Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backwards pistons? Big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015 | 10:23 PM
Teching In

Default Backwards pistons? Big deal?

I was recently going through pictures from my LQ9 build for a build thread and noticed that all four pistons on the passenger side are in backwards. Engine is already in the truck and running unfortunately. I had a local machine shop put the bottom end together. All four dots are facing the rear of the engine on that side. Is this something I should be calling them about? I know they're flat tops so the shape isn't an issue. But they're not new pistons and have already spent some time going the other way around.

Thoughts?
Old 05-28-2015 | 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Not an issue as long as they were pressed on the rods backwards also. Now, supposedly the rods are orientated in such a way that they go in to where the inserts leave plenty of room for radiused crank. But the LSx's don't have this issue. No radius. Now, if they are just stock, and never removed from the rods, then yes they are backwards....yes, it's wrong, but I can tell you from experience in engine assembly that the rods won't contact anything, and other than you knowing it's wrong won't do any mechanical damage.

Quick Reply: Backwards pistons? Big deal?