Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"LS2" with 317 Heads?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lsfanatic
That is a good point, I have kind of been thinking how much is 100 lbs in the grand scheme but I guess it is more detrimental than I think.

I eventually want to do autocross every now and then and maybe some road course events, so handling will be a concern.
If your that worried about a 100 pounds on the front. Just relocate the battery to the rear and add a extra to compensate. This would be better bc weight would be over the rear were its needed. And this should balance the car back out.

Besides look at guys who turbo there corvettes. Do u honestly not think that hangin a intercooler, piping, and twin turbos doesnt add extra weight on there cars. I guaratee you thats an extra hundred pounds if not more. Doesnt affect them .

Last edited by brandon6.0; 09-03-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
If your that worried about a 100 pounds on the front. Just relocate the battery to the rear and add a extra to compensate. This would be better bc weight would be over the rear were its needed. And this should balance the car back out.

Besides look at guys who turbo there corvettes. Do u honestly not think that hangin a intercooler, piping, and twin turbos doesnt add extra weight on there cars. I guaratee you thats an extra hundred pounds if not more. Doesnt affect them .
True, though most guys running turbo vettes make their car for the strip not for handling events right?
Old 09-03-2015, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A 100lb penalty is nothing when adding 200-400hp with FI

100lbs on a NA application is like adding a small passenger permanently to the car.. Won't slow you down a whole lot but you might feel it..
Old 09-04-2015, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandon6.0

Turbos also add hundreds of extra HP to over-compensate for weight gains, and are not desirable for a track setup at all due to added heat, weight, complexity, and less linear power delivery. Adding extra batteries to add yet MORE weight to an overweight car is absurd IMO. I wouldn't say weight doesn't affect them...if it didn't GM engineers would not have put an aluminum block in every corvette made since 1997.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The added weight of cable would just be another detriment to a car intended for handling purposes.

Turbo cars are a bad comparison because they will be awful for handling in most scenarios. The added complexity, weight, and unpredictable power delivery versus a simple n/a V8 are counter intuitive IMO.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

So I checked this afternoon, it is an iron block.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

So I checked this afternoon, it is an iron block.
ratz, tell the previous owner to reimburse you some cash since it isn't the ls2 it was advertised as
Old 09-05-2015, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Burken01
ratz, tell the previous owner to reimburse you some cash since it isn't the ls2 it was advertised as
Haha yeah I could try that. Though I feel like I should have checked that before purchasing.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:54 PM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Haha yeah I could try that. Though I feel like I should have checked that before purchasing.
I disagree. I would not think to check if a block was iron in a corvette advertised as having a LS2. That's not something you should have to check
Old 09-05-2015, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I disagree. I would not think to check if a block was iron in a corvette advertised as having a LS2. That's not something you should have to check
True, I guess I could try giving him a call.

Being an iron block wont bother me a whole lot for now though. Car still hauls pretty good so eventually I will change it out but I am pretty content for now.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Out of curiosity what would you say the price difference is between a low mileage LQ9 or a low mileage LS2?

From what I'm seeing its about $6k for a LS2 and about $2k for a LQ9, does that sound right?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Out of curiosity what would you say the price difference is between a low mileage LQ9 or a low mileage LS2? From what I'm seeing its about $6k for a LS2 and about $2k for a LQ9, does that sound right?
Ls2 longblocks could be had for $2,500

So I'd say $1k difference or so etc...
Old 09-08-2015, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Ironic statement coming from someone with an "iron block LS2" in sig
Old 09-08-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,145 Posts

LOL!!! TO be fair, though it is 243 heads, LS2 cam, and I did it on purpose, no rip-off report.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read this whole thread and I have to agree that it sucks. I'm running an LQ9 in my car too... with 243 heads though. The only real advantage of an LQ9 vs the LS2 block is the ability to bore the LQ9 out considerably further.... not something you can take advantage of right now.
Since you already have the LQ' engine in there you might as well just go with it and try to make up the weight difference if it bugs you. ( I'm sure losing 100lbs won't be hard ).
Old 09-08-2015, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
I just read this whole thread and I have to agree that it sucks. I'm running an LQ9 in my car too... with 243 heads though. The only real advantage of an LQ9 vs the LS2 block is the ability to bore the LQ9 out considerably further.... not something you can take advantage of right now.
Since you already have the LQ' engine in there you might as well just go with it and try to make up the weight difference if it bugs you. ( I'm sure losing 100lbs won't be hard ).
Honestly I have been thinking of just running with this motor for the next year or so and possibly camming it in that time period. In the mean time look into the LS1 motor that came with the car and see if its worth anything. Depending on if its good/rebuildable I may build that into a stroker or something of the like for some decent N/A power.

Eventually I think I may want to do boost on this car so maybe then I could use the LQ block to build a forged motor for that if I didn't find something else to dump it into before then (like a jet boat...).
Old 09-10-2015, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't just lay down for this guy. You said the seller "owns a shop and his people installed the engine". The "LS2" engine.

He advertised it as such knowing damn well it was shady. It is NOT an LS2, period. This happens all of the time unfortunately.
I'd call him up and I'd call him out on it.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Teching In

I agree totally with the last guy! It doesn't have an LS2 in it it has a LQ9 and the seller knew it. The difference is about $1,000 and he should reimburse you or take him to small claims court. I have a LS2 out of a 2007 vette and I paid $1,500 for it to rebuild and put in my 2000 WS6. Good luck brother!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
Don't just lay down for this guy. You said the seller "owns a shop and his people installed the engine". The "LS2" engine.

He advertised it as such knowing damn well it was shady. It is NOT an LS2, period. This happens all of the time unfortunately.
I'd call him up and I'd call him out on it.
Originally Posted by TWOKWS6
I agree totally with the last guy! It doesn't have an LS2 in it it has a LQ9 and the seller knew it. The difference is about $1,000 and he should reimburse you or take him to small claims court. I have a LS2 out of a 2007 vette and I paid $1,500 for it to rebuild and put in my 2000 WS6. Good luck brother!
Thanks guys. I have yet to give him a call, but I certainly will.

Don't think the difference is worth it to take him to court. In my mind I wouldn't really have a legal argument any way as technically all used cars sold by a private party are "as is".
Old 09-15-2015, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you didn't buy the car to be a matching numbers collectors item then who cares, hopefully what you paid for the car reflects the motor that's in it, and was a good deal and just like others have said a few more options and having an iron block.

However, the guy is a dirtbag. Guarantee he knows what engines in it, because doesn't he have supposedly "ls crazy techs" that work for him?
No I don't think it's anything worth going to court over, but he does need a square punch in the nose, and then you could call it even.

So sick of people taking advantage of people.

Quick Reply: "LS2" with 317 Heads?