Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reusing rings, is it okay?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reusing rings, is it okay?

So, I have a 5.3 block that looks pretty good for all the mileage on it. Crank and pistons seem pristine (for a 100k engine) but the cylinders have lost 85% of the hatch mark. I maybe MAAAAAYBE boosting the engine (more for an educational reason) when it is in the car, before it goes to the truck. I am trying to keep this low buck as possible, if not lower (yea, I know thats a oxy moronic statement). I was looking at getting new cheap set of $35 rings but they are all moly coated. I have heard this is not so great in an engine that has forced induction. When this things goes together, I plan on it staying together for the next 100k miles. If the top and second ring gap out okay, is it okay to reuse top & second ring with new oil rings? I dont think it would hurt but my purist of mindset says to put in new rings. Problem is, a new set of uncoated (good) rings cost a good $90+. Thats a little out of the budget for "this" budget build. Then again, I just might have to bite it on this one!?
Old 10-07-2015, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you want it to last another 100k, especially under boost, I'd change them. In the grand scheme of things $90 is peanuts...and it will probably cost you more down the road to replace them again vs. doing it now.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really should install the rings necessary for boost if your boosting it. With boost there is a ton more heat, with that, the rings should be CAREFULLY chosen for the intended application. You need to clearance those properly so it wont "rub out 80% of the hash marks on your cly walls" or even worse, total ring failure due to being overstressed in that cyl. You should hit youtube and search Nelson Racing Engines, why the LS is such a good engine. He gives a very understandable and informative explanation of what I'm getting at here.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If NA then ball hone and use new rings to seal it up good
If any possibility of boosting....the best way is to get a set of Sealed Power Hell Fire rings and customize the end gaps
If budget is the primary concern and boost "might happen" then the 100K worn factory rings will have slightly larger end gaps which will definitely help when boosted to not butt the ends together from the added heat which then breaks the piston ring lands off.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

The stock rings are very good!
I know one rather famous forum member who bought from GM for his low 8 second SBE Nova.
They aren't cheap.

Many folks reuse the stock with a simple regap for turbo use.

Lots of LS based engines eclipse 200k miles.

And, the top ring is moly stock. Iron ring with a moly filled channel.

I reused the stock rings. Gapped the top to .024 for boost. Cleaned and inspected everything and reassembled.
Running low nines and has no blow by.

Ron

Quick Reply: Reusing rings, is it okay?