Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS9 cam in NA LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS9 cam in NA LQ9

I recently picked up an LQ9 to swap into my C3. The previous owner of the engine also had an LS9 cam, LS2 cover, sprocket, chain dampener, and harness extension that wasn't being used so he gave it to me.

I understand there are better cams out there, but I wasn't planning on doing anything to the engine besides headers, LS6 intake, and tune.

From my understanding the LS9 cam is tailored more for boosted applications. I've only read about this cam going into turbo'd LQ4s and some NA LS3s. How well would the LS9 cam compare to the stock cam in an NA LQ9?

The motor is going in with a T56 and it has 3.55s in the rear. Mainly used for street driving, autocross, and occasional track day.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:30 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

This seems to keep coming up from time to time. The LQ9 cam, because it is deigned for boost, has very little overlap. As a result, without the forced induction, it will not carry power on the high end, which in a corvette, is where you want the power.

If you do the work, you'll find you just invested a bunch of time into a cam for no benefit. If it were me, I'd keep the stock cam over that LS9 cam.

Actually, if it were me, I'd spring for a cam motion drop in cam, so I wouldn't need to worry about springs, clearance or anything, and I'd have a great runner for that C3.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured as much. I was kinda hoping a cam would be better than no cam.

I guess I'll stick with the stock cam for now until I can put together the budget for a proper heads and cam setup later.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

The LS9 cam is really meant for a rectangle port head.... If I was go run that cam I would pair it up with LS3 heads/intake. That cam has a wide split. Ls3 heads seems to perform well with wide split cams.

Quick Reply: LS9 cam in NA LQ9