterday, doing my first cam and heads swap, along with fully 4l60e rebuild, and added 3200 stall. I'll start with cam, called up Brian tooley racing and ordered his N/a stage 3 package, cam specs are comp cams-231/242 . 617"/.592" 112+2 10 degrees of overlap. Springs are duals with steel retainers, 660" lift. Bought a set of lingenfelter cnc ported and polished 243's milled .050". New adjustable timing gears and chains. All new gaskets, o-rings..if it was removed, it was replaced. Been planning this build for a while, but what prompted it was I blew the up the veins in the stock 4l60 pump, so figured I'd tackle it all..think my ego out weighed my shade tree skills. Trans got full rebuild, including TCI billet pump, new input drum, servos, sensors etc. Also went with TCI 3200 stall, trans cooler, new driveshaft carrier bearings, flex joints. Worst part about this is my alot of my current knowledge came during and after my build. Long story short, got everything hooked up, won't start. Didn't wanna turnover, which is the exact moment I took a **** in my pants..but turned out battery was dead. Backing up a sec, was told I would have PTV clearance issues, so did clay simulation, lol, and went through clay and stenciled piston .010"..ha, so ****** shitty it's funny!!! So I fly cut my piston, and went with 7.350" BTR hardened push rods. Anyway, got battery, car turns over , but won't crank..my brain is mush, scared to death. Not really about the money, but I hate failure..Anyway I could get some advice from the alumni??? Thank you gentlemen.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

, car turns over , but won't crank
Gibberish, read in context it crank and or turns over those mean the same thing but it wont fire.

Sounds like you realize you went into this VERY ignorant and it shows, you made some bad bad choices and are still using some decades outdated terminology.

Given some of the choices you made like TCI parts, you will get to have another chance at this.

First thing is first, check for fuel and spark.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Gibberish, read in context it crank and or turns over those mean the same thing but it wont fire.

Sounds like you realize you went into this VERY ignorant and it shows, you made some bad bad choices and are still using some decades outdated terminology.

Given some of the choices you made like TCI parts, you will get to have another chance at this.

First thing is first, check for fuel and spark.
I think what he meant was, the engine turns over by hand but won't crank with the starter. If this is the case, I would start checking for grounds and other electrical connections to make sure they are all hooked up.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe, really tough to help folks when they can't coherently describe what is going on.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna check all my grounds and retrace my steps. Thank you. Like I said at first, new to site. Was very frustrated when I posted this, so please excuse any lack of detail or "outdated" terminology. I'm sure in time I'll be more descriptive.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Does the starter work or not? If the starter isn't working check fuses and power going to starter. You messed with the tranny so it could be your neutral safety switch causing your starter not to work. Car has to be in neutral or park so it is able to start.

Quick Reply: 2004 GTO Full cam, heads,4l60e rebuild=won't crank!!